Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of small DIY home build

Options
  • 18-05-2017 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Myself and my girlfriend have a dream to have our own home built by the time we are 30.

What I'm wondering is how much would it cost to build a small-medium sized mostly wood home?

We want to do most of the work ourselves but we will have direction from professionals.

We want to purchase an acre site to build on which we will spend about 20K on.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Impossible to tell without drawings, spec, site conditions.
    Anything from 150k to 300k plus

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

See the link below for local inspiration but there's lots of other sources online. Don't forget to factor in cost changes since then as I think it's 10 yrs old now. You'll also have to account for lots of other elements like any recent build reg changes, planning, site analysis, connection to all utilities, council contribution, engineer to sign off on work etc. All these costs could surpass 20k easy so it all adds up quick.

http://www.irishvernacular.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Peter03

Thanks for replies. I understand it's hard to give an estimation for cost. Could a project like one on the website linked be completed for under 100k for example?

Cost is going to be our biggest issue as I'm sure it is with all builds. We plan on doing most if not all labour work ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Peter03 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies. I understand it's hard to give an estimation for cost. Could a project like one on the website linked be completed for under 100k for example?

Cost is going to be our biggest issue as I'm sure it is with all builds. We plan on doing most if not all labour work ourselves.

Bear in mind I have zero experience but am educating myself on the subject recently. I'd like to think it's entirely possible once you factor in all the previous stuff mentioned, as it was done by himself and friends with one or two experts coming in at certain stages it seems for roof, electrical and plumbing. Having people you know in trades would help. The key would be to get the house liveable in initially like he did and then tip away at it for some years afterwards to go beyond. Others may say it will be impossible but some people also wouldn't want a house this small or built to this aesthetic.

Not too sure how this build matches with all recent build regulations but I know another architect did some figures for it and reckoned if done right it would be almost passive house standards for insulation - http://www.markstephensarchitects.com/more-on-dominic-stevens-e25000-house/

Have a look around in the blog for the link above as this architect has a few posts about this and about building smaller, simpler and more affordable housing.

Advertisement