Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you support killing the native population of a planet for humanity to survive?

• 18-05-2017 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭

Say hypothetically earth was uninhabitable and humans need to move to survive, they find another planet that can support life but theres native sentient beings there that are dangerous /infectious to us so in order to live there we need to kill them. Just saw the new alien covenant movie and
    there was a scene that reminded me of this. It was interesting seeing humans as the apocalyptic aggressor that we always portray aliens as in films.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

wakka12 wrote: »
    Say hypothetically earth was uninhabitable and humans need to move to survive, they find another planet that can support life but theres native sentient beings there that are dangerous /infectious to us so in order to live there we need to kill them. Just saw the new alien covenant movie and
    there was a scene that reminded me of this. It was interesting seeing humans as the apocalyptic aggressor that we always portray aliens as in films.

Bet aliens/other sentient beings would taste lovely with some Hoisin sauce while being cooked over a barbecue.

What time are we eating them op?

I'll bring some knives and beer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

No. Maybe they live on one continent, we live on the other? Either that or I'd rather die myself than oppress another people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

How big is this planet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Are they hot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yeah. I'm team human, fcuk the aliens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

pragmatic1 wrote: »

The question was would you kill them not would you fcuk them but I like your thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I'd probably kill most of the human population of this planet in order for humanity to survive, TBH. Morals and ethics aside for a second, we really need an epidemic of global proportions to bring the population back down to manageable levels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

How about a worldwide heads or tails lottery where every second person is sterilised? That would keep our own planet going for a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Depends how good the marketing/propaganda campaign was? i.e. if it rivaled how the Japanese population viewed the Americans in WW2 then yes, I will help kill these vicious creatures. On the other hand if it was more like the Irish government introducing water tax then I'd be in the **** no I don't want to kill these things. Unfortunately they'd outsource to some military contractor to kill the things anyway so they'd get dead regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

How about a worldwide heads or tails lottery where every second person is sterilised? That would keep our own planet going for a lot longer.

I think climate change will sort that out sooner than later, the place effected less will need to build some big walls before it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

mike_ie wrote: »
    I'd probably kill most of the human population of this planet in order for humanity to survive, TBH. Morals and ethics aside for a second, we really need an epidemic of global proportions to bring the population back down to manageable levels.

Not sure that's true at all, global population stats show we are at peak growth, population will level out at around 11 billion. Most economic studies show that we have plenty of resources to fuel that population, although we'd need to spread it a little more equally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Prime Irish Beef

We would be the aliens if we moved to their planet.

I think we should stay the fcuk at home and leave them alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Django99 wrote: »
    Not sure that's true at all, global population stats show we are at peak growth, population will level out at around 11 billion. Most economic studies show that we have plenty of resources to fuel that population, although we'd need to spread it a little more equally.

Nonsense to justify people having more and more and more kids ...

Really? Can you show me evidence of rising birth rates? I can't find any developed or developing countries where the birth rate has risen in the last 50 years, literally none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If you look at the time line of life on earth, we came here very late and proceeded to destroy the place. Also if you look at the damage we did to America and Australia's inhabitants there is nothing to say we would not do the same to another planet/inhabitants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Really? Can you show me evidence of rising birth rates? I can't find any developed or developing countries where the birth rate has risen in the last 50 years, literally none.

You're right that theyre dropping but still far far far too high in many countries around the world

You're right that theyre dropping but still far far far too high in many countries around the world

Well that's true but as long as it continues to drop that's the important thing, and it will. The population is growing because people are living longer, and that's clearly a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Have you read Game Control by Lionel Shriver? :D Very interesting book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

If we do a cull in the third world countries then we'll be grand. Just as long as we keep enough of them around to make our sneakers, we should be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

No it isn't. People in the West aren't having enough kids. That's a bigger problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You do know that the population of the world could fit into the state of Texas with a space of 10 sq m each? Do you also know that the population of Europe is dropping and the population of China is getting older? This over population is a myth, we also produce enough food every year to feed a population of 10 billion. Don't let these facts stop you from believing in scare stories.

If we do a cull in the third world countries and we'll be grand. Just as long as we keep enough of them around to make our sneakers, we should be alright.

Lots of interesting views on what constitutes a third world countries anymore, or a third world city. Is Shanghai in the third world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

What do you think is going to happen to the planet?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd like to think I wouldn't support it but it would likely happen regardless as once something isn't considered human we're pretty much hard wired to not really care if we wipe it out or subjugate it for our own gain (see how slavery/genocide/colonisation were all rationalised at the time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Lots of interesting views on what constitutes a third world countries anymore, or a third world city. Is Shanghai in the third world?

Ah, any old country where they live on less than $2 a day and aren't predominately white will do. I'm not really choosy - just as long as I get to pretend I'm doing it for environmental reasons… if it messes with Nikes though, I'll be raginig!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It'll probably be thousands of years or even millions of years before we get the chance to wipe out life on another planet so that we can colonise it. Probably more likely that another species will come here and wipe us out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

This is an interesting question if you're applying the ability of space travel with our current "reptile" fight or flight brains.

I'm going to argue that we would not need to.

If 2017 mentality humans were to arrive at a planet using space travel then we are arguably more advanced than the planets native inhabitants. Were we to decide to exterminate them then it would probably be a trivial matter. A few orbital bombs and then press the EZ button.

However, it's important to remember that by reaching space travel age it means we've progressed as humanity past mutually assured destruction and are now cooperating as a global civilization. Our one singular goal would be to avoid conflict and focus on expansion in search of resources.

Finding an inhabited planet with resources would result in us simply moving onto the next planet.

---

That being said, if pressed. No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

According to a lot of s/f stories, war on another planet is such a logistacal nightmare that it's nigh on impossible. Every bullet, loaf of bread, bandage etc has to be transported from the gravity well of Earth, and across space to the "front". The home team is at s huge advantage. War buffs can count on one hand how many wars have been won by the invading force over the home gurillua force.

Also, long term, trying to wipe out the indigenous population always comes back to bite you in the ass as you just can't get 100% wipe out.

Lastly, if we f'd up our planet, what makes ppl think "it will be different this time"? Human nature will always surface, regardless of what land we are on.

So, no. I wouldn't kill the locals.

A couple of people have said this already, but this question has already been answered twice in the last few hundred years. Europeans arrived in North America and Australia and culled the native population to take advantage of the resources on the land. Both these events are still celebrated today which would suggest the human population as whole would have absolutely no problem doing it again. Especially if the native population weren't similar to humans, then it wouldn't even be in doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

With the Australia and America examples you can put Ireland which was invaded by the English who categorised the native Irish as savage, unchristian and unworthy of existence to justify their land grab. They even got the backing and sanction of the pope for their actions.

Other cultures have similar episodes in their history such as the Balts, wiped out by the Teutonic orders in the 8th and ninth century and the way the Germanic tribes tried to wipe out the Slavs in countless wars even up to the 20th Century.

All this process starts by dehumanising the opposition, calling them terrorists, savages, other races, foreigners etc and fomenting fear and loathing in the general population so that public opinion permits the slaughter to commence.

Most of a population does not need to get directly involved in the process, they just need to allow it to happen with no opposition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭biscuithead

Well if we are on their planet then WE are the aliens.

It's only a matter of time before that happens. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Well if we are on their planet then WE are the aliens.
    Meh, still team human. **** those aliens. I think we need something like aliens to bring all of humanity together for a common goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Meh, still team human. **** those aliens. I think we need something like aliens to bring all of humanity together for a common goal.

The problem is that if aliens in space faring ships visit us it means we're at an enormous and immediate disadvantage.

Humanity is pretty much game over in that scenario.

be8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Life on alien worlds could be very, very alien though. I didn't realise just how different until some youtube video pointed out that DNA is just one solution to the problem, so alien life could have a different coding system that's just completely incompatible with life from earth in every conceivable way.

That's means just about everything on the planet could be toxic to us, so there's no advantage to just wiping out the sentient life forms, you'd probably need to sterilize the planet.

The only advantage I can see to occupying an already occupied planet is that the local life has already oxygenated the atmosphere. But eradicating life on that planet means we need to quickly replace whatever was producing the oxygen.

The fact remains though, whatever we made to get to the other planet would probably be a better place to live than any planet other than earth. Space ships can be expanded as needed as long as we have the resources.

I don't think once we move into space that we'll ever settle another planet, it's a waste of time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement