Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose my first bike

• 18-05-2017 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am 25 years old
    I was looking at:
    Ducati 959 or 899
    Ducati 1299
    KTM superduke 1290
    Bmw r1200gs

I did my IBT 2 days ago but I couldn't find these options on Irish sites, nothing good anyway.
    What would be the best? And where should I look? I will use my bike to commuting long distances, approx 40miles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

First bike and looking at 1290 KTMs and a Ducati 1299.....summer is here!

Long distance commuting on a 1290....you need to rethink this gringo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Think you might need to rethink your list. All well and good wanting those particular bikes but even with you just having done IBT, you may not get insured on the above or even if you do prepare to pay big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

Anabolic wrote:
    I am 25 years old I was looking at: Ducati 959 or 899 Ducati 1299 KTM superduke 1290 Bmw r1200gs

Have you got a quote on any of them? Can't imagine they are reasonable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

Honda Shadow 1100, can't be beat

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

They are all great bikes - but not sure how great some would be for commuting - also quite a lot of bike for a first bike. I would not advise anyone to get e.g. the 1290 superduke unless you had a few years experience - way to easy to get into seriously trouble very quickly. GS would be better for commuting and less hooligan but still a pretty big bike.

Edit: everyone got there before me. Start on something more suitable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Seriously use the search function and read all the other first bike threads, we don't recommend it. Also ask your IBT instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hodge32

Lad, you gotta get something smaller for your first bike for at least 6 months... I'd suggest something like a V-Strom 1000, light to drive, good on fuel, no bother clocking up high mileage. They're well proven. Plenty of good value out there...
    Obviously money isn't an issue!! So then, its got to be the new 1090 adventure... Much more nimble in traffic than the 1290 for commuting... But I'd still recommend something more "sensible" to you get the grips with the roads and OTHER road users, no matter how good of a driver you believe you are.....
    Best of luck which ever road you follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

If this is your first ever bike, that list will make it your last as well.

Get something smaller to get going, you dont even need to have it for that long, then once you are comfortable, get one of the above.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hodge32 wrote: »
    Lad, you gotta get something smaller for your first bike for at least 6 months... I'd suggest something like a V-Strom 1000

???

I started on a 125! lol

I'm sure a 600 or similar is plenty big enough for the first 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Panigale is really the only choice for a first bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Looks like monies no issue.....I suggest something more reasonable to ride, and 1 off that list to polish and take fotos of

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I think it's a troll to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

25 on a learner permit on a 959 :eek: - You won't get a quote and if you do it will probably be about €5000

Get a bandit 600 or sv650 for a year (and try not to kill yourself ) have your year NCB then try again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I think it's a troll to be honest.

It's a 1st post .. definitely a troll :D Or.. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

40 mile commute? desmosedici obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 27 scarebus03

Kwak H2R all the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

scarebus03 wrote: »
    Kwak H2R all the way!

Waste of a bike!

Grom 125

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Grom 125

and stick a cr450 engine right? else getouttaere with your sensible suggestions :pac:

Well the thread is a joke so why not the suggestions.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

My first bike was a Yamaha 50. :o

Advertisement