Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Cornell Dead @ 52

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Really dreadful news. Devastating for his family and friends. The man was supremely talented. He had the balls to go outside his comfort zone and while it didn't always work out, he deserves huge credit for his achievements over the years.

If there's one song that encapsulates Soundgarden for me it's this one. An absolute beast of a song from an album on which they were at the zenith of their powers. Btw I'm not for one second implying that his death was a sucide, the word just happens to be in the song title. RIP Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Waara Rex

Very sad. Can't believe it. RIP Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

I was actually listening to "Rowing" by Soundgarden when I got a push notification on my phone about the news.

"Don't know where I'm going, I just keep on rowing."

I saw him for the first time in the Olympia last year. Unfortunately, it would also be my last...:(

I wished to see Soundgarden live some day but now it will never happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Lucky enough to see him live twice (solo and with soundgarden) , what an amazing talent and gifted songwriter.
    Probably the best voice in rock.
    Such a huge part of my teenage years, too many good tunes to mention.
    Huge loss to music.
    Condolences to his family and friends.
    RIP Chris
    Thanks for the music..
    A sad sad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Spent a car journey 2 days ago getting a family member into audioslave.

Too soon, RIP to one of the greatest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

RIP Chris. Great Voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

scudzilla wrote: »
    This was denied yesterday, said it was a hoax, now I'm hoping the news people have picked up on this hoax and it's all a load of bollocks

I never heard about the hoax yesterday, he tweeted 11 hours ago (7 hours ago when i first hear it, which for some reason made it seem even weirder).

https://twitter.com/chriscornell

very sad R.I.P. Amazing artist and singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Very sad day.
    All we have left now are Vedder, Homme and Grohl.
    He was such an intelligent musician in the way he didn't try to change Soundgardens unique sound. When he needed solo releases he went and did it with his own slant.
    Audioslave were a breath of fresh air when they came along at a time when rock was suffering with a lack of new talent post grunge.

Remember his solo warm up for Aerosmith in Marlay Park in 07 I think, his voice immaculate.
    Saw Soundgarden in the point on their last visit but knew what to expect as a band, Cornell was still great as always though.

Grew up hooked on the down on the upside album, great music.

The differences between seasons/say hello to heaven and try Cobb/rusty cage show his range.
    Some loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

His wife called the hotel to get them to check on him and his body was found with something round his neck. Being reported as a possible suicide. That doesn't make much sense. I really hope it isn't that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Caught completely off guard by this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Desperately sad. Absolutely loved his voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA9vLHZFrcs

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

RIP dude
    Tragically ironic considering that today is the 37th anniversary of Ian Curtis going

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

No one should have to read news like this, probably the greatest voice in rock IMO.

Saw Audioslave twice and each time was off the charts amazing, this mans voice had it all, and it was only matched by his immense skill and presence on stage.

Properly upset about this one, iconic doesn't do him justice and he is gone too soon.

Goodnight, Chris Cornell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Gintonious wrote: »
    No one should have to read news like this, probably the greatest voice in rock IMO.

Saw Audioslave twice and each time was off the charts amazing, this mans voice had it all, and it was only matched by his immense skill and presence on stage.

Properly upset about this one, iconic doesn't do him justice and he is gone too soon.

Goodnight, Chris Cornell.

I thought about this today. I saw him twice solo, twice with Audioslave, and twice with the reformed Soundgarden. A professional with a keen sense of humour.

Very sad day.
    All we have left now are Vedder, Homme and Grohl.
    He was such an intelligent musician in the way he didn't try to change Soundgardens unique sound. When he needed solo releases he went and did it with his own slant.
    Audioslave were a breath of fresh air when they came along at a time when rock was suffering with a lack of new talent post grunge.

Remember his solo warm up for Aerosmith in Marlay Park in 07 I think, his voice immaculate.
    Saw Soundgarden in the point on their last visit but knew what to expect as a band, Cornell was still great as always though.

Grew up hooked on the down on the upside album, great music.

The differences between seasons/say hello to heaven and try Cobb/rusty cage show his range.
    Some loss.

Great post, sums up my own feelings and I'm sure the feelings of many fans feeling his loss today. And then there's the loss those who knew him and loved him personally are feeling, my condolences to those.

I loved his voice from the first time I heard it, it was the standard of what a rock voice should be for me and I can't see that changing. I often laughed in the past thinking that if I was born with the voice of Cornell, I'd find it hard not to just walk around singing in everyday life instead of talking.
    david75 wrote: »
    His wife called the hotel to get them to check on him and his body was found with something round his neck. Being reported as a possible suicide. That doesn't make much sense. I really hope it isn't that.

Whatever happened, it's a very sad end. Just like Prince last year - No matter what heights you hit in life, no matter how perfect your life is perceived to be through a lens, we're all fighting our own battle and are as likely to die alone in an elevator or a hotel room en-suite as each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Zico !

RIP Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Suicide according to the link and headline but don't give them the clicks , no where in that article does it say anything different to any other agency. Only in the headline does it mention "killed himself"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Suicide according to the link and headline but don't give them the clicks , no where in that article does it say anything different to any other agency. Only in the headline does it mention "killed himself"

I saw a thing that quoted the Associated Press about hanging himself.

Truly gutted, the man was so naturally talented and was able to share it with everyone!

Mushy wrote: »
    I saw a thing that quoted the Associated Press about hanging himself.

Truly gutted, the man was so naturally talented and was able to share it with everyone!

Oh maybe they've updated that sky article too so , I've seen a few other placed quote AP also.

I was just thinking earlier that Superunknown was the first cd I ever bought when upgrading from tapes :o

Used the refund form my Nirvana ticket to buy it. Can still remember cycling down on my lunch from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Black Hole Sun was part of the soundtrack to my J1 in America in 1994. Loved his voice and always had a soft spot for his particular musical 'sound'.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oh maybe they've updated that sky article too so , I've seen a few other placed quote AP also.

I was just thinking earlier that Superunknown was the first cd I ever bought when upgrading from tapes :o

Used the refund form my Nirvana ticket to buy it. Can still remember cycling down on my lunch from school.

I still agree with not clicking on a sky news link haha.

I first encountered Soundgarden when I sold my Metallica 04 ticket. Too young to go on my own, couldn't be bothered seeing Slipknot, bought some cds of bands recommended to me. AIC, PJ and SP were the others, all are in my favourite bands list now.

There is a released police report saying it's suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭hellyeah

Gutted to hear this today. Had the pleasure of seeing soundgarden at donnington and the o2 back in 2012 if memory serves me correct.
    Being a life long fan i was truely mesmerised by both performances.
    A true talent never to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

Black hole sun unplugged is just great!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Shocking news, still can't believe it.........what a dark day for music. R.I.P Chris:(

Great read

Story time.

In the spirit of celebrating Chris Cornell below is a story from the Soundgarden sessions for Down on the Upside. It always makes me smile. Much of what happens in the studio is never to be shared by a non band member, but I know I’m on safe ground. It could be shorter, buy you need some of the back story. Also please forgive my poor writing, for Brian Cook I am not.

It begins in June of 1995. Pearl Jam is in Studio Litho rehearsing for their tour with Neil Young and after that recording a song with Ed Brooks for the Home Alive compilation. I am there as the assistant engineer and am getting acquainted with everyone as we work the kinks out during the first session at the studio.

At some point during the session Mike McCready shows up with a blow up doll, NOT the kind you think. He is named “Safety Man.” His intended use is to sit in your passenger seat so people don’t think you are driving alone. Mike had purchased one for each band member and had brought Stone’s to the studio and blown it up. Eventually Safety Man ends up in the basement along with various other items stored there; Shawn Smith’s (from Brad/Satchel) flamboyant frontman wardbobe, pianos, congas, reels of tape, etc. At some point over the coming months someone (who I believe to be Brian Wood, brother of Andy Wood, from the band Devilhead) dresses the doll up in Shawn Smith’s clothes from the studio’s basement. Big floppy hat covering his plastic face, purple flowing shirt, pants with patches, etc.

When Soundgarden came into the studio in October of 1995 to continue working on the record Safety Man had made his way from the basement, still fully clothed, to a chair on the far side of the kitchen/lounge, which is the room you walk into when you arrive. For quite a while Safety Man would scare the **** out of me when I unlocked the door in the AM because I didn’t expect anyone to be there before me. Eventually I got used to the doll’s presence so I forgot about him.

One of my daily tasks as the assistant (since we didn't ahve interns) was to get our meals. Each night I would bring it back, lay it out, go get whichever members were there and we’d relax and eat. On this night I made my typical trip to a local restaurant and came back with the food. I returned, as expected, to Safety Man calmly keeping guard in the kitchen as the band were in the control room working on something. As I was laying out the food Safety Man got up and started running at me from across the room and yelling. I don’t know exactly how I reacted, but I definitely had the **** scared out of me. Turns out Chris had changed into Safety Man's clothes and had been laying in wait to prank me. Not in 1 million years would I have expected that from him. He got me.

Anyway, that’s my CC story. Thanks for indulging me.

RIP.

Three of my favorites Chris/SG songs:

Tighter and Tighter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHmBz9T7ml0

4th of July - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU4L6THYAbM

Seasons - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TksqEIl1uxU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Evening.. I heard this news this am...
    It is really sad & I have felt quite down today.. I grew up with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains & Soundgarden & then Stone Temple Pilots & the Smashing Pumpkins..
    Chris was a talented musician & had one of the best voices I have ever heard...
    Kurt shot himself, Layne died of drugs of, Scott died of heart attack probably from drug abuse,
    I find life tough a lot & have always found Seattle music kinda cathartic but news like this saddens me...
    I love Pearl Jam & worship Ed Ved... thank God he is still alive & with us

RIP Chris...

Advertisement