Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Cornell Dead @ 52

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

One of the worst days I've had in my recent life. Without being too dramatic, I feel like a family member has died - that's what Chris Cornell and his music has meant to me over the last 15 years or more.

A tough one to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    One of the worst days I've had in my recent life. Without being too dramatic, I feel like a family member has died - that's what Chris Cornell and his music has meant to me over the last 15 years or more.

A tough one to take.

I hear you - grieving the loss of him has been so tough today...really just ready to sleep this day off!

PM if you feel the need to talk.

fluke wrote: »
    I hear you - grieving the loss of him has been so tough today...really just ready to sleep this day off!

PM if you feel the need to talk.

Thanks bro. Consoling myself with a good Soundgarden/Audioslave/TOTD playlist tonight, and raising a glass! It's funny what music can do to you. It gets into your soul without you even realising it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

This is a story from ed vedders show in Seattle back in 2009/10(?)

Ed was having a party in his house. All the soundgarden lads QOTSA etc etc all at the party.
    There's a ukulele in the corner. Eds making the ukulele record at the time. All night chris is staring at the uke like just giving it this disdainful I dunno wtf seriously kinda look.

Ed eventually talks to him and tells him he's making a uke record but it's impossible to find a sad chord on that instrument. Just can't be done.

Chris goes 'challenge accepted'

Hours n hours later. Everyone asleep on the floor etc. Chris is still out on the balcony wrestling with the uke and eds with him and just like 'it can't be done. There are no sad chords in that instrument'

Chris smashed up the uke.

david75 wrote: »
    This is a story from ed vedders show in Seattle back in 2009/10(?)

Ed was having a party in his house. All the soundgarden lads QOTSA etc etc all at the party.
    There's a ukulele in the corner. Eds making the ukulele record at the time. All night chris is staring at the uke like just giving it this disdainful I dunno wtf seriously kinda look.

Ed eventually talks to him and tells him he's making a uke record but it's impossible to find a sad chord on that instrument. Just can't be done.

Chris goes 'challenge accepted'

Hours n hours later. Everyone asleep on the floor etc. Chris is still out on the balcony wrestling with the uke and eds with him and just like 'it can't be done. There are no sad chords in that instrument'

Chris smashed up the uke.

Great story, never heard it before. Have to laugh at Chris' reaction to the Uke, it wouldn't be far away from my own. I'm now wondering if minor chords are possible on a Uke :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Shockin,,, horrid shockin.. and it only recently he attended the opening of Dunnes in Cornelscourt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Shockin,,, horrid shockin.. and it only recently he attended the opening of Dunnes in Cornelscourt

If that's an attempt at humour, it's pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Jaysus, if yer gonna make a joke, make it at least good.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Amazing voice ,arguably best actual Singer in a Rock Band of all time
    This song was always my favorite of his , also possibly had the best ever Bond song with Know my Name

I loved his Bond tune

• Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I heard about this morning and was absolutely gutted. Im still gutted

My dream of seeing AudioSlave getting back together is dashed

Such horrible news, far to young :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

His wife called the hotel to get them to check on him and his body was found with something round his neck. Being reported as a possible suicide. That doesn't make much sense. I really hope it isn't that.

Yup looks to be suicide.

So sad, there must of been a lot of trouble in the background.

He just got off a concert as well and he was actively looking forward to touring as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Genuinely gasped when I read this... I've been a huge fan of Grunge music from when my cousin gave me a bootleg tape (yes I'm that old) of Nevermind for my 12th birthday... Ploughed through Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden etc as an angry angsty teen and even though as I got older the flannel shirts have been replaced with check blouses and my converse have been replaced by... who am I kidding I still live in converse, when I have a crap day, I still throw on Black Hole Sun or Down in a Hole or Heart Shaped Box and it gets me back on track... Another of Seattle's finest sons gone - another little piece of my formative years gone... RIP Chris Cornell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Shocking news. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

RIP Chris. Feel bad today, you will be missed

Lovely pic. Chris Ed and Jeff and Glen. Taken at PJ20

Arequipa wrote: »
    Evening.. I heard this news this am...
    It is really sad & I have felt quite down today.. I grew up with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains & Soundgarden & then Stone Temple Pilots & the Smashing Pumpkins..
    Chris was a talented musician & had one of the best voices I have ever heard...
    Kurt shot himself, Layne died of drugs of, Scott died of heart attack probably from drug abuse,
    I find life tough a lot & have always found Seattle music kinda cathartic but news like this saddens me...
    I love Pearl Jam & worship Ed Ved... thank God he is still alive & with us

RIP Chris...

Look after yourself, bro!

It effin sucks so much that he's gone :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

fluke wrote: »
    It effin sucks so much that he's gone :-(

Just been blasting out Audioslave all morning. It isnt often you get somebody who can take great songs up a few levels, his voice added another dimension to it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Very sad news indeed. I liked Soundgarden & Audioslave were cool too but I absolutely loved that Temple of the dog album, played it a lot back in the day (early 90s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Black Hole Sun was part of the soundtrack to my J1 in America in 1994. Loved his voice and always had a soft spot for his particular musical 'sound'.

What a great time to be on a J1 in America, I'd say those are some special memories with that soundtrack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

He had an amazing voice, wasn't a huge fan..hubby is though. The fact that it was suicide is just awful...be at peace Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I am now wondering if their was pressure on Chris? Financial worries? Maybe he didn't like being in Soundgarden again and felt he couldn't quit, that it would be a failure if he did so.... We'll never know I guess....

Great read. Chris' quotes on Bowie are revealing.
    https://twitter.com/thetwicket/status/865520520602636290

'I may have taken an extra Ativan or two' those are powerful drugs man. I don't think he intentionally set out to kill himself at all.

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/chris-cornells-family-prescription-drugs-may-have-influenced-suicide-1202436611/

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

'I may have taken an extra Ativan or two' those are powerful drugs man. I don't think he intentionally set out to kill himself at all.

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/chris-cornells-family-prescription-drugs-may-have-influenced-suicide-1202436611/

have been a few anti-anxiety medications before and sadly with some people they have bad side effects and can change a person. I hated them and the doctor told me its all in my head etc and the drugs were not contributing to it etc

very sad case for Chris family and friends. Hope they find the strenght to get through it all

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭numbnutz

Walked to an office yesterday morning and the first thing the receptionist told me was this news....for me there's very few deaths that stop you thinking straight and for the whole day just couldn't get it out my head. Stunning voice and what a career he had, always current and creative. Scott and Layne I hope will be waiting to guide him home. Another massive loss to music. Another encore in the sky. Sleep well Chris you rocked everyone's world.

Took me an hour to get any work done yesterday. I had tears in my eyes. I was never much of a "fan boy", but I'm a huge fan of all Soundgarden albums bar 2, (Ultramega and Screaming Life). So I didn't like everything Cornell was involved in, but the stuff I did like, I really did like it, and Superunknown changed my approach to guitar playing as well. I always joked that he was the only man I'd turn gay for! :)

seachto7 wrote: »
    Took me an hour to get any work done yesterday. I had tears in my eyes. I was never much of a "fan boy", but I'm a huge fan of all Soundgarden albums bar 2, (Ultramega and Screaming Life). So I didn't like everything Cornell was involved in, but the stuff I did like, I really did like it, and Superunknown changed my approach to guitar playing as well. I always joked that he was the only man I'd turn gay for! :)

I was useless in work yesterday. I listened to some Cornell songs then didn't (couldn't actually...), then was able to work for 30 mins or so, then wasn't...

Similar to yourself I never really got into the pre-Badmotorfinger stuff. Yesterday evening I bought Louder Then Love and then Songbook, and Higher Truth.

I bought Badmotorfinger on vinyl yesterday. Hummed and hawed for ages because it's expensive, but just thought feck it, today's the day, and used a voucher anyways! Songbook is good. Must give it a spin again.

• Advertisement

Hardly got a tap of work done yesterday myself. I've actually heard from people that I haven't spoken to in years over the past day or two since this news broke. So many people I know are devastated and really feeling this badly.

Advertisement