Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Cornell Dead @ 52

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Sorta shocked but comforting too how widespread this loss has been felt. Too often we sneer at people mourning a celebrity death. Guess we don't know what that person meant to them. Now we do. Still sucks though. Just feel mad winded by it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I follow Chris on Facebook, he was posting stuff Wednesday, so when I saw the thread here yesterday afternoon I was floored, never been so sickened by a celebrity death (Lemmy was sad, but it wasn't surprising) the fact that he was relatively young and he seemed trouble free is what is making this so hard to comprehend, love the Higher Truth album, was looking forward to more introspective acoustic albums in the future.

Listened to the first Audioslave album today, forgot how consistent that album is, love how he purrs the verses on 'Show Me How To Live' and roars his head off for the chorus, and the acoustic breakdown after the solo on 'Like a Stone' is one of my favourites bits of music ever, was welling up listening to 'The Last Remaining Light' :(

Dug this out earlier , was some day out at 15 years old even kissed a girl :o. Smashing Pumpkins in the SXF the night before. Easy to look back and say that those were the days but yeah those WERE F'N THE DAYS !!!!!!!

IMG_20120107_201846.jpg

Agree with posters above re: Celebrate death , for me often it's the memories they invoke of different points in your life when they pass. and with Chris it's mid 90'.s what a time for music and reminded me of the girl I was seeing at the time. First love , someone I hadn't thought of in an age and who actually looked me up on facebook yesterday like another poster above got messages from old friends for the same reason Soundgarden and Chris reminded her of me and told me her news and about her kids etc and I told her about mine. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

I follow Chris on Facebook, he was posting stuff Wednesday, so when I saw the thread here yesterday afternoon I was floored, never been so sickened by a celebrity death (Lemmy was sad, but it wasn't surprising) the fact that he was relatively young and he seemed trouble free is what is making this so hard to comprehend, love the Higher Truth album, was looking forward to more introspective acoustic albums in the future.

Listened to the first Audioslave album today, forgot how consistent that album is, love how he purrs the verses on 'Show Me How To Live' and roars his head off for the chorus, and the acoustic breakdown after the solo on 'Like a Stone' is one of my favourites bits of music ever, was welling up listening to 'The Last Remaining Light' :(

I am the highway got me pretty bad this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Dug this out earlier , was some day out at 15 years old even kissed a girl :o. Smashing Pumpkins in the SXF the night before. Easy to look back and say that those were the days but yeah those WERE F'N THE DAYS !!!!!!!

IMG_20120107_201846.jpg

Agree with posters above re: Celebrate death , for me often it's the memories they invoke of different points in your life when they pass. and with Chris it's mid 90'.s what a time for music and reminded me of the girl I was seeing at the time. First love , someone I hadn't thought of in an age and who actually looked me up on facebook yesterday like another poster above got messages from old friends for the same reason Soundgarden and Chris reminded her of me and told me her news and about her kids etc and I told her about mine. Crazy stuff.

Great line-up. I'm jealous that you got to see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Listening to Temple of The Dog at the moment. It's still mind-blowing to think that he's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Saw soundgarden, faith no more and guns n roses at a gig in würzburg when I was in an Erasmus year in 1992. Ah those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭fyfe79

fluke wrote: »
    I was useless in work yesterday. I listened to some Cornell songs then didn't (couldn't actually...), then was able to work for 30 mins or so, then wasn't...

Similar to yourself I never really got into the pre-Badmotorfinger stuff. Yesterday evening I bought Louder Then Love and then Songbook, and Higher Truth.

The recent re-issue of "Ultramega OK" is worth checking out. Remixed by Jack Endino so it sounds more like the band than the original release did.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I was useless in work yesterday. I listened to some Cornell songs then didn't (couldn't actually...), then was able to work for 30 mins or so, then wasn't...

Similar to yourself I never really got into the pre-Badmotorfinger stuff. Yesterday evening I bought Louder Then Love and then Songbook, and Higher Truth.

The recent re-issue of "Ultramega OK" is worth checking out. Remixed by Jack Endino so it sounds more like the band than the original release did.

Thanks fyfe79 I'll definitely check that out.

Suas11 wrote: »
    Great line-up. I'm jealous that you got to see that.

Sunstroke '95 was my first ever gig. I actually never realised until I saw that ticket that TAD were supposed to play. Pennywise and Spunge (spelling?) played instead.

• Advertisement

Thanks fyfe79 I'll definitely check that out.

No probs. It's the one with the blueish cover. Also has some demo's on it. This one looks pretty cheap:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soundgarden-Ultramega-OK-/142332816123?hash=item2123b26afb:i:142332816123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Got to admit I welled up on this one but it really highlights the genius of the man...Rip chris..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

fyfe79 wrote: »

Must check it out. I only listened to it on Spotify. I find it hard to get into the pre LTL stuff on album. I think the live versions of these songs sound way better.

From Louder Than Love onwards, it's all bloody excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

IMG_20120107_201846.jpg

Pennywise and White Zombie were brilliant. Everyone else was crap. Soundgarden especially looked and sounded like they'd rather be somewhere else on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

seachto7 wrote: »
    Must check it out. I only listened to it on Spotify. I find it hard to get into the pre LTL stuff on album. I think the live versions of these songs sound way better.

From Louder Than Love onwards, it's all bloody excellent.

Listening to the Ultramega OK reissue at the moment and it's excellent, the quality difference took a bit of getting used to and to be honest, i've actually heard aspects of songs I didn't before due to the original quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'll give it another lash so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Big Loss to music.

Looking back, I feel bad about this thread I created in 2009 about the song 'Part of Me' he did with Timbaland. Fair play to him for trying to expand at the time either way anyway.

Possibly Worst Song Ever??

callaway92 wrote: »
    Big Loss to music.

Looking back, I feel bad about this thread I created in 2009 about the song 'Part of Me' he did with Timbaland. Fair play to him for trying to expand at the time either way anyway.

Don't worry about it. We all say (and especially type) things we look back on and wish we didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

callaway92 wrote: »
    Big Loss to music.

I saw him in Dublin when he toured that album and it even tho I wasn't a fan of the new material it actually sounded great with a live band rather than completely digital like the album release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Am I the only one who liked Scream?

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who liked Scream?

I haven't properly given it a shot. Like I've listened to it fully maybe...once.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 philderbeast

Can't believe it. Such a great voice. One of my favourite covers:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

An excellent article that sums up perfectly this whole desperate affair.

https://thefirsttenwords.wordpress.com/2017/05/20/its-not-what-you-think/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I got Scream last year, I didn't expect much, there are 6/7 decent tracks on it, he knew he'd face a big backlash doing it, but did it anyway, I admire him for that, People whinge that AC/DC or Iron Maiden keep making the same album over and over, and when he tried something completely different people were whinging about that too.

Gave Revelations a spin for the first time in years, it's a much better album than I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I got Scream last year, I didn't expect much, there are 6/7 decent tracks on it, he knew he'd face a big backlash doing it, but did it anyway, I admire him for that, People whinge that AC/DC or Iron Maiden keep making the same album over and over, and when he tried something completely different people were whinging about that too.

Gave Revelations a spin for the first time in years, it's a much better album than I remember.

I'll revisit Scream over the next while, I'm sure. Always thought Revelations was the best album that Audioslave did. Wide Awake is an amazing track, especially acoustic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I'll revisit Scream over the next while, I'm sure. Always thought Revelations was the best album that Audioslave did. Wide Awake is an amazing track, especially acoustic.

In my opinion, Audioslave's best 4-5 tracks are all on the first two albums but as an entire album, Revelations is the best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Don't know if you guys saw. His widows mother/his mother in law. Fvckin vile carry on on twitter calling out Eddie Vedder for not attending the funeral and literally trying to make a name for herself and create a celebrity niche for herself by picking a stupid fight. Publicly. It's so appalling the stuff she's posting. They're supposed to be grieving. Doesn't look like it at all.

david75 wrote: »
    Don't know if you guys saw. His widows mother/his mother in law. Fvckin vile carry on on twitter calling out Eddie Vedder for not attending the funeral and literally trying to make a name for herself and create a celebrity niche for herself by picking a stupid fight. Publicly. It's so appalling the stuff she's posting. They're supposed to be grieving. Doesn't look like it at all.

None of this has to do with either men's music or legacy. So I'm gonna ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

david75 wrote: »

Better to ignore that stuff. Not interested in any of it.

Listening to Superunknown at the moment, maybe the album of the 90s for me. Absolutely flawless. One of the greatest hard rock records ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Better to ignore that stuff. Not interested in any of it.

Listening to Superunknown at the moment, maybe the album of the 90s for me. Absolutely flawless. One of the greatest hard rock records ever made.

Totally agree. It's the band's masterpiece. They knew they were onto something very special with that album and it showed. It just lifts itself above any other album of that time for me.

I have very clear memories of listening to it at the time. I remember when Kurt Cobain killed himself. I was a big Nirvana fan and I couldn't really listen to their music for a while, the whole situation was too depressing.

But there was something very comforting about Superunknown. Even though Soundgarden had this grumpy men image, I found the songs to be very uplifting. There was a dreamlike quality about them. And it doesn't sound dated, which is always the sign of a truly great album.

Advertisement