Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Cornell Dead @ 52

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Soundgarden always had the fact that they weren't overplayed to death the same way nirvana and pearl jam were. They were almost on a different level. They were more intelligent or genuine in a lot of ways. And not constantly in your face like the other two, who's music and faces were always being pushed and maybe victims of their own successes in a lot of ways. Especially with regards how both those front men dealt with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Made a very stupid comment in this thread in some **** knows what attempt at humour in a **** situation. I can only apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Listening to the Ultramega OK reissue at the moment and it's excellent, the quality difference took a bit of getting used to and to be honest, i've actually heard aspects of songs I didn't before due to the original quality.

The likes of Circle of Power (with Hiro singing), All Your Lies & Mood for Trouble really stand out. Endino also corrected a missed snare shot by Matt on Flower (at around the 1:20 mark). Absolutely amazing that the original producer left that in.

It really was a "lost" album that seems now found, as such. Just as well it came out a few months ago, or people would be saying that Chris wouldn't have wanted it altered, if it were to come out in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

GN'R covered Black Hole Sun as a tribute to Chris Cornell at their Slane gig yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    GN'R covered Black Hole Sun as a tribute to Chris Cornell at their Slane gig yesterday.

I was there and watching that video thank f--k I experienced gig where I did, Gold circle and the absolute state of those people arms swaying side to side yet they still have the phones out! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Zico !

Totally agree. It's the band's masterpiece. They knew they were onto something very special with that album and it showed. It just lifts itself above any other album of that time for me.

I have very clear memories of listening to it at the time. I remember when Kurt Cobain killed himself. I was a big Nirvana fan and I couldn't really listen to their music for a while, the whole situation was too depressing.

But there was something very comforting about Superunknown. Even though Soundgarden had this grumpy men image, I found the songs to be very uplifting. There was a dreamlike quality about them. And it doesn't sound dated, which is always the sign of a truly great album.

Totally disagree-badmotorfinger is a better album its the album that broke them with classic after classic superunknown is a fine album but not as good

Zico ! wrote: »
    Totally disagree-badmotorfinger is a better album its the album that broke them with classic after classic superunknown is a fine album but not as good

I'd have to agree with greengoblin. Badmotorfinger is great, but the second half is weaker than the second half of Superunknown. A classic album in its own right though.

Am I the only person that absolutely loves Down On The Upside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with greengoblin. Badmotorfinger is great, but the second half is weaker than the second half of Superunknown. A classic album in its own right though.

I love DOTU. Think it's a gem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

DOTU was a grower for me. It took me a while to get into it, but it's pretty good. I wouldn't agree with the statement that BMF is weaker as it goes on. I like all of it, but my favourite is Super... From start to finish. Like Suicide is one of their best songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I just checked the writing credits for DOTU and it turns out all my favourite songs bar one were written by Chris.

It's a bit of a mix bag of an album, a lot less in your face than Superunknown but takes a lot of the doom and gloom and carries on with it.

Its a great album. Overfloater is an amazing tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

seachto7 wrote: »
    DOTU was a grower for me. It took me a while to get into it, but it's pretty good. I wouldn't agree with the statement that BMF is weaker as it goes on. I like all of it, but my favourite is Super... From start to finish. Like Suicide is one of their best songs.

Their best in my opinion. Kim Thayil's solo is just stunning.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I just checked the writing credits for DOTU and it turns out all my favourite songs bar one were written by Chris.

It's a bit of a mix bag of an album, a lot less in your face than Superunknown but takes a lot of the doom and gloom and carries on with it.

It's quite experimental. Compare some of the songs on it to the Badmotorfinger stuff and it's a total contrast. That's what I love about Soundgarden. King Animal was also a very solid comeback album. Wonder if they recorded any new songs for the upcoming record that might be released at some point.

Their best in my opinion. Kim Thayil's solo is just stunning.

Yeah, when they played that a few years back in Dublin, I was delighted. I love how Kim Thayil doesn't really shred, but uses his wah almost to shred.

Not forgetting the Ben Sheperd solo album a few years ago, hints of DOTU on it, and I only recently got the Hater album, which isn't bad. Not brilliant, but worth a listen for sure.

Yeah, when they played that a few years back in Dublin, I was delighted. I love how Kim Thayil doesn't really shred, but uses his wah almost to shred.

Not forgetting the Ben Sheperd solo album a few years ago, hints of DOTU on it, and I only recently got the Hater album, which isn't bad. Not brilliant, but worth a listen for sure.

What was the name of the Ben Shepherd album? Must check that out. He's a great musician.

What was the name of the Ben Shepherd album? Must check that out. He's a great musician.

in Deep Owl, recorded under the name HBS

in Deep Owl, recorded under the name HBS

Nice, thanks dude! Just found a jazz fusion album called Double Play under the name Ben Shepherd on Spotify which is savage! Not sure if it's the same Ben Shepherd but it's savage stuff!

Baron Robber off that HBS album is close in sound to some of the SG stuff. I like the HBS album.

I almost forgot about the Ten Commandos album. Alain Johannes on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Thanks Lads for the head up on the HBS album, just having a listen now, great stuff.
    A couple of songs sound like SG, Koda is great.

Ben's voice on the opening track reminds me of someone but can't put my finger on it.

Just on the DOTU debate, I hated it when I got it first (on cassette, still have it)
    I love it now..

As for favourite album I think BMF just nicks it.

I really didn't give King Animal the time it deserved when released , its a cracking album.
    Shame it took recent events to get me to give it a second chance.

Fingers crossed that some music was recorded recently and will see the light of day.
    Thankful for what we have though.

Check out this link. Sounds kind of like Limo Wreck. Not sure if it's Johannes or Matt Cameron on vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jYKYyxI9QM

I know this is derailing original thread, but still good to tip the hat to guys Cornell has played with and influenced over the years.

His brother Peter Cornell wrote some music too, which is ok, but I haven't delved into it much.

sham69 wrote: »
    Thanks Lads for the head up on the HBS album, just having a listen now, great stuff.
    A couple of songs sound like SG, Koda is great.

Fingers crossed that some music was recorded recently and will see the light of day.
    Thankful for what we have though.

I think Matt drums on that track. HBS album well worth a listen.

I hope Kim doesn't stop making music. I've not heard much of him on other recordings. In fact, they should all just keep going, especially Ben and Kim. Matt's already busy with PJ!

Just had a few tears there listening to Doesn't Remind Me, and I don't even know why. It's very hard to get over this loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

Dargull wrote: »
    Pennywise and White Zombie were brilliant. Everyone else was crap. Soundgarden especially looked and sounded like they'd rather be somewhere else on the day.

Yeah it was an awful gig.... Just awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

It's sad. Eddie Vedder is the only frontman of the major grunge of acts of the 90s who is still alive.

There are a few other "lesser" grunge bands knocking around still. Mudhoney for example, and not sure if folk know of the band called Truly. No longer together, but brought out a decent album way back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Marc Maron just released his chat with chris from two years ago. Told it's a great listen

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/wtf-with-marc-maron-podcast/id329875043?mt=2&i=1000385645688

Afraid to listen to it to be honest. I think I'll leave it. I like Maron, but I'll leave this one in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

david75 wrote: »
    Marc Maron just released his chat with chris from two years ago. Told it's a great listen

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/wtf-with-marc-maron-podcast/id329875043?mt=2&i=1000385645688

Maron barely gets a word in, which is unusual. Very uplifting interview.

Advertisement