Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PES 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I dunno, I'm very impressed with FIFA. Obviously the presentation is far ahead, but I'm enjoying the gameplay too. No craziness either like I experienced in the PES one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Presentation it's no contest and likely never will be. Almost everything is better in fifa like modes, presentation, licences.

But that gameplay, I just can't see how anyone could think it was better. Feels more like a hockey game than a game of football. A complaint I've had about fifa for years now and there seems to be very little change.

It's the deal breaker really, the gameplay. Which is a shame as it has almost everything else going for it. But once the game kicks off I just want it to play more like pro evo.

Fifa has fallen behind in the actual place where it matters most imo.

Also the level of tactics available to the user is still better in pro. I feel like I can shape the way I want my side to play far better in pro.

On a plus, it did seem like fifa has actually managed to make a defensive midfielder behave like a defensive midfielder this time around which is nice. Although it was with limited time playing the demo so it's possible I just didn't notice it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Obvious Otter

Where are people buying this online? Who are the quickest to shipthese days?

Where are people buying this online? Who are the quickest to shipthese days?

People who bought from Game Collection said they got shipped notifications yesterday morning (Tuesday morning). They'll likely have it Thursday.

If you ordered now you might have it for Friday?

Alternatively you can just buy it in a shop or on the PSN store on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

It's the deal breaker really, the gameplay. Which is a shame as it has almost everything else going for it. But once the game kicks off I just want it to play more like pro evo.

Fifa has fallen behind in the actual place where it matters most imo.

Sadly for a lot of people the gameplay isn't the deal breaker. Granted, I don't care one bit if someone wants to play FIFA instead of Pro Ev, that's their decision and I'm not a child but it's awfully annoying when it comes up that I play Pro Ev and people say something like "Sure they've none of the team names and kits". That's still the hangup for a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Nokotan wrote: »
    Sadly for a lot of people the gameplay isn't the deal breaker. Granted, I don't care one bit if someone wants to play FIFA instead of Pro Ev, that's their decision and I'm not a child but it's awfully annoying when it comes up that I play Pro Ev and people say something like "Sure they've none of the team names and kits". That's still the hangup for a lot of people.

I agree. There's lads I know who only play the online modes so the likes of career mode/master league doesn't matter to them at all. Then there's people who only play offline modes, which FIFA is miles ahead of this year.

The main qualm people have against Pro Evo, as you said, is the licences and the kits. On PC and PS4, they can be fixed with an option file which people are either not aware of or just feel it's too awkward to do.

Personally, it's all about enjoying playing the game so yes gameplay is a stickler for me. In this respect, PES is streets ahead of FIFA. From playing the FIFA demo last night, the presentation is excellent but gameplay feels identical to last year which is very disappointing considering how poorly it's been for the last 2 years.

At the end of the day, you buy these games if there's something that appeals to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Despatched from TheGameCollection.

Hopefully PM will sort me out now :)

+1. I'm expecting a message from PM tomorrow or friday hopefully :D.

And to gamestop, screw you and your crazy prices charged :D

I'm really just interested in the offline. Even though PES seems to play better, the gap is far far less than last year. The AI in FIFA actually seems better based on the demos, and as Colemania says, everything else is heaps better for the offline player. Even more so now that they seemingly mucked up Master League.

The Journey seems pretty cool from the short intro on the demo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nokotan wrote: »

It is a fúcking pain in the hole though. I hate having to wait for option files and then it's not updated so you need version 2. If I was getting a game and was 50 50, that would easily swing it for me to buy fifa. But as for presentation as regards menus stuff like that, I couldn't care less if it was a black background with a line of text for each option with no music. At this stage I've been playing PES for so long that I just can't get use to fifa.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Koolhanger

I bought FIFA last season when it went down to about €24 on PSN Store. Played it for about two hours, that was it. The presentation is good, and kits, commentary etc are great, but player faces are worse than PES in my opinion.

Anyway, none of those factors would come into play for me when deciding on a football game. It has to be the gameplay. Especially since PES Universe will have an option file out tomorrow (they say!) that fixes all kits. PES themselves have a patch out tomorrow that updates all transfers, too. Those small little headaches are easily fixable and you end up with a better game in the long run. The ball physics in FIFA are terrible compared to PES. Like proper football, absolutely anything can happen in PES. FIFA just seems far more restricted in what outcomes it can give you in a situation.

Having said that I haven't played the new FIFA demo, but judging how good PES was in the online BETA I won't be needing FIFA at all this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Colemania wrote: »
    I agree. There's lads I know who only play the online modes so the likes of career mode/master league doesn't matter to them at all. Then there's people who only play offline modes, which FIFA is miles ahead of this year.

Have to somewhat disagree on this as I was mostly an offline player last year. Modes are only as good as the gameplay underneath it and the FIFA offline package was not good enough for me and definitely not miles ahead.

The dazzle of authenticity catches you quickly and you're immersed instantly but after that has worn off and youre skipping the cutscenes, the rinse, dry, repeat nature is obvious and it boils down to gameplay.

I'd take an offline Champions League campaign just as much any day as it's short and snappy. Playing with mates locally was also a joy on PES.

That said, The Journey has the potential to really kick FIFA ahead of PES in the offline department but it still needs fine tuning and as said the underlying gameplay is a detriment to its innovation.

I do hope FIFA gets better as competition creates quality but even as an offline player (up until about two/three months ago), PES still edges it.

Koolhanger wrote: »

Having said that I haven't played the new FIFA demo, but judging how good PES was in the online BETA I won't be needing FIFA at all this year.

FIFA last year was absolute muck. The demo this year is massively improved gameplay wise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

It used always be the case that, while FIFA Career Mode was aesthetically prettier and presented better almost, it still lacked something. I was never able to fully immerse myself in a FIFA Career Mode the same way I could with Master League. The Master League has it's faults, sure, but there's just something about it that always puts it above FIFA Career Mode for me. Thinking about it, I reckon it could be FIFA's persistence to recreate that Sky Sports feel instead of what PES does which just tries to be itself.

That said though, I haven't played a career mode in FIFA since FIFA 15 so I have no idea what the recent ones are like. If they have gone away from that look then it makes the above point a little redundant! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Oh baby it's arrived in the Dublin depot. This might just arrive tonight!

Usually get the text around midnight so I bet you'll be staying up for it :P

FIFA last year was absolute muck. The demo this year is massively improved gameplay wise.

I had to check out the FIFA Demo :)

I agree it's MUCH improved on last year. Very good game, it seems to be.

I still can't put it in the same class as PES for gameplay as the ball just moves weird and it's not as fluid as PES.

The way the pitch cuts up as a game progresses is cool and so is the "Quick Sub" option.

Colemania wrote: »
    Usually get the text around midnight so I bet you'll be staying up for it :P

Pre-ordered mine on PES store. The game has now fully downloaded so just has a countdown now to midnight when it'll allow me to play it!

Might just get a few beers and stay up to put in a couple of hours at it.

Hope PES Universe ain't too slow with the release of their option file!

PES definitely moves so much more smoothly, but overall I don't think the gap is that much this time around. I'm definitely gonna sit it out and see how both develop. The AI seemed better in FIFA for me. Defending also seemed a tad better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Koolhanger wrote: »
    Pre-ordered mine on PES store. The game has now fully downloaded so just has a countdown now to midnight when it'll allow me to play it!
    Fuúuuuuuk! my downloaded yesterday so I assumed it would be available today. Not till tomorrow you say?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Fuúuuuuuk! my downloaded yesterday so I assumed it would be available today. Not till tomorrow you say?

Midnight tonight ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

+1 for me.
    But I'm outside the pale so ill prob have it tomorrow by carrier pigeon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Ordered it on PC this morning. Only 26 Euro on CD Keys for the premium edition. Hoping I can preload load soon because i'm working at 6pm.
    Should have the PC option files up soon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭breeno

Any sign of any shops selling today? Would love to get my hands on it for this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Got to play a few games late last night when I got home. It's enjoyable but I'm not blown away by it. Found the shooting very hit and miss though I was playing in the Copa Libertadores with an average team. Crossing and headers seemed like they were a bit too reliable way to score and the pace of players seems odd. Sometimes you feel like you can outpace the entire defence yet when you get a through ball and running through on goal the defenders catch up a little too easy.

One thing I think it does better than any football game is the sense of panic in defenders when you are running at them at pace on the counter attack. Will get a proper go on it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

No longer have the parcel motel lockers so will be in local shop early tomorrow.

Looking forward to it. Enjoyed the demo.
    Impressed by FIFA to be fair this year.

Mainly there presentation etc but game play still hust feels to like FIFA so won't be getting it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

My copy is currently at home but I'm at work!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

If it was dispatched yesterday morning, I should have it by Friday I'm hoping. Delivered to my own house rather than parcel motel. Couldn't be dealing with all that! :pac: :pac:

Even if it is Monday I'm not too bothered. I've still got plenty of vehicles and cargo to steal and rob and sell on GTAV! :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Mine is in the depot aswell , Hopefully will be there in the morning and get a good whack of it on my day off :)

Mine was sent out for delivery from Game today. Hopefully parcel motel have it tomorrow and I have it Friday. Although I'm starting to think it'll be Saturday now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Pesuniverse are doing a 24 hour live game play stream on Twitch at the moment if anyone wants a look. Current guy is playing on Legend difficulty level.
    Pesuniverse channel.
    * He was playing on Legend level, and it looked savage difficult. Not sure what level he's playing at now, was watching the Liverpool match.

Advertisement