Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike swap.

Options
  • 18-05-2017 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Could anyone tell me is there any site/shop out there that lets you swap a bike? I bought a Cannondale CAADX Tiagra on the cycle to work scheme this time last yr. I've had the bike out on very short spins (5 at the very most) It still looks brand new.

I'd like to swap it for a road bike.

Also, does anyone know how much it would actually be worth if I sold it? It was €1300 new.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tilikum wrote: »
    Hi All,

Could anyone tell me is there any site/shop out there that lets you swap a bike? I bought a Cannondale CAADX Tiagra on the cycle to work scheme this time last yr. I've had the bike out on very short spins (5 at the very most) It still looks brand new.

I'd like to swap it for a road bike.

Also, does anyone know how much it would actually be worth if I sold it? It was ?1300 new.

There are a few shops that take part exchange, and all are worth asking but you might not get anymore than you would get going the second hand route as they will only pay what they can sell it on for minus repairs, servicing and profit.

A good rule of thumb is to expect back half what it's cost is if it is in VGC and relatively new (last year). After that the market is harder to predict as common bikes saturate the floor. The depreciation for B2W priced bikes is quite high.

I know there was a poster on here with a similar bike that had been upgraded and I think they were looking at 450 or 500 but my memory escapes me.

For example, I would love one, but I won't pay anymore than 300 for it, even though it maybe worth more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

CramCycle wrote: »
    The depreciation for B2W priced bikes is quite high.

As compared to the same bikes bought not on B2W?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he said 'b2w priced', not 'b2w bought'; i read that as bikes priced in the €700-€900 price range which would be the sweet spot for someone buying a bike on the scheme trying to get the best value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Put road tires on it! I put 1000's off kilometres on a cx bike with road wheels /tires on it and enjoyed them immensely. Cx bikes are fantastically versatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I was just looking for clarification as I was a bit confused. So bikes that fall within the range that people on the b2w scheme buy? Not too cheap and not too expensive? There's more of them on the market second hand as more people are buying them.

• Advertisement

fat bloke wrote: »
    Put road tires on it! I put 1000's off kilometres on a cx bike with road wheels /tires on it and enjoyed them immensely. Cx bikes are fantastically versatile.

Obviously never read the post properly or thought there maybe racing tried out but if the CAADX feels comfy (and your not going to be racing), definitely follow FatBlokes advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'm inclined to say, although I never road raced myself, that a sub 10kg CX bike could fare very well in a race.

Alek wrote: »
    I'm inclined to say, although I never road raced myself, that a sub 10kg CX bike could fare very well in a race.

One without discs for road racing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Are discs banned still? Even in local / A4 events?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Alek wrote: »
    Are discs banned still? Even in local / A4 events?

They're only not banned (for the purposes of racing) in the pro peloton at the moment, UCI trial is ongoing with round-edged discs, and discs being allowed at lower levels in future is dependent on the outcome of that.

• Advertisement

CI have a statement that they are banned in all competitive events:

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/statement-disc-brakes/1994

So any local event that is competitive and sanctioned (therefore has insurance) should not allow disc brakes.

Advertisement