Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking Sick Leave and Maternity

Options
  • 18-05-2017 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

I am just wondering does anyone know about going on sick leave early I am 29 weeks pregnant and I am finding work hard as I am not sleeping and have back pain, work has begun difficult in the last few weeks and think it will get worse. if I go on sick leave would that affect my maternity leave?

Need Help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Cork2015!

I'm trying to find this out too. Have been diagnosed with SPD and had to take a week off work as couldn't sleep/walk upstairs/get up off toilet by myself... felt awful.
    The week off work did the trick and i felt great, now i am back at work 3 days and completely back to square one.
    I am back with GP on Tuesday and I just know she is going to want to sign me off as she wanted to do this last week but I pushed to wait and see how this week went.
    I will be 29 weeks by then, not sure if I go out sick do I need to start my maternity leave early or what way it goes. Anyone have any recent experience of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

Sick leave does not use up maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Cork2015! wrote: »
    I'm trying to find this out too. Have been diagnosed with SPD and had to take a week off work as couldn't sleep/walk upstairs/get up off toilet by myself... felt awful.
    The week off work did the trick and i felt great, now i am back at work 3 days and completely back to square one.
    I am back with GP on Tuesday and I just know she is going to want to sign me off as she wanted to do this last week but I pushed to wait and see how this week went.
    I will be 29 weeks by then, not sure if I go out sick do I need to start my maternity leave early or what way it goes. Anyone have any recent experience of this?

No you can get illness benefits of probably €188 per week and then go onto maternity benefit at the date you are officially starting maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

It doesn't affect your maternity leave; however if your employer tops up your maternity pay it might affect that. Mine does and it's based on an average of my pay over the 13 weeks prior to my leave starting. Sick leave doesn't count so if I take a week off sick, my maternity top up figure is 12 weeks' wages divided by 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Cork2015!

It doesn't affect your maternity leave; however if your employer tops up your maternity pay it might affect that. Mine does and it's based on an average of my pay over the 13 weeks prior to my leave starting. Sick leave doesn't count so if I take a week off sick, my maternity top up figure is 12 weeks' wages divided by 13.

Do you know if that was mentioned in your company's maternity policy? I can't see anything in mine so hoping it doesn't apply.
    Also were your wages different every week depending on hours etc? mine is a salary the same every month so im hoping they wont calculate it like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Cork2015! wrote: »
    Do you know if that was mentioned in your company's maternity policy? I can't see anything in mine so hoping it doesn't apply.
    Also were your wages different every week depending on hours etc? mine is a salary the same every month so im hoping they wont calculate it like that

Off the top of my head I think it says an average of hours worked. So holidays count but sick leave doesn't. I'm on an hourly wage but my manager, who is salaried, was on leave at the same time as me and hers was calculated the same as mine. She would be fortnightly paid as well though, with extra for working bank hols and so on.

Advertisement