Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mo Bacter, how long for results?

Options
  • 18-05-2017 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi Guys, i have put Mo Bacter down on a lawn that's very mossy. the lawn does get sunlight but i'm not is it that the moss has just gotten in and it's worse than ever. How long will it be until i start to see some results. Put down a good spread of this last week but nothing improved yet. also should i wait to cut for another while? Cut down very low last week. Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Cutting the lawn very low is one of the causes of moss as it weakens the grass allowing moss and weeds to grow.
    Grass like any other plant needs to feed and needs its leaf to do so, cutting it awful short removes near all leaf and so starves the grass stunting its growth.

Also many lawns are never fed, they're mowed once to twice a week over an 8 month period which sucks all nutrients out of the soil, over time the grass weakens as the soil becomes poor again, allowing moss and weeds to thrive.

As for the Mobactor, I've heard varying reports, my neighbor used it last year and it made no difference at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

i don't usually cut it low only cut it tight before i put the mo bacter on it, just saying it has made no difference in a week and am wondering am i just going to have to scariffy the lawn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I was thinking of trying this so will be interesting to hear how it goes OP. I think you will have to wait longer than once week though. it will probably be a month before you notice anything. It is not meant to blacken moss like other products so is less instantaneous i guess.

i looked out this morning and i think i can definitely see a reduce in the moss, so hopefully it stays going. Just wondering will i need to thrown down more topsoil and seed. It's very mossy in parts. Here it is before i put down mo bacter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've a vague memory of being told that it can take a couple of weeks to have an effect.

• Advertisement

no problem, is it best not to cut the grass in this period?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

How is it looking now Brian?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Zoinks

We've used this within the last week on a very nasty moss infection in the back garden. I'm skeptical but at the same time hopeful that it will work. We used weed killer followed later by a rake on our rather small front garden and it was intense work (we should probably get a scarifier)--so this seemed ideal, if too good to be true.

I will update as this progresses. On the one hand it does look a little better already (possibly my imagination). On the other, some of the moss is looking rather greener and lusher than I have seen it in some time.

It's great stuff, haven't put down any since, just regular cutting no raking of moss or scarifier. I'm going to throw some more down next week to keep on top of it. I think you should keep putting it down every few months to keep moss at bay. But i think it made a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭quagmire47

It's great stuff, haven't put down any since, just regular cutting no raking of moss or scarifier. I'm going to throw some more down next week to keep on top of it. I think you should keep putting it down every few months to keep moss at bay. But i think it made a huge difference.

Huge difference indeed. Looks great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Zoinks

My 2 cents on this are that it does indeed work, however results may vary. We had a really nasty moss infestation in our back-garden, and it has not been eradicated 100%--at a guess I would say there was a reduction of about 30%. This will obviously not change the underlying conditions that are causing the moss, and your lawn may require additional treatment with complementary products.

I think I can recommend this for light infestations where the conditions will support lasting results. As for our lawn, I'm going to monitor it but may in the end just scarify it.

Advertisement