Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's inflicting my berry trees

Options
  • 18-05-2017 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

As the title says, we have 2 berry trees (red current & black current) planted almost 3 years now, and the jump in size this year is really big, however the leaves are curling up at the end of each branch on the red current, and it just doesn't look right. meanwhile the black current has dark spots appearing on its leaves.

Redcurrent;
    34602481241_7e03c79781_c.jpg
    33924430033_feaf791354_c.jpg

Blackcurrent;
    33924428563_e25bc0d759_c.jpg

Any ideas how to help them back to good health?? is it blatantly obvious?

I'm a novice's novice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's aphid attack on the leaves. It won't kill the bushes but will reduce fruiting. There are many products widely available to deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It's aphid attack on the leaves. It won't kill the bushes but will reduce fruiting. There are many products widely available to deal with them.

Many thanks for the response.

Aphid's - they're the little f**kers I see on my roses all the time.

Would the products be available in say Woodies? or would I need a more dedicated garden centre?
    Or would the rose stuff I have do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I usually just spray them with a mix of dish soap and water. Do it every couple of days and that usually gets rid of most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Will the affected leaves return to good health or any they done for? And should they be clipped off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Will the affected leaves return to good health or any they done for? And should they be clipped off?

Just leave them be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

miezekatze wrote: »
    I usually just spray them with a mix of dish soap and water. Do it every couple of days and that usually gets rid of most of them.
    Just for anybody who is confused; "Dish Soap" is American for "Washing-up Liquid":)

Advertisement