Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beech Hedging

Options
  • 18-05-2017 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭

Below are two pics of beech from the same row of hedging. Most of the other 200-odd trees have leafed out and are doing well.

The leaves on the first look "week" and seem to be struggling whereas the second is leafing out in much the same way as most of the others did.

Can anybody advise if they're both doing ok or is the first tree in trouble? And if so, is there anything I can do to remedy the situation.

http://imgur.com/WtDocYy

http://imgur.com/eLVrN1l

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Give it another week before deciding anything. My beech hedges green up gradually; not all come to leaf at the same time.

Keep them well watered in this dry spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Thanks...will do...

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Appears to be a lot of grass all around the plants.
    I'd try and remove that and put a mulch or membrane around the base of the hedge so as to prevent grass and weeds competing for the moisture and nutrients in the soil around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Not much change I'm afraid...I'm wondering if it's possibly due to a very late frost which we had here a few weeks ago?

It was suggested to me that it might be due to some kind of infestation or infection of the roots but the plants are well rooted and don't budge if given a light tug...

In the meantime I'm just making sure that they're well watered (although at this stage they should be reasonably well established)

Advertisement