Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False Information from both Mater Private Hospital and Irish Life Health

• 18-05-2017 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Last week I undergone Bilateral Breast Reduction. I was recommended to a Dr by my GP due to health reasons. I'm only 23 y/o and suffer dramatically with back pain and have been on painkillers for them. I was a whopping 34 GG so as I was now over 21 my doctor suggested that this would be my best option. I saw a consultant twice before booking an appointment in the mater private. I only booked with the consultant as we waited to hear from Irish life whether I would be covered under my plan.
    I waited 2 weeks then I received a letter in the post from Irish life. The letter stated my policy number, the procedure which the claim would be under and a procedure code as well as the doctor.
    On the letter it stated the following
    "I have reviewed the information received from your consultant and I am pleased to advise you that based on medical appropriateness, cover for this procedure has been approved. In relation to your hospital treatment, you will have full cover for hospital charges when admitted into a semi private room in a public hospital and you have full cover for hospital charges when admitted into a semi private room in a private hospital SUBJECT to a €125.00 excess. As (the dr) is a fully participating consultant with Irish Life Health, we will pay her directly for her inpatient professional fees in relation to this procedure.
    I am now a week post op and I received a letter in the post from the Mater Private quoting 50% costs for the procedure to say I was appalled was an understatement. I was assured that I was completely covered to that excess. However when I called both the Mater Private finance team and customer care Irish Life Health. I was THEN advised that the Mater Private isn't in fact a Private hospital as it states numerous, countless times on their website that they are a hi tech hospital and I will be held to those costs. I made clear from the beginning that this was a procedure I will only undergo if I was covered which in the letter received told me I was. I was charged the 125 on admissions and was assured that was the charge and that I was covered. I refuse to pay for something that I had been assure by both companies involved that I was covered for. I will be taking legal action towards this just looking for advice on where to go next from here. I have every piece of correspondence received from both companies here (again not a single mention of a hi tech hospital or being subject to any other excess) as well as screen shots of the Mater PRIVATES website stating that it is Ireland's 'leading private hospital'. Completely false advertising.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

We can't provide legal advice to you here. Speak to a competent, qualified professional.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement