Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air International discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,889 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Where can I find a on-time/delay stats for Norwegian flights, over a period of months?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,889 ✭✭✭✭zell12

2BG85xl.jpg?1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

zell12 wrote: »
    2BG85xl.jpg?1
    That seems to take into account the whole 737 operation all over Europe, I wonder more specifically how the Irish transatlantic flights are doing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

To be expected, sadly.
    Norwegian Air will no longer operate transatlantic routes between Ireland and North America, after the airline announced that these routes are not commercially viable.

The low cost airline began operating routes between Dublin, Cork, Shannon and the US, amid much fanfare, in July 2017. It will discontinue these routes from September 15 this year.

Norwegian is among dozens of airlines globally who have been impacted by the grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX fleet, following two fatal crashes involving the aircraft.

Matthew Wood, SVP Long-Haul Commercial at Norwegian said, "Since March, we have tirelessly sought to minimise the impact on our customers by hiring replacement aircraft to operate services between Ireland and North America. However, as the return to service date for the 737 MAX remains uncertain, this solution is unsustainable."

Mr Wood said the airline is assisting customers by ensuring they can still get to their destination by rerouting them onto other Norwegian services after September 15. Customers will also be offered a full refund if they no longer wish to travel. "We will continue to offer scheduled services from Dublin to Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen as normal," he said.

Norwegian Air is engaging with pilots and cabin crew at its Dublin base, including their respective unions, to ensure that redundancies remain a last resort.

The airlines' 80 Dublin-based administrative staff at Norwegian Air International and Norwegian Group's asset company, Arctic Aviation Assets, will not be affected by the route closures.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0813/1068612-norwegian-air-to-discontinue-transatlantic-routes/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not in the slightest bit shocked, flawed business model.

I repeat what I said 2 years ago, (to much abuse), true low cost transatlantic simply doesn't work on a large scale. A hybrid model perhaps, but not the 00's ryanair model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What transatlantic services will cork have after Norwegian pull out ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Idbatterim wrote: »
    None. The seasonal Providence flight was Cork's only transatlantic route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

No surprise, it became obvious within the first few months that Norwegian couldn’t even carve out a niche for themselves let alone challenge Aer Lingus and the US carriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

The article links it to the max issue which I’m sure was a factor but it doesn’t say they will resume when they are air worthy again which I take means they won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

How long before the 787 Transatlantic flights are pulled also?

I'm sure Virgin, BA and others are killing NAI...

• Advertisement

No surprise at all. Previously announced cancellation of most of the routes and the slow cut back across other airports. I suspect they are profitable, just about, but the dream of making a killing hasn’t transpired for many reasons. It’s probably better to kill off the narrow body long haul and get rid of the MAXs and save the European and widebody long haul operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Can hear the champagne bottles popping at Shamrock House... hope all NAI staff come out of this well.

No surprise at all. Previously announced cancellation of most of the routes and the slow cut back across other airports. I suspect they are profitable, just about, but the dream of making a killing hasn’t transpired for many reasons. It’s probably better to kill off the narrow body long haul and get rid of the MAXs and save the European and widebody long haul operation.

I believe the Scandinavian-Europe routes are where Norwegian make all their profits, basically their original home market.

We've seen regress in the operation in Italy, Spain, the UK, and transatlantic services, if routes/bases aren't making a profit they are being cut.
    I really cant see how they would have made any profit on the long haul 737 routes from Ireland. Fares were low, but ancillary opportunities were half what they would have been if the aircraft was deployed on short haul, less than half in fact. They had no cargo capacity and no premium/business class/ corporate contracts. They relied on bargain basement fares and were just about filling flights in the summer, never mind the winter! In the winter they were flying 737s across the Atlantic less than half full! Meanwhile short haul 737 operators would be operating 6 or 8 flights a day with the same aircraft, much more profit opportunity

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Can hear the champagne bottles popping at Shamrock House... hope all NAI staff come out of this well.
    Most staff were aware it was coming, many had been asked to bid for a base transfer already. There was going to be a very small contingent of DUB based crew remaining this winter, now sadly they will probably be let go or transferred elsewhere if there is availability

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Idbatterim wrote: »

Exactly the same number as the UK’s second city, Birmingham, I.e. none.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Saw this coming when you couldn't book any flights after September!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Marcusm wrote: »
    Exactly the same number as the UK’s second city, Birmingham, I.e. none.

Incorrect. Birmingham has a seasonal route to Orlando with TUI.

marno21 wrote: »
    Incorrect. Birmingham has a seasonal route to Orlando with TUI.

Which is charter ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Jack1985 wrote: »

I can’t - dont think Norwegian worried them that much. It was only a matter of time before this announcement- the Max grounding has killed them off. I think it’s very sad tbh and there’s other airlines out there not too far from gone hurtin hard over the max.

duskyjoe wrote: »
    I can’t - dont think Norwegian worried them that much. It was only a matter of time before this announcement- the Max grounding has killed them off. I think it’s very sad tbh and there’s other airlines out there not too far from gone hurtin hard over the max.
    The MAX surely didn't help but don't forget they started the routes with regular 737 and indeed continued some routes from Dublin this summer on a regular 737. Whats to stop them continuing that? Other than the routes not being commercially viable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

I just think it’s sad no matter what the reason to see Norwegians retreat..... I somewhat think the beginning of the end for them has been happening for some time and it’s dreadful to see. I know folk that moved to them to expand their careers and I’m sure they are getting nervous now.

duskyjoe wrote: »

Oh I definitely can, as competition reduces (in terms of airline choice from IRL to US), fares....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

Worth bearing in mind they've two 787 AOG from incidents in LGW and FCO recently. They don't exactly have the slack in the fleet right now to cover 20 AOGs (those 2 plus the 18 MAX). Probably did the math and it was cheaper to cull the routes early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭roadmaster

That’s very sad to hear I used them a lot for work and found them very good with the crew always being friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

The fact that they are pulling the plug before the end of the season really speaks volumes as to how much of this is MAX related. Booked loads must not have been good at all.

I would have imagined the cost of the A330 in DUB would have been covered to a great extent through an arrangement with Boeing, perhaps not, I'm not sure.

The competition on transatlantic is fierce (including Canada), every other operator had deep pockets to absorb a bit of pain from Norwegian. Given that Norwegian couldn't chase connecting traffic on either end of the routes was always going to make a tough situation harder.

The overall model they seek to develop on the transatlantic I really do not see working. This is before you get into the overall NAS cash/debt/revenue situation!

What use is that Irish AOC now????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Shn99 wrote: »

Aer Lingus is expert level at social media, while some might say that degree of “shade” is uncalled for, others lap it up and either way the airline gets plenty attention at the expense of Norwegian’s woes, particularly with the so called millennial market.

Well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

That really is awful from EI making light of this. Not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Wasn't the whole Irish experiment only about gaining an AOC and access to certain markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

Aer Lingus is expert level at social media, while some might say that degree of “shade” is uncalled for, others lap it up and either way the airline gets plenty attention at the expense of Norwegian’s woes, particularly with the so called millennial market.

Well played.

Disagree, that's extremely crass from EI.

Worth bearing in mind that it was Norwegian and WOW pressure that led EI to shaking up their fare structure. Less competition for the consumer is almost always bad news.

I would say, ironically, that Aer Lingus are probably the most successful exponent of transatlantic LCC in the game.

Advertisement