Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing nymph casting

Options
  • 18-05-2017 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Tried some upstream nymphing last night and have a question regarding casting arising from it. Was using a 10m tapered nymphing leader with a 75-90cm section of 1Kg line on the end going to the fly. When using heavy nymphs (2.5mm - 3.5mm) I was able to 'fling' the fly upstream 5-6m to begin a drift in fast/heavy waters however on slower water, using lighter beaded flies, I found myself really struggling to push the fly upstream. Is there a 'trick' or method I haven't grasped to doing this or should I 'just' focus on fishing the faster waters?

Did get two by the way - suspect more luck than skill on those though.

*Kit: 10' #3 rod, matching reel with a #3 weight line (which wasn't actually used at any point), 10m tapered nymphing leader (0.32-0.20), 1Kg tippet

Advertisement