Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonkeen College - Land sell off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

More news on this here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Selling of land for residential purposes is a consequence of the upturn in property prices. Only recently RTE put a portion of it's Montrose site up for sale. Looking likely that flats will be built in an effort to maximise return. Similar scenario here I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

My old Alma Mater..............

I think with the chronic shortage of housing it is a little bit of a luxury to hold on to land that effectively is under utilised. I could understand the anger and opposition if it was a public park or public green space but these pitches are only used for small periods of time and only by pupils in the school.

There are council owned Gaelic and soccer pitches within a few hundred metres which could be used for training/matches.

On a slightly different point there are a huge amount of 4 bedroom homes in the immediate area with one or 2 elderly people in them. An imaginative scheme in Clonkeen College which provides a number of high quality 2/3 bedroom apartments/bungalows/townhouses marketed locally to this demographic may yield up some of these homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Seaswimmer wrote: »

Mine too

I might buy one ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I think with the chronic shortage of housing it is a little bit of a luxury to hold on to land that effectively is under utilised. I could understand the anger and opposition if it was a public park or public green space but these pitches are only used for small periods of time and only by pupils in the school.

There are council owned Gaelic and soccer pitches within a few hundred metres which could be used for training/matches.

On a slightly different point there are a huge amount of 4 bedroom homes in the immediate area with one or 2 elderly people in them. An imaginative scheme in Clonkeen College which provides a number of high quality 2/3 bedroom apartments/bungalows/townhouses marketed locally to this demographic may yield up some of these homes.

Im split on it tbh, I live on clonkeen road, if i ever have a boy he'd likely go there, so i would prefer it stay as is, but they will still retain a lot of land, though it will be overlooked by blocks of apartments, assume these would be 3/4 stories high based on the school height.

Not sure how many apartments will go up, but no doubt it will bring increased traffic to the area around rush hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Im split on it tbh, I live on clonkeen road, if i ever have a boy he'd likely go there, so i would prefer it stay as is, but they will still retain a lot of land, though it will be overlooked by blocks of apartments, assume these would be 3/4 stories high based on the school height.

Not sure how many apartments will go up, but no doubt it will bring increased traffic to the area around rush hour.

Yes. Will be interesting to see where the access will be.

I think Dun Laoghaire Golf Club is a good example of what can be achieved in modern developments although I accept that it is a much larger area than Clonkeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Well if the CBs had actually stumped up the money they owed for facilitating kiddy fiddlers move around the country a few years ago this wouldn't have to happen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Well if the CBs had actually stumped up the money they owed for facilitating kiddy fiddlers move around the country a few years ago this wouldn't have to happen.

This is what it comes down to, they owe money for what happened, Oatlands college looks like it has a lot of space, however the rest of their schools after looking through the ones in Dublin on google dont have a lot unless you want to remove any green areas.

With their 3.5 acres CC probably still have more than a lot of the other dublin schools on the Rice list, and with the council pitches across the road i'd say it was an easy choice

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Public insist the CBs sell land to settle their liability to the state. CBs decide to sell land they have that is valuable and developable (this land has residential zoning and importantly development access which a lot of their other lands adjacent to schools won't) and people give out. The CBs are damned if they do, damned if they don't....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I went there too and am still in the area. I think half the local anger is the underhand way that the CBs did the deal with Durkan without even the school themselves knowing anything about it.

I hear the meeting the other night was one step away from pitchforks and flames.

I reckon whoever owns Texaco is hoping they get PP anyway, nice payday on the cards if they want to knock it for access. Is probably the best spot for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

mailforkev wrote: »

I reckon whoever owns Texaco is hoping they get PP anyway, nice payday on the cards if they want to knock it for access. Is probably the best spot for it.

I dont agree. Half way down Monaloe Park Road there is a currently pointless cul-de-sac which only needs a wall knocking down to get into the playing pitches. Someone was thinking ahead many years ago! Was it once a back gate into the school or something?

Im sure the people of Monaloe Park Road mightnt like that, but theres plenty of precedent, for instance the recent row over rear access to the Oatlands College plot from Cherrygarth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I dont agree. Half way down Monaloe Park Road there is a currently pointless cul-de-sac which only needs a wall knocking down to get into the playing pitches. Someone was thinking ahead many years ago! Was it once a back gate into the school or something?

Im sure the people of Monaloe Park Road mightnt like that, but theres plenty of precedent, for instance the recent row over rear access to the Oatlands College plot from Cherrygarth

I used to hop over that wall to school occasionally. It was never anything but a wall. There's a little stream behind it.

Monaloe couldn't take the increased volume of traffic in my opinion, it's narrow and already overcrowded with cars parked on the road. Also, it's a bit of an awkward route to access the site.

Is the brother's house still beside the school? If so perhaps that could be knocked.

I think main access directly from Clonkeen Road would be much preferable to the developers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Boca

I believe the CBs are expecting €18m for the land - €10m to the redress board, €1m to the school, leaving them €7m to add to their cash reserves
    They don't need to sell this land, 

Not true, a substantial amount of money (some public, some raised by parents) has been invested in leveling and draining the playing fields.  Plenty of local clubs actively use them

Boca wrote: »
    Not true, a substantial amount of money (some public, some raised by parents) has been invested in leveling and draining the playing fields. ?Plenty of local clubs actively use them

500k+ I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭spillit67

This is what it comes down to, they owe money for what happened, Oatlands college looks like it has a lot of space, however the rest of their schools after looking through the ones in Dublin on google dont have a lot unless you want to remove any green areas.

With their 3.5 acres CC probably still have more than a lot of the other dublin schools on the Rice list, and with the council pitches across the road i'd say it was an easy choice

In 2010 the Edmund Rice Schools Trust did an evaluation of their lands.

CBC Monkstown and St Fintans Sutton were found to have the most valuable lands. Given that the Brothers are trying to get €18m now for Clonkeen I suspect they would be worth an awful lot more than that now, particularly Monkstown, but they're not able to sell Monkstown.

... they're not able to sell Monkstown.

Out of interest, why?

Out of interest, why?

They need to change the use of the lands and that requires Council approval.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/brothers-seek-land-sale-to-fund-redress-1.1134795

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

mailforkev wrote: »
    I used to hop over that wall to school occasionally. It was never anything but a wall. There's a little stream behind it.

Monaloe couldn't take the increased volume of traffic in my opinion, it's narrow and already overcrowded with cars parked on the road. Also, it's a bit of an awkward route to access the site.

Is the brother's house still beside the school? If so perhaps that could be knocked.

I think main access directly from Clonkeen Road would be much preferable to the developers though.

Its now the ERST HQ which has also been bought by the developer afaik so that will most likely be used for access.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Out of interest, why?
    spillit67 wrote: »
    They need to change the use of the lands and that requires Council approval.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/brothers-seek-land-sale-to-fund-redress-1.1134795

a parent there told me that they did try to sell off the back pitch (1 of 3 there) a few years back. But as you say, it would need a change of use which does seem pretty unlikely to be granted.

• Advertisement

a parent there told me that they did try to sell off the back pitch (1 of 3 there) a few years back. But as you say, it would need a change of use which does seem pretty unlikely to be granted.

Yes that's what the article states.

It will be granted when the school wants it....wait a few years when the Brothers are out of the picture completely and I can see it happening. It's a long strip of land that used to be a second entrance to the school. It's too narrow to be a proper functioning rugby pitch.

The Council looked to have failed in their bid to block the sale.
    Mr Devlin said that should the councillors succeed in their bid to create a mid-term variation of the development plan, it could halt development on some 95 of the 103 schools in the council area which are on, or surrounded, by residentially zoned land.

How many have highly restricted zoning like CBC do is up in the air, I'd expect if any Orders are going to sell they will try and squeeze it through in the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

it makes sense to me for them to just hand over the schools to the state and the state lets them off any additional monies they owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

How these lands got zoned residential in the first place is the issue, they'd not have been worth selling otherwise.

Also, why they would spend so much on levelling/draining the fields without legally having ownership in place is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

It is a scandal that school land in Clonkeen College and st. paul's, raheny were sold off by their owners - i can guarantee it wont be used for social housing - but developed for a large profit.
    School land should be just that school land, or sporting and educational use - not a cash bank - any land transfer should be only allowed by dept. approval with community consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

petronius wrote: »
    It is a scandal that school land in Clonkeen College and st. paul's, raheny were sold off by their owners - i can guarantee it wont be used for social housing - but developed for a large profit.
    School land should be just that school land, or sporting and educational use - not a cash bank - any land transfer should be only allowed by dept. approval with community consultation.
    Was it not should of off to pay for redress? Plenty saying that it’s a scandal it all hadn’t being paid. Damned if they dammed if they don’t

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ted1 wrote: »
    Was it not should of off to pay for redress?

schools shouldn't have to pay the price for that. sell off churches / church lands to pay for their crimes.

Was it not should of off to pay for redress?

schools shouldn't have to pay the price for that. sell off churches / church lands to pay for their crimes.
    Isn’t the land in question church land.
    In my opinion It shouldn’t have been rezoned.

The land in question was promised to the school, the school invested in draining /levelling the land and expanding the school on that basis

• Advertisement

The land in question was promised to the school, the school invested in draining /levelling the land and expanding the school on that basis
    That’s really is irrelevant and actually reflects badly on the people who signed off the spend.

Look it I don’t agree with it. I have no connection what so ever. Merely highlighting why it was sold.

Advertisement