Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadwood

• 18-05-2017 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just starting season 2, my question is, did anyone else find Timothy Olyphant's acting as Seth Bullock to be terrible? It's gotten to the point I find it hard to watch and want to stop.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Absolutely loved this TV show,

Would agree about Timothy, in season 1 he was very good, bit more meh in season 2, but I guess thats down to the many superior characters in the series.

I thought Timothy was good as Bullock and had such a presence in the role, but can totally see what OP means and how it could be off-putting at times.

Bullock could have done with more hugs at some point in his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

He is outrageously over acting in the scenes where he's mad and trying to stifle it. I would agree that he is a weak point, but not at all to the point where I'd turn off the show. Actually I think he gets much better towards the end of season three. Meanwhile cy tolliver gets more and more ludicrously hammy (and the motivations for his weirdness become less and less clear) as it goes on. I love this show, it's badly underrated, I even put it on a for a class I taught once, but there's a few characters I never quite understood the point of.

Still the important point: are they making the movie to finish it off or what's the craic? Milch and mcshane both keep hinting that it's just around the corner, but the series is dead ten years at this stage.

He is outrageously over acting in the scenes where he's mad and trying to stifle it. I would agree that he is a weak point, but not at all to the point where I'd turn off the show. Actually I think he gets much better towards the end of season three. Meanwhile cy tolliver gets more and more ludicrously hammy (and the motivations for his weirdness become less and less clear) as it goes on. I love this show, it's badly underrated, I even put it on a for a class I taught once, but there's a few characters I never quite understood the point of.

Still the important point: are they making the movie to finish it off or what's the craic? Milch and mcshane both keep hinting that it's just around the corner, but the series is dead ten years at this stage.

Agree on Tolliver, even though I loved watching Powers Boothe play the role. He will be missed from any future movie following the actor's death earlier this week.

I think Cy just wanted to be one of the main players at the table, he wanted to be a George Hearst. The more he realised that he was just a brothel owner and would always be a lacky for the likes of Hearst rather than one of his peers, the further into bitter madness he descended.

As for a future movie, apparently the script is done and handed in. W. Earl Brown (Dan Dority) got to read it a couple of week ago...

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/02/deadwood-movie-stunning/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Although I appreciated that it was obviously a good show and very well made I found it a pain to watch.It was just so bloody miserable that I couldn't get any enjoyment out of it at all.Don't think I'll bother to try watching again as I found it a real chore to get through the first season and I never bothered watching the rest of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Although I appreciated that it was obviously a good show and very well made I found it a pain to watch.It was just so bloody miserable that I couldn't get any enjoyment out of it at all.Don't think I'll bother to try watching again as I found it a real chore to get through the first season and I never bothered watching the rest of it.

No joy from the Richardson and EB interactions??!?!

No joy from the Richardson and EB interactions??!?!

They came later in s2 and s3 didn't they? Loved them myself.

Deadwood was such an amazing show. It made swearing seem like Shakespeare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

He wasn't great in it

The show was good ,faded at the finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Well, it's one step closer apparently. Maybe.
    Every TCA press tour, someone asks HBO about a Deadwood wrap-up movie. This time, Bloys actually has an answer.

“This is your lucky year because I have an update,” he said. “I read the script and the one thing that I was concerned about is I wanted the script that would stand on its own. If you were a Deadwood fan it would make you happy and if you never watched Deadwood you could still enjoy it. David [Milch] delivered on that. If we can do it for a budget that makes sense for us and find a director, we’re talking to a few folks, and we can get the cast together which is no easy task, we’re inclined to do it. We have to get over those hurdles. The good news is,the script was terrific.”

• Advertisement
Advertisement