Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dryer in a rented property

Options
  • 18-05-2017 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭

Hey guys bit of a pickle here.

Moving house in a week and just emailed the landlord about her opinion of a dryer in the apartment.

"I am not prepared to put in a dryer I'm afraid. With the current kitchen layout there isn't really anywhere to put a dryer."

The apartment is lovely however there is no garden space and no way to dry cloths.

http://www.irishlandlord.com/download/minimum-standards-for-rental-properties/

This says its required but obviously i don't want to go shoving that in their face before I have even moved in?

I am actually so vexed with my interaction with them that i considered finding another place - like if shes battling over a dryer, and knows id have nowhere to dry cloths what kind of person is she??

If I was to do this am i entitled to get my deposit back from this place?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Hand her the bill when the damp sets in from drying the clothes inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I could be wrong here, but I don't think there is a requirement to provide an electric dryer. They could provide a "clothes horse".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I don't intend on being there long, and i havnt moved in yet...

This is-int some run of the mill standard apartment, I am actually paying through the nose for it. I would happily buy the appliance myself and put it in a spare room? But she is not even entertaining the idea of a dryer?! Like really...

"I am not asking her to put one in, I will foot the cost and arrange it myself and put it in one of the rooms.
    Just to make her aware a condenser dryer does not require any outlet/vent.

How else would one dry cloths in an apartment of that size?"

I emailed her this, kind of looking forward to her response...

Anyone have any idea about the deposit if i was to pull the plug?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

In cases where the accommodation does not
    contain a garden or yard for the exclusive use of this accommodation, a dryer must be provided.

http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad%2C33422%2Cen.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

davo10 wrote: »
    I could be wrong here, but I don't think there is a requirement to provide an electric dryer. They could provide a "clothes horse".

Ya of course.

" In cases where the accommodation does not
    contain a garden or yard for the exclusive use of
    this accommodation, a dryer must be provided."

Leave it to Irish legislation to leave things so open interpenetration.

I'd point out the legal requirements for private rented accommodation and say you are willing to find alternative accommodation on the return of your deposit or take a case to the RTB once you move in.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    I don't intend on being there long, and i havnt moved in yet...

This is-int some run of the mill standard apartment, I am actually paying through the nose for it. I would happily buy the appliance myself and put it in a spare room? But she is not even entertaining the idea of a dryer?! Like really...

"I am not asking her to put one in, I will foot the cost and arrange it myself and put it in one of the rooms.
    Just to make her aware a condenser dryer does not require any outlet/vent.

How else would one dry cloths in an apartment of that size?"

I emailed her this, kind of looking forward to her response...

Anyone have any idea about the deposit if i was to pull the plug?

The problem being there is no alternate accommodation, I wont say the location for fear of being identified but it is a fairly popular expensive area at the moment there is only one house available on daft.

Any idea if i would be entitled to my deposit back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Why didn't you ask this question before you paid a deposit?

pilly wrote: »
    Why didn't you ask this question before you paid a deposit?

Ah the devils advocate :)

I did, it was through an agency though who said there was only a washing machine in the place, to which said thats fine i will bring my own.

No mention of not being allowed from the agency person.

• Advertisement

What if I pay a deposit and don't move in?

If you pay a booking deposit to secure a property and then decide not to move in, you risk losing all or part of the deposit which a landlord may seek to retain to cover any costs incurred such as re-letting fees, lost rent. You should seek evidence of any alleged costs incurred.

As a tenancy has not been created in this scenario, you cannot avail of the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) dispute resolution service to try to get back the money you paid. You may be able to pursue it through the small claims court see www.courts.ie

http://www.threshold.ie/advice/seeking-private-rented-accommodation/paying-a-deposit/

gizmo81 wrote: »
    What if I pay a deposit and don't move in?

If you pay a booking deposit to secure a property and then decide not to move in, you risk losing all or part of the deposit which a landlord may seek to retain to cover any costs incurred such as re-letting fees, lost rent. You should seek evidence of any alleged costs incurred.

As a tenancy has not been created in this scenario, you cannot avail of the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) dispute resolution service to try to get back the money you paid. You may be able to pursue it through the small claims court see www.courts.ie

http://www.threshold.ie/advice/seeking-private-rented-accommodation/paying-a-deposit/

Ya thought so. They will of course make it as hard as possible.
    Cheers Gizmo.

thomas 123 wrote:
    Ah the devils advocate

Not trying to play the devil's advocate at all, just never understand why people pay over money for a place they've viewed and then decide they're not happy.

It's a complete waste of everyone's time.

Sorry I was confused by your post. You took the property knowing that there was no dryer and you advised the letting agent you'd bring your own.

You sent an email to the landlady asking her opinion of a dryer? (This is not clear to me and obviously not to the landlady either)

She responds she's not in a position to put in a dryer or she doesn't want you to put in your own?

Not trying to play the devil's advocate at all, just never understand why people pay over money for a place they've viewed and then decide they're not happy.

It's a complete waste of everyone's time.

Unfortunately you dont get time to decide in today's market at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Sorry to Thread-Crash, am just wondering has there ever been any confirmation on like size/measurements of Yard for the purpose of Drying Clothes.... Have what I would guess is constituted as a Yard at the back of me. It's more like a literal Strip that ya can barely stand up in.

thomas 123 wrote:
    Unfortunately you dont get time to decide in today's market at all.

Yes I understand that but you've already stated you knew there wasn't a dryer there.

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Sorry I was confused by your post. You took the property knowing that there was no dryer and you advised the letting agent you'd bring your own.

You sent an email to the landlady asking her opinion of a dryer? (This is not clear to me and obviously not to the landlady either)

She responds she's not in a position to put in a dryer or she doesn't want you to put in your own?

This is the unknown at the moment, I am assuming she will reply tomorrow. So i would like to be prepared/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

OP buy a heat pump condenser. They are a beast of a machine. Instead of dumping the hot air, it recycles it and therefore uses half of the electricity. They are more expensive. But after 2/3 years, they break even versus a cheaper condenser. The major bonus is that they condense the water using air rather than water as on a washer/dryer. So if you use it, you don't have to sleep through 3 hours of the condenser on the dryer drawing water using the pump hitting in and out

I have this one and it is amazing

https://powercity.ie/?par=40-10-WTH830

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Yes I understand that but you've already stated you knew there wasn't a dryer there.

It's not unreasonable to assume either; the landlady would provide, or allow the tenant to provide, items required under the minimum standards for rented accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wordofwarning, I got one for my daughter. Mine was a little dearer from Euronics.
    It's mighty. Dries clothes at a lower temp and they are much softer.
    OP should do as you say, buy it and say nothing. Take it with him.

Sometimes, things should be, on a need to know basis.

Water John wrote: »
    Wordofwarning, I got one for my daughter. Mine was a little dearer from Euronics.
    It's mighty. Dries clothes at a lower temp and they are much softer.
    OP should do as you say, buy it and say nothing. Take it with him.

Sometimes, things should be, on a need to know basis.

Ya 100% , to be honest like its just a nightmare start to the renter/landlord relationship. Like if shes a sting over a dryer then whats down the line for me :/

@Graham ya i assumed she would have no problem with me bringing my own, which is a condenser , not the heat pump that @wordofwarning has mentioned(Btw from your description it seems that would be the best investment)

I just want to take a second to thank everyone for their replies, nice to get the info & suggestions so fast :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

davo10 wrote: »

That is not correct. It is a dryer or clothes horse. If there is a washing machine, a washer dryer will fit in the same place. After moving in the o/p can insist on a dryer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

You could buy the JML dri - buddi, We used one in an apartment before due to no space for a tumble dryer. Great little unit & folds away when not in use. But remember to use plastic hangers or else you will burn your fingers. Check out the link below. Littlewoods ireland / argos have them at under €70!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4f8fiV_tjA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Have you considered a dehumidifier and a clothes horse? I used to place one in the middle of the clothes horse and set it on a timer during the cheap electricity hours overnight. It was about 200 watt and much cheaper than a 3kw dryer especially when I'd need to run it for a few hours overnight.

Clothes would be mostly dry in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The actual requirement is in Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2008/si/534/made/en/print

"Where the house does not contain a garden or yard for the exclusive use of that house, a dryer (vented or recirculation type)."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

And it was excellent at keeping the apartment drier. It felt warmer and was easier and quicker to heat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I don't see why you need permission to bring in a dryer, do you need permission to bring in a tv, computer, dehumidifier, etc.. so long as you are not modifying the apartment in any way i.e. cutting out a bit of counter or knocking holes in walls you should be able to bring in what you want.

Right so, Landlord has stepped back on the issue, I shall be providing my own(Yay), She was very sure to say "At my own expense". 

I bit my tongue on the legislation above as I didn't want to get off to a terrible start in our relationship.

I guess a lot of landlords really don't give a damn, and expect money for essentially nothing but their own financial mistakes in many cases. (Definitely not tarring all with the same brush, my current landlord was so good to me)

Thanks again everyone!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement