Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord & Tenancy disputing

Options
  • 18-05-2017 7:26pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Strange scenario after developing in the house my partner has recently moved into, would be interested peoples thoughts:

House was advertised with various rooms to rent, managed by agent. Four people living in the house, four moving out -- all agreed and confirmed with agent that it's not an issue. Existing lease until September with likely extension per the advert. Three new people came in and "took over the lease". Swapped deposits effectively with tenants leaving. New tenants contacted agency to inform of various items of damage. Not a problem per agency, all documented and one issue with a backdoor would be repaired ASAP. Other items not that significant.

Handyman arrives and discovers a security issue with the front door after fixing back door. Reports to landlord with costing and landlord contacts agency to say he is very unhappy, blaming tenants. It appears previous tenants may have been an issue and were warned before, that part isn't very clear but the landlord and agency are not getting on.

Landlord completely unaware that there are actually four different people in the house and they didn't cause any of the damage and they documented the damage to the agency when they moved in. Agency notifies tenants that they are departing from the landlord in September and they would need to move out in September and find somewhere else. Landlord not renewing the girls in the house lease (thinking it's the original tenants). Agency won't be telling the landlord about the new tenants, just said to move on and let a fresh group move in.

Me personally? I'd contact the landlord directly. The tenants just want to move on as they don't want the hassle. But surely the landlord would be delighted to have four decent tenants and once all the documentation about damage is brought to his attention, he could understand the issues and agree to extend a new lease.

Thoughts? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Sarn

If they've been there longer than 6 months then they have a Part IV tenancy and can't be just told to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Do all Tenants have a separate lease?
    generally, if your point of contact is the agency, it's not your problem if the agency and LL don't get along.If you would open a dispute, you'd be dealing with the agency, not the Landlord ( as far as I know but stand to be corrected)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If you would open a dispute, you'd be dealing with the agency, not the Landlord ( as far as I know but stand to be corrected)

If you open a dispute with the RTB, then it is the landlord (unit owner) who you will be dealing with. The agent is a middleman with almost no power. Ultimately, every decision rests with the landlord.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There is no lease for the existing tenants. There was a lease for the original tenants that applies until September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I would be concerned that they handed over deposits to tenants leaving and then sent the agent a list of damage. Surely damages will be taken from the deposit now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Sully wrote: »
    There is no lease for the existing tenants. There was a lease for the original tenants that applies until September.

I would think that makes them licencees with near to 0 rights

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

So let me get this straight- the agent has setup 4 new people in the house, that the landlord has no idea about- and the landlord imagines the original tenants are still present?

At very minimum- the landlord will deduct all damage from the deposits.
    The agent seems to be running some sort of a scam on both the landlord and the licensees.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Strange scenario after developing in the house my partner has recently moved into, would be interested peoples thoughts:

House was advertised with various rooms to rent, managed by agent. Four people living in the house, four moving out -- all agreed and confirmed with agent that it's not an issue. Existing lease until September with likely extension per the advert. Three new people came in and "took over the lease". Swapped deposits effectively with tenants leaving. New tenants contacted agency to inform of various items of damage. Not a problem per agency, all documented and one issue with a backdoor would be repaired ASAP. Other items not that significant.

Handyman arrives and discovers a security issue with the front door after fixing back door. Reports to landlord with costing and landlord contacts agency to say he is very unhappy, blaming tenants. It appears previous tenants may have been an issue and were warned before, that part isn't very clear but the landlord and agency are not getting on.

Landlord completely unaware that there are actually four different people in the house and they didn't cause any of the damage and they documented the damage to the agency when they moved in. Agency notifies tenants that they are departing from the landlord in September and they would need to move out in September and find somewhere else. Landlord not renewing the girls in the house lease (thinking it's the original tenants). Agency won't be telling the landlord about the new tenants, just said to move on and let a fresh group move in.

Me personally? I'd contact the landlord directly. The tenants just want to move on as they don't want the hassle. But surely the landlord would be delighted to have four decent tenants and once all the documentation about damage is brought to his attention, he could understand the issues and agree to extend a new lease.

Thoughts? :)

I would contact the LL, some agents tend to charge a finders fee for the tenants in the property if the LL pulls out, this may be in the LL's contract but neither the LL or agent can uphold a term that states the tenants must move out if the finders fee is not paid. But more than likely just the agent trying to get money from the LL.

You should try and establish what the current situation for the tenants is. The lease term is not important, but the date the tenancy started and ends (4 years for any that started before December 16.

If the original tenants all left together or practically so and were replaced by new tenants, the original tenancy can be deemed as been broken and a new tenancy started with the new tenants. A new part 4 will commence after 6 months offering security of tenure, for a further 5 1/2 years.

If the replacement of tenants was gradually one by one, the tenancy has been preserved and if a part 4 tenancy was in place, it will continue until 4 years past the date of moving in assuming the tenancy started before December.

Unfortunately in either scenario, the new tenants (if they don't move themselves) will be responsible to the LL for the handback of the property eventually, and any damages occurred at least to the value of the deposit paid, maybe more. Better to get the LL to inspect now if that is the case. If the previous tenants are known or contactable, the current tenants may be able to recover any damages from the previous tenants without courts, but if legal action is required, the district court will have to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

First off; did they take over existing leases of the various rooms, or did they take over the lease of the house?
    The tenants just want to move on as they don't want the hassle.
    Let them know that they will probably not get their deposits back, because as far as the landlord is concerned, the tenants in the house caused the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If i was one if the new tenants i would jusy move on. Life's too short for sorting out shyte like this s d the chances of an amicable arrangement are slim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Sounds a bit like I had years ago
    Rented a room at a house for 70 euros a week
    There were three others also renting a room between the 70 and 150 euros a week
    By accident I did meeting the owner/landlord who lived abroad and didn't know anything about it and taught house was rented to a couple for 450 euros a month
    So one person paid the rent for the landlord and the agent cashes the rest of it for himself
    The guy did it for almost 4 years that way and did the same at other properties also

Advertisement