Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lone wolfing it in Dublin

Options
  • 18-05-2017 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

I'm a young lad in his early twenties and live in a rural town which has nothing going on in it or in the nearby towns.
    I'm thinking of heading to Dublin on my own for a mini adventure.
    Any suggestions on things to do while there? I always wanted to try salsa dancing for example.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

My suggestion would be to backpack in your own capital and maybe further afield. Book a hostel popular with young backpackers and do a few of the tours. Google for dancing. Can't help you there I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DefinitelyMarc

SGSM wrote: »
    I'm a young lad in his early twenties and live in a rural town which has nothing going on in it or in the nearby towns.
    Any suggestions on things to do while there? I always wanted to try salsa dancing for example.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks

There are loads of art museums about the place for free, and if you aren't in college but planning to attend, you can check out some of the colleges/universities.

Also go shopping! There's loads of stuff you can buy in Dublin that you can't get anywhere else in the country unless you buy online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Go Ceili Dancing in The Grand Social. It's a lot of fun and you meet lots of tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Keep in touch with home. Don't go anywhere with strangers. The city is an exciting place if you are not used to it but there are always dangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,179 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The dublin literary pub crawl would still be good craic on you own

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

The Dublin literary pub crawl is *anything* but good craic. The "actors" involved with it were an absolute pair of jumped-up nobheads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

St. Michan's Crypt. Such an amazing place to check out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Some good pubs in Dublin too...depending on your musical tastes there's lots of choice.

If you want to experience Temple Bar than do it as a tourist but never return unless you like being ripped off and having tourists spill drink down you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

SGSM wrote: »
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks

I think you will get more suggestions if you state what you are interested in. Regarding salsa dancing, you may need to sign up for a whole course rather than just two a one-off. But you might be lucky. You need to do a lot of research before you come to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,179 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

MysticMonk wrote: »
    The Dublin literary pub crawl is *anything* but good craic. The "actors" involved with it were an absolute pair of jumped-up nobheads

Ouch... things must have gone downhill, it's been a fair few years since I went... but hey, come to Dublin, see an absolute pair of jumped-up nobheads in full flight could work too :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 The_Commander

^^^ A bit harsh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

OP, male sure you know exactly what streets you are going to and plan your route to avoid certain areas. A lot of rough dub scumbags who hang around on certain streets and would spot a cultchie a mile off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's Dublin city not Caracas. Ignore that ^

"plan your route" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

OP, male sure you know exactly what streets you are going to and plan your route to avoid certain areas. A lot of rough dub scumbags who hang around on certain streets and would spot a cultchie a mile off.

Fcuking joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

If local scumbags see a confused looking country lad walking around Dublin, they'll just assume he's a guard and leave well enough alone anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Buy one of the guides to Dublin that the tourist use they are a mine of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 philderbeast

Downstairs in the River bar at the quays does salsa classes pretty much every night of the week. Never done it just saw them at it while I was there. Seem to have a good turnout.

Advertisement