Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F.G. Leadershio

• 18-05-2017 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭

I think Simon Harris has backed the wrong man. In the long run it good be a good thing as I don't think he will get a soft Ministry.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

I agree. Varadkar seems unstoppable at the moment. I can see a general election coming down the tracks and some interesting developments as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Harris has backed the wrong horse and is likely to get demoted as a result - Leo will want to reward his supporters (unless none of them fancy the health job).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

loyatemu wrote: »
    Harris has backed the wrong horse and is likely to get demoted as a result - Leo will want to reward his supporters (unless none of them fancy the health job).

I reckon he will either be left in health or possibly not even get a cabinet seat.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Harris has turned into a cretin! When he was originally looking for is first seat he was great and full of enthusiasm but now he just feels like he's a 60 year old settled politician who's looking for his pension!

Maybe it's just the healthcare sector has done it to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I reckon he will either be left in health or possibly not even get a cabinet seat.

If varadkar wins he'll get nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Leo will probably put Coveney in health - there you go Simon, sort that out :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Cerco

If varadkar wins he'll get nothing

I doubt that. Varadkar is no fool and no matter what we think of Harris he is an asset to FG. He is a very articulate waffler and good debater. A quick thinker and well informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Leo might be mr. popular in the FG party, but I don't think the general public would vote for him.
    Kills me to say this but he's too young.

Maybe FG want out of government for a few years and that's why leo is being nominated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

ellejay wrote: »
    Leo might be mr. popular in the FG party, but I don't think the general public would vote for him.
    Kills me to say this but he's too young.

Maybe FG want out of government for a few years and that's why leo is being nominated.

It isn't Leo being too young that makes Leo less popular. It is being too right wing and too Thatcherite. Banning the right to strike. Demonising people on social welfare.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Cerco

I would not be surprised if Leo is knocked off his perch.
    Think about the electorate and the anonymity of the secret ballot.
    Politicians, in the main, will waiver like feathers in wind.
    Their only focus is their own career and promotion prospects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

It isn't Leo being too young that makes Leo less popular. It is being too right wing and too Thatcherite. Banning the right to strike. Demonising people on social welfare.

That's a typical FG view though!!
    "Blueshirt farmers with plenty of money" is the stereotypical view of FG. They tried hard to move away from that, but Leo will move them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I've always viewed the health ministry as a poisonous one - couldn't believe they handed it to Harris. I don't like Harris but from an FG viewpoint, I can't understand why they gave it to him. No minister is every going to come out the other side of it looking like they did a good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

I've always viewed the health ministry as a poisonous one - couldn't believe they handed it to Harris. I don't like Harris but from an FG viewpoint, I can't understand why they gave it to him. No minister is every going to come out the other side of it looking like they did a good job.

Brian Cowen described it as Angola, ie full of landmines. If Coveney wins Simon (Harris)will get an economic ministry, if Varadkar wins he"ll be left in Health as punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

loobylou wrote: »
    .. if Varadkar wins he"ll be left in Health as punishment.
    And so, it has come to pass :)

Advertisement