Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking card - Ulster bank

• 18-05-2017 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

My wife lost her card - issued by Ulsterbank.
    First thing I told her to ring the bank so they can block it.

She did, but on top of her name, address, DoB, they asked for her phone/online banking PIN (or at least few digits from it).
    My wife doesn't remember such things, so they told her they couldn't do anything for her.

Now - I understand verification of her identity is important for the bank, but if not for the fact that I know her PIN and I gave it to her over the phone, looks like she wouldn't be able to block her card until she got home.
    What if she was on holidays or something?
    What about older people who use their card everyday, but would probably never remember their phone/online banking PINs and passwords?

Is it just me that thinks that blocking a lost/stolen card should be as easy as possible without requiring any additional info to your name and address and DoB ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Data protection laws, you cant just allow access to an account without following a thorough procedure no matter the action requested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Have started using UB lately. Painful enough with all the numbers they look for.

I am with AIB also and they seem more straight forward, maybe I just know all the numbers they look for though as I've been with them years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,079 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should have just asked her about recent deposts in to the account and items purchased, she would also have been able to verify her salary amount going in each month/week that no thief would have knowledge of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭28064212

CiniO wrote: »
    Is it just me that thinks that blocking a lost/stolen card should be as easy as possible without requiring any additional info to your name and address and DoB ?
    So the only information I need to maliciously block your card is your name, address and DoB?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement