Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary schools?

Options
  • 17-05-2017 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi

I have moved to Galway 2 weeks back and seeking admission for my 12 year old boy in 1st Year of a secondary school.
    Can anyone let me know if they have any feedback about the subject college and also if there are any other good secondary schools which I can approach for admissions.

Regards
    Vipul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They said on Facebook back in March that they had 5 first year places left for September 2017, and expected them to go quickly.

I'd be surprised if any are left now, but you might be lucky and find someone else hss dropped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 vipulpopat

Hi
    I recently moved to Galway 2 weeks back and I need a school admission in Year 1 for my 12 year old boy. Looks like all schools are full or on a waiting list.
    Can anyone please help me and suggest how do I go about it. 
    Just to clarify he needs admission in Year 1 of Secondary School for the 2017-18 term

Regards
    Vipul

Would you suggest any other schools in the area whom I can approach ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

vipulpopat wrote: »
    Hi
    I recently moved to Galway 2 weeks back and I need a school admission in Year 1 for my 12 year old boy. Looks like all schools are full or on a waiting list.
    Can anyone please help me and suggest how do I go about it. 
    Just to clarify he needs admission in Year 1 of Secondary School for the 2017-18 term

Regards
    Vipul

What schools have you tried ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Would you suggest any other schools in the area whom I can approach ?

Calasanctius College oranmore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Try all of them - includinh ones in town. Leaving it this late, you'll have to take ehatever is available.

If your kid is particularly independent minded, try Galway Community College first. If not, try them last.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Try all of them - includinh ones in town. Leaving it this late, you'll have to take ehatever is available.

If your kid is particularly independent minded, try Galway Community College first. If not, try them last.
    My nephew was doing a plc course and had a horrible time there because of his physical challenges. Not the school's fault, but the kids in the 2nd school were horrible inconsiderate and bullying to him.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Galway Community College can be a great school depending on your childs needs. It caters for quite a lot of kids with behavioural and discipline issues and I would say it doesn't emphasis academics as much as other schools. If your child is more interested in high academic achieving and going on to third level I would not make it a first stop. Also if they're a shyer quieter child it might not be ideal for them.

I'd try The Bish, St Mary's, The Jes and St Enda's. The first three are all boys, the last is mixed. All have a good enough reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I'd try The Bish, St Mary's, The Jes and St Enda's. The first three are all boys, the last is mixed. All have a good enough reputation.

The Jes is mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Bear in mind that there are always people who accept two or more places and make up their mind at the last minute. You might not have a place when school starts, but it is more than likely that you'll have one soon after.
    Have seen this again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

?Cee?view wrote: »
    The Jes is mixed.

The jes (colaiste iognaid) is very popular so you are unlikely to get a place at this late stage.
    You might be lucky in St Mary's - its less in demand at the moment so might have spaces. It's all boys and walking distance from the city centre.

Hi

I have moved to Galway 2 weeks back and seeking admission for my 12 year old boy in 1st Year of a secondary school.
    Can anyone let me know if they have any feedback about the subject college and also if there are any other good secondary schools which I can approach for admissions.

Regards
    Vipul

When did he turn 12? If he's only just 12 he could go into 6th class of primary and start secondary the following year. You could be more likely to get a place in your chosen school then.

His birth date is 3-Apr-2005, he is already studying in class VII in India

He would be one of the oldest if he went into 6th class in September but not that much older. My boy was born November 2005 and he will be starting 6th class in sept. Could be a back up plan if you can't get a school you like. Galway secondary schools are so hard to get into- we chose our primary on the basis of which secondary we wanted, ridiculous situation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

When did he turn 12? If he's only just 12 he could go into 6th class of primary and start secondary the following year. You could be more likely to get a place in your chosen school then.

I think that's a great idea. It's much easier to settle into a new area in primary school where you're sitting beside other kids for days and weeks at a time and have the same teacher. The transition to secondary is pretty major for most kids without a new area to consider too. Starting secondary at 13 is no way "old" either, the extra year of maturity stands to most kids through their secondary education too.
    This is a definite good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

My eldest is a few weeks older than your son and is going into 6th class this September and won't start secondary school until September 2018. We also moved from a very different culture back into the Irish education system, but at an earlier age. We thought it was worthwhile letting him have the benefit of going in with a group of slightly younger peers in order to give him a bit more room to deal with the culture transition. It's now seven years later and I think it was the right decision.

Does St. Pats still have a seventh class?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Does St. Pats still have a seventh class?

2nd to 6th AFAIK

Never heard of a 7th class.

2nd to 6th AFAIK

Never heard of a 7th class.
    It existed years ago when secondary schools were allowed to use entrance exams to discriminate - boys who were a bit young could do an extra year in St. Pats and be guaranteed access to the Bish.

Thanks for the feedback and opinions everyone.
    Very happy to share with you that my son secured an admission in Year 1 Secondary School at Merlin College in Doughiska
    Appreciate your time.
    Now the second search for me starts is to look for a accomodation in form of a house or a flat nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For that use www.daft.ie and classifieds.advertiser.ie/property/

Advertisement