Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Speaking (Cork)

Options
  • 19-05-2017 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone
    I have an acute fear of public speaking and it consumes me during the build up to saying even a few words. 
    I have thought about toastmasters but to be honest, it seems that they dont account for someone who is very nervous and im sure that it would suit me 
    I think a good starting point would be where absolute beginners meet for an hour every week where we can give presentations to help build our confidence
    Would anyone be interested in this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Hi Everyone
    I have an acute fear of public speaking and it consumes me during the build up to saying even a few words. 
    I have thought about toastmasters but to be honest, it seems that they dont account for someone who is very nervous and im sure that it would suit me 
    I think a good starting point would be where absolute beginners meet for an hour every week where we can give presentations to help build our confidence
    Would anyone be interested in this ?

Not sure what you mean they don't account for people who are nervous?

I would have thought that's the exact type of person they'd be looking to give experience too?

Maybe go along and check it out first before deciding it's not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Ask your doctor about propranolol. Many people use it for public speaking. Musicians also use it for playing onstage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If it puts you at ease OP, I'm looking to go to toastmasters soon & I'd be a very nervous public speaker. It seems the obvious candidate so may as well go once and see what you think of it after

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I would definitely recommend Toastmasters. They came to my school when I was younger and I wouldn't have said boo to anyone then!

I did my usual thing of lying low and saying nothing while the rest picked the jobs they wanted for a speaking event in the main hall. Eventually everyone was picked and they had the host position left. The easy jobs were all gone like timekeeper etc. Of course I was the only one left so I had to do it!

I was literally terrified but it was just sink or swim. I was advised all the way on how to project my voice etc

My experience with them was that they were great with someone who was very, very nervous so I think you should go along and give them a go.

It has helped me in work and especially in interviews where obviously we have to talk confidently about ourselves off the cuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

I would definitely recommend Toastmasters. They came to my school when I was younger and I wouldn't have said boo to anyone then!

I did my usual thing of lying low and saying nothing while the rest picked the jobs they wanted for a speaking event in the main hall. Eventually everyone was picked and they had the host position left. The easy jobs were all gone like timekeeper etc. Of course I was the only one left so I had to do it!

I was literally terrified but it was just sink or swim. I was advised all the way on how to project my voice etc

My experience with them was that they were great with someone who was very, very nervous so I think you should go along and give them a go.

It has helped me in work and especially in interviews where obviously we have to talk confidently about ourselves off the cuff.

I'd second that. Give them a go and take your time. It takes time and effort to shake off nerves but I have seen it happen many times with toastmasters. There are no instant solutions like some of the TV shows try to tell you. It does take time. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 tommy35

Hi Guys,

I would also highly recommend toastmasters as a way of building confidence and overcoming the fear of public speaking. Toastmasters is a way of overcome the fear of public speaking by doing. Its a way of promoting learning but always in a friendly and fun way. There is a great club called Cork Douglas Toastmasters, in the Rochestown / Douglas Area, which meet every 2nd Wednesday in the Rochestown Park Hotel. They are a very friendly bunch and always welcome new guests. Link below for those who are interested in contacting them

toastmasterclub.org/clubdata.php?c=151

Advertisement