Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin myths / urban legends

• 19-05-2017 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about the one this morning where if you run around the black church three times you'll see the devil. Or one of the explanations for the Bleeding Horse pub being that a horse wandered in to the bar from the battle of Rathmines with a bleeding wound in its neck. Does anyone know of a list of similar stories that might exist somewhere? A book or a website?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

My ma is from phibsboro and used to talk about running around the Black Church 3 times would result in the devil himself appearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭endacl

....... wrote: »

Clockwise for any month with an 'r' in the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

....... wrote: »
    Clockwise or anti clockwise?

Anti-clockwise, I'd say, and then 3 times clockwise to make him disappear again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

topwise, run topwise!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My ma is from phibsboro and used to talk about running around the Black Church 3 times would result in the devil himself appearing

You had to do it at midnight on the church of announciation in finglas for the bloke to appear.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

The Come Here To Me blog has heaps of great articles about Dublin lore.

https://comeheretome.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

That one was the local story when I was was a nipper but in the version we were fed you had to run around it backwards. I was always tempted to have a go over the years, but running backwards when your locked can be dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

The Blue Boy in St David's CBS in Artane.

He was seemingly an inmate/student in the old Industrial School who died from hypothermia one night when his punishment was to go out and run around in the snow, he froze to death, hence the colour.

Here's a thread
    from 10 years ago with some myths in it.

• Advertisement

The Blue Boy in St David's CBS in Artane.

He was seemingly an inmate/student in the old Industrial School who died from hypothermia one night when his punishment was to go out and run around in the snow, he froze to death, hence the colour.

Here's a thread
    from 10 years ago with some myths in it.

Was just about to post this. In the grounds of the school, there was a big heavy concrete grave stone (near the artane boys band building). Someone somehow moved it, and underneath was a stairway. I used to meet all my classmates and bring them to show them. there were three graves, but just one huge stone had been dragged out of place. It was left like this for a few months. There is a housing estate on it now.

Obviously this became part of the blueboy myth in our world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I found an interesting one yesterday:

http://storymap.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Anybody familiar with the legend of Curley's Hole?

Apparantly a whirlpool notorious for drowning people but not sure where exactly it was supposed to be...i heard Clontarf from my Grandad but somebody else said it was in Malahide.

The Curley Hole is a place on the Boyne River

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

The Curley Hole is a place on the Boyne River

Nah this is called Curley's Hole. This article briefly references it as does Douglas Aplleyard's book on clontarf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I seen a book in Raheny libary in with the history books around Dublin to do with all the legends. Maybe I will pick it up and share some on here?

There was on about some black cat or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

TallGlass wrote: »
    I seen a book in Raheny libary in with the history books around Dublin to do with all the legends. Maybe I will pick it up and share some on here?

There was on about some black cat or something.

Probably the black cat of Killakee near Mont Pelier hill which is where the hellfire club is.

and

and

I remember eating in that restaurant as a kid, the carpet was cool, red with large back cats all over it!

Its derelict now :(

The Hell Fire myth itself is worth looking into.

Man appears for a poker game, someone spots his cloven hooves under the table, wins a guy's soul, proceeds to chase said guy down the mountain.

You can supposedly see his hoof print in one of the fireplaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Funnily enough a similar myth has been connected with Loftus hall in Wexford.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loftus_Hall

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montpelier_Hill

• Advertisement
Advertisement