Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kill your babies - Super Nintendo edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love Super Punch Out. My only complaint is I prefer the NES game and both are really badly affected by the lag caused by modern TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I love Super Punch Out. My only complaint is I prefer the NES game and both are really badly affected by the lag caused by modern TVs.

Its a great game. You can go realistic or cartoony, both valid, but if you're going cartoony you live and die by how interesting the characters are.

No Soda Popinski, No Don Flamenco, no Glass Joe, no Mike Tyson?

Gabby Jay and Mad Clown? Its just not good enough.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think the whole haven't played it thing needs to be followed religiously. Just give a good reason for getting rid of. Then I can tell you how wrong you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

AXELAY
    DEMON'S CREST
    DONKEY KONG COUNTRY 2 - DIDDY'S KONG QUEST
    ILLUSION OF GAIA
    LUFIA II - RISE OF THE SINISTRALS
    PILOTWINGS
    SECRET OF MANA
    SUPER CASTLEVANIA IV
    SUPER METROID
    SUPER PUNCH-OUT!!
    SUPER TURRICAN
    WILD GUNS

Pilotwings in 1990 was one of the best arguments for the strength of mode 7 for a variety of game types.

But that is ultimately what it is. A collection of smaller disconnected games. Tied together as a series of lessons and with some fun twists and turns. In contrast to F Zero (the other Mode 7 case argument) which I think was cut too soon this is the more varied title but ultimately weaker of the two titles.

It's a good game. I mean its the rarity of an actual good flight simulator on console

but its also one of those sum of their parts vs the whole titles that has you very firmly feeling its limitation. Again its direct comparison is F Zero which is much more focused and the better of the two.

it deserved to get this far.

but no further.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Then I can tell you how wrong you are.

Basically this forum, really.

• Advertisement

Touche

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

AXELAY
    DEMON'S CREST
    ILLUSION OF GAIA
    PILOTWINGS
    SECRET OF MANA
    SUPER CASTLEVANIA IV
    SUPER METROID
    SUPER PUNCH-OUT!!
    SUPER TURRICAN
    WILD GUNS

And there goes Lufia II - Rise of the Sinistrals

There are currently 3 JRPGs left on the list, a horrible genre that the SNES is largely responsible for contaminating the west with. Besides, nobody has ever heard of this game, knows who Lufia is or what a Sinistral looks like.

It's Fake Games!

Poor Lufia 2. Always gets forgotten about for FF6 and chrono trigger. It's quite ahead of its time narratively. It's a strange game because you know exactly how it ends since its shown at the start of Lufia 2. It's quite melancholic as you know everything will turn to **** at the end but watch these people try to build their lives. Also the main relationship plot is surprisingly mature and I've not seen anything like it in a game until maybe xenoblade.

Great game to play with some fun puzzle dungeons.

AXELAY
    DEMON'S CREST
    ILLUSION OF GAIA
    PILOTWINGS
    SECRET OF MANA
    SUPER CASTLEVANIA IV
    SUPER METROID
    SUPER PUNCH-OUT!!
    SUPER TURRICAN
    WILD GUNS

Going to make KO Kiki cry with this one but secret if mana is out. It's a wonderful game in every way but it's kind of buggy and as far as action RPGs go Illusion of Gaia is better and was the first pretentious JRPG which spawned the likes of FF7 and it's ilk during the PS1 era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Glenster wrote: »
    AXELAY
    DEMON'S CREST
    ILLUSION OF GAIA
    PILOTWINGS
    SECRET OF MANA
    SUPER CASTLEVANIA IV
    SUPER METROID
    SUPER PUNCH-OUT!!
    SUPER TURRICAN
    WILD GUNS

Super Punch out.

Is my issue that its short? No. Some great games are short.

Is my issue that it feels like a polished NES port? No. Graphics aren't everything.

Is my issue that it was difficult? No. It needed to be hard because it was essentially only a one player game.

Is my issue that it was one player? No. The single player mode is deep enough that it stands on its own.

My problem was that the game went down the cartoony route but saddled us with the worst two final bosses of all time. I don't care if I beat Nick/Rick Bruiser. Who even are they?
    Haha I never got that far, I had a look on youtube and the furthest I definitely got was Narcis Prince. Which wasn't too far from the end, which surprised me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Poor Lufia 2. Always gets forgotten about for FF6 and chrono trigger. It's quite ahead of its time narratively. It's a strange game because you know exactly how it ends since its shown at the start of Lufia 2. It's quite melancholic as you know everything will turn to **** at the end but watch these people try to build their lives. Also the main relationship plot is surprisingly mature and I've not seen anything like it in a game until maybe xenoblade.

Great game to play with some fun puzzle dungeons.

AXELAY
    DEMON'S CREST
    ILLUSION OF GAIA
    PILOTWINGS
    SECRET OF MANA
    SUPER CASTLEVANIA IV
    SUPER METROID
    SUPER PUNCH-OUT!!
    SUPER TURRICAN
    WILD GUNS

Going to make KO Kiki cry with this one but secret if mana is out. It's a wonderful game in every way but it's kind of buggy and as far as action RPGs go Illusion of Gaia is better and was the first pretentious JRPG which spawned the likes of FF7 and it's ilk during the PS1 era.

:(
    I'll always have the greatest opening of all time.

• Advertisement

I would have voted Secret of Mana just for how much people sold me on it as a *multiplayer* game as a kid and then when I tried for the first time with a friend we were stuck waiting the 10-20 minutes it takes to find your first companion to growing frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

AXELAY
    DEMON'S CREST
    ILLUSION OF GAIA
    PILOTWINGS
    SECRET OF MANA
    SUPER CASTLEVANIA IV
    SUPER METROID
    SUPER PUNCH-OUT!!
    SUPER TURRICAN
    WILD GUNS

Donkey Kong County 2 goes. Not sure how it's still here to be honest, those games got by on their looks back in the day and there were plenty of better platformers around even back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

AXELAY
    DEMON'S CREST
    ILLUSION OF GAIA
    PILOTWINGS
    SECRET OF MANA
    SUPER CASTLEVANIA IV
    SUPER METROID
    SUPER PUNCH-OUT!!
    SUPER TURRICAN
    WILD GUNS

Killing SUPER TURRICAN, haven't heard of it, but it seems to occupy competing space with Castlevania 4 and Metroid. I'm clued in enough to know while it may
    be an amazing game, it is no-one's here "SNES baby" compared to the other 2

AXELAY
    DEMON'S CREST
    ILLUSION OF GAIA
    PILOTWINGS
    SECRET OF MANA
    SUPER CASTLEVANIA IV
    SUPER METROID
    SUPER PUNCH-OUT!!
    SUPER TURRICAN
    WILD GUNS
    Demons' Crest doesn't deserve to be on a list alongside Metroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

AXELAY
    DEMON'S CREST
    ILLUSION OF GAIA
    PILOTWINGS
    SECRET OF MANA
    SUPER CASTLEVANIA IV
    SUPER METROID
    SUPER PUNCH-OUT!!
    SUPER TURRICAN
    WILD GUNS

Axelay.

I'm pretty sure I've played it, but I couldn't swear to it, I could be thinking of R-Type. That's why its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    :(
    I'll always have the greatest opening of all time.

Best thing about it.
    Donkey Kong County 2 goes. Not sure how it's still here to be honest, those games got by on their looks back in the day and there were plenty of better platformers around even back then.

Broadly speaking, I would agree but DKC2, is actually a pretty decent platformer.

AXELAY
    DEMON'S CREST
    ILLUSION OF GAIA
    PILOTWINGS
    SECRET OF MANA
    SUPER CASTLEVANIA IV
    SUPER METROID
    SUPER PUNCH-OUT!!
    SUPER TURRICAN
    WILD GUNS

Sorry Castlevania 4. You are a fantastic game but just a bit too weird compared to the rest of the series. Also Vania 3 is the much better game.

That's me out until the voting I think.

Damn that was the game I wanted to keep lol.

I tried other castlevanias but they can only whip horizontally, which is difficult to adjust to while being used to IV. Great soundtrack too.

AXELAY
    DEMON'S CREST
    ILLUSION OF GAIA
    PILOTWINGS
    SECRET OF MANA
    SUPER CASTLEVANIA IV
    SUPER METROID
    SUPER PUNCH-OUT!!
    SUPER TURRICAN
    WILD GUNS

Just got in under the four people rule in time to cut Wild Guns. It's a good game, a really fun shooter and a blast in 2 player, it just doesn't hang with Metroid and Illusion of Gaia for me.

• Advertisement

So it's a toss up between the only game I'd consider perfect and a game that during a segment when you are stranded at sea makes you wait in real time on a tiny raft to make the player feel bored and isolated. Illusion of Gaia had balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Poll added!

Illusion of Gaia was actually called Illusion of Time in Europe which may confuse people.

edit: Apparently Illusion of Time sold more than Super Metroid in Europe! 150k vs 120k

I cant even bring myself to pretend I might vote any other way. i knew where this was ending when I first saw the list.

But I will make a promise.

For getting to the final I will try to find and play illusion of gaia. I assume its on virtual console (I hope) somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

For getting to the final I will try to find and play illusion of gaia. I assume its on virtual console (I hope) somewhere?
    Unfortunately not :( Ebay or emulators your only options.

What should I vote if I've played neither. What a pickle :/
    I bring great shame on my house

Same here more or less. I tried Metroid a few years ago but just didn't get into it.
    I think LttP might have pushed it, but it was the first game to be eliminated lol

Only Metroid I played was the 1st Gamecube one, and It looked amazing graphically (for the time) but I felt lost and couldn't get into the 3D metroidvania back and forth trekking aspect

BTW how come Terranigma wasn't on the list?

What should I vote if I've played neither. What a pickle :/
    I bring great shame on my house

Don't vote. Just play super metroid and thank me later.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    BTW how come Terranigma wasn't on the list?

Never got the love it deserves because it came out so late in the console's life and didn't get an American release, but to my mind in the best RPG on the console bar none. That includes Chrono Trigger and FFV/VI.

Advertisement