Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kill your babies - Super Nintendo edition

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Congrats Super Metroid, worthy winner

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Only Metroid I played was the 1st Gamecube one, and It looked amazing graphically (for the time) but I felt lost and couldn't get into the 3D metroidvania back and forth trekking aspect

Super Metroid is still very playable today. Definitely owe it to yourself to give it a crack. Fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was gonna kill Super Metroid a few days back. I never bought into the hype and it really wasn't the type of game i liked. Just didn't do it for me. But for fear of having my account deleted by Retro, i left it in. Plus, i was only killing it because i wanted DKC2 to win! Regardless of what ye all say, i thought it was one of the best games on the SNES!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was gonna kill Super Metroid a few days back. I never bought into the hype and it really wasn't the type of game i liked. Just didn't do it for me. But for fear of having my account deleted by Retro, i left it in. Plus, i was only killing it because i wanted DKC2 to win! Regardless of what ye all say, i thought it was one of the best games on the SNES!

Consider this a mod warning for going against the teachings of super metroid.

How long did you play super metroid for out of curiosity? It's not a game to show it's true genius after a quick go at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Super Metroid is definitely a lovingly made game but it's play style doesn't particularly appeal to me. I voted for it though as JPRGs appeal to me even less.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Consider this a mod warning for going against the teachings of super metroid.

How long did you play super metroid for out of curiosity? It's not a game to show it's true genius after a quick go at it.

Noted! Can't remember exactly which one, but not long. Any metroidvania game never really appealed to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This reminds me, I still have Super Metroid to finish on my 3DS.

How the feck did Illusion of Gaia/Time get to the end

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How the feck did Illusion of Gaia/Time get to the end

Because it's awesome?

Because it's awesome?

Looking at the original list, it's probably one of the best RPG's there but Terranigma was superior in almost every facet which is excluded. I'd say no one had ever played Illusion of Time so didn't get killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Noted! Can't remember exactly which one, but not long. Any metroidvania game never really appealed to me.

That's a shame, they really are great when done right. Ultimate form of platforming imo. Symphony of the Night is just incredible.

I wish I did, there's a massive back catalogue of metroidvania games, but i just can't get into them! I expect platforming and i get a schmup-type game. Maybe some day... Maybe Wizards and Warriors 3 ruined those types of games for me..

Wouldn't call wizards and warriors 3 a metroidvania. It's more a ****ty euro platformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

euro platformer

What even is that? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I would have killed S Metroid soley for the MULTILINGUAL UNSKIPPABLE SUBTITLES AT THE START. I know theres none later but it was a terrible teriible design option and shows how little Nintendo cared about European releases.

What even is that? :pac:

Platform games made by Europeans for home computers that were popular in Europe in the 80's and 90's. They have a certain feel and structure, usually featuring a lot of aimless wandering and non linearity rather than having a solid design or structure like say Super Metroid. Also usually involve collecting items to solve minor puzzles.

Wizards and Warriors 3 like the entire series was created by English developers who worked on many of these titles and it retains a lot of those elements.

Here's some education, I'm not just talking through my hoop:

http://hg101.proboards.com/thread/13521/deal-euro-style-games

They have one common trait, Americans hate them and are baffled why Europeans love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's a shame, they really are great when done right. Ultimate form of platforming imo. Symphony of the Night is just incredible.
    I have seen Ori and the blind forest described as metroidvania.. is that correct?
    I enjoyed that but I thought it was just a platformer. I never played SotN

eyerer wrote: »
    I have seen Ori and the blind forest described as metroidvania.. is that correct?
    I enjoyed that but I thought it was just a platformer. I never played SotN

It is but I'd say it's not a great example of one, that game gets a pass by a lot of people because it looks gorgeous. It's alright. There's good metroidvania games but nothing really comes close to matching Super Metroid and SotN. They are just game design perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ori is metroidvania. You explore, gain powerups and abilities, some areas are locked off until you get said abilities, etc. All things quintessential to the genre.

What seperates it from most of the other metroidvania's is that they tend to focus on combat. Ori is more of a platformer. You can dodge nearly all the enemies if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

It is but I'd say it's not a great example of one, that game gets a pass by a lot of people because it looks gorgeous. It's alright. There's good metroidvania games but nothing really comes close to matching Super Metroid and SotN. They are just game design perfection.

I've heard good things about hollow knight

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I've heard good things about hollow knight

Not heard a lot about it myself but it certainly looks gorgeous. I'm just a bit wary of the indie metroidvanias, few really achieve the same quality of Metroid/SotN, although that's a tall order. If I'm to recommend these types of games to people all always start with those two as I don't think they've been bettered but there are a few metroidvanias I'd rank up there with them or close.

Also that's not a slight against the indie Metroidvania's, even the ones that don't achieve legendary status, like Shadow Complex, are still great games and worth playing.

Except Castlevania Mirror of Fate. That game is garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

And ironically, MercurySteam are making the new 3DS Metroid, Metroid: Samus Returns...

From what I've seen of it, it looks like they've been guided a fair bit on it by Nintendo, and have created something that looks like it lives up to the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

It's not new. Its a remake of Metroid 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's a re-imagining, with loads changed, including the base mechanics, enemies, so it's pretty much a new game.

Yeah Mercurysteam are working on it and while Mirror of Fate is metroidvania done wrong in everyway possible they are a talented team that will learn from their mistakes.

Also Nintendo will be managing the project and usually when Nintendo do this they get the best out of a team, just look how they turned around Retro Studios who had 4 mediocre games cancelled and then went on to do some amazing stuff once Nintendo got involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

If I didn't like Gameboy Metroid, would I like Super Metroid? GameCube version looked good, but I could never convince the brother to out it down and give me a go.

McGaggs wrote: »
    If I didn't like Gameboy Metroid, would I like Super Metroid? GameCube version looked good, but I could never convince the brother to out it down and give me a go.

I didn't like Gamebody Metroid at the time for whatever reason but I loved Super Metroid. I thought it was ugly as sin and it didn't work on a tiny screen. The colourful environments really add to the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Most stuff on the Original Gameboy was cr@p tbh

Most stuff on the Original Gameboy was cr@p tbh

Gameboy has a huge amount of incredible games. Most of the good stuff is still golden. It really is an underappreciated system. Gameboy world has benn great for uncovering some forgotten gems on that system.

Metroid on it doesn't hold up that well. The big problem is the lack of a map.

Super Metroid is very different and much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

19488965_10210851055006578_1544122389378972695_o.jpg?oh=981d8d6741f88ceaf20faebad73f7370&oe=59DD51CC

ROUND TWO LET'S GO! LOL :D

Contra III: The Alien Wars™
    Donkey Kong Country™
    EarthBound™
    Final Fantasy III
    F-ZERO™
    Kirby™ Super Star
    Kirby’s Dream Course™
    The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past™
    Mega Man® X
    Secret of Mana
    Star Fox™