Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security suggestions for country cottage - cameras / alarms

Options
  • 19-05-2017 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, we recently moved in to a cottage out in the middle of nowhere on the Longford / Westmeath border. Internet is fairly bad - ~6mb copper Eir, and phone reception is also rubbish. Mobile data seems non-existent.

We have no neighbours in the vicinity.
    Windows are all old sash style and doors are wooden. House was empty for 10 years and has had a stove nicked from it when we first bought - we really are in dodgy situation with regards to home security.

This morning someone (of the van driving persuasion :D) knocked on the door, seemed awful surprised when I answered and managed stumble out some words to ask me if my car (hidden around the back) was for sale. Reckon we dodged a bullet on that one.

My gf has 3 (yes, 3) pedigree cats that are basically her children, so is understandably a bit worried for them :D

What can we do out here to maximize putting someone off trying their luck? In an ideal world I would have Nest cameras everywhere, motion sensor lights and an alarm.

Because of these 3 damn cats we can't really have an alarm can we? I read that an ADT alarm can handle 1 cat, so I suspect they are all pretty much the same. Because of the sh*te internet we can't really do some Next cameras either.

I'm thinking some kind of CCTV, and a fake alarm box might be good for a start, but I don't know where to start looking for the CCTV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

You certainly could put an alarm in, with all windows and doors covered. The cats would only set off PIR sensors internally so you could do an alarm without these if it was going to be a problem, or I believe there are pet friendly versions as you said, so the experts would know more about how they work. It sounds like you are quite remote, so you'll definitely want the alarm to notify you via text or an app if it's going off, or have it notify a monitoring company. I'd imagine even a slow internet connection should be more then enough to cope with that, or it can be done directly through the phone line with some systems, without the need for an internet connection.

I'm assuming 6mb is your download speed on your internet - the upload speed will be more important for cameras. You might manage a low resolution feed from a camera or two.

Your best bet would be to get an installer or two to come out and assess the property, and give you quotes.

Some other simple things you could do would be lights on timers when you're not there, maybe a radio on a timer, or one of those fake tv lights that make it look like a tv is flickering in a room. Basically, anything you can do that makes the place look like somebody is home!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JuanGreen

I believe that the person who responded up above offered some really good advice. Like you said, it would have been much easier to set up your security parameters if you didn't have so many elements to work with (slow internet and the cats etc.). However, there are a few things you can do. I'd say the first is take the time to really see which physical security measures you can employ to help keep the cottage more secure. This means see if you can install some better door locks and window locks you should try that. It always helps to have alarms and cctv in place, but these should be used to bolster a strong physical security foundation. 
    The nest cam is a good option to have and one I think you should still try if you happen to figure out a solution to your slow internet speed. But the point above about the upload speed as compared to the download speed is very true. I think that you should use some door and window sensors at the very least and alter the sensitivity so that the cats don't set it off. I'll see if I can find some suggestions to send your way. I think you should focus on increasing physical security measures and then couple that with some of the other deterrents like a fake alarm box and lights on timers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Thanks folks, didn't realise you could get sensors for doors and windows only. We'll get a couple security guys out to assess the place. Put up a fake alarm box last week. I don't think the internet will cope with a Nest cam - our upload speed over ethernet is rarely more than about 0.4 :/

Hopefully we can get something monitored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

few ip cams ? no need for broadband since it would be in your local network,and some NAS or old pc to use as storage.Many brands allow for snapshots or email alerts as well thus allowing some notification without draining on bb speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JuanGreen

That's a great suggestion actually, plus these days IP cameras seem to have a lot more benefits than their counterparts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

JuanGreen wrote: »
    That's a great suggestion actually, plus these days IP cameras seem to have a lot more benefits than their counterparts

Ive seen a few incidents when a cable been plugged out by mistake has lost all hope of capturing anything. IP is grand for expansion and less cable runs but also can have its pitfalls.

Advertisement