Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's in your range bag

Options
  • 19-05-2017 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

As the name suggests I'm curious as to what you carry in your range bag. I have seen everything from small tool kits to cleaning kits and 3 or 4 pairs of glasses in the bags of lads at my local range. So is there any " must have " item you can't leave home without

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Jaysus, where to start. I have a box/bag for each firearm so all i have to do is grab a firearm and respective bag and i'm good to go. My normal stuff would include:
    • Ammo
    • Cleaning products (oils, chemicals, patches, jags, and jars of spare jags, etc)
    • Staple gun and staples
    • Target patches
    • Shoot-N-C patches
    • Small Torch (sometimes two)
    • Tools (torgue wrench, Allen keys, pliers, screwdriver, ratchet kit, pointed nose pliers, etc)
    • Bore guide
    • Cloths (lots of cloths)
    • Loctite and red loctite
    • Spirit levels (plural, as in i have usually two to four)
    • String/plum line
    • Ear plugs
    • Two pairs of safety glasses
    • Gloves
    • Elbow pads
    • Spare gun parts (rails, rings, rail screws, action screws, QD studs, swivel slings, trigger kit, trigger, butt pad, etc)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Luckysasha wrote: »
    As the name suggests I'm curious as to what you carry in your range bag. I have seen everything from small tool kits to cleaning kits and 3 or 4 pairs of glasses in the bags of lads at my local range. So is there any " must have " item you can't leave home without

With me when I'm shooting I always have:
    • At least one (and usually two) allen keys or screwdrivers for every bolt or screw on the gun.
    • A torque wrench.
    • Cleaning gear so that the gun can go back in the box clean.
    • Spare cold weather gear because ranges are always colder than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Luckysasha wrote: »

- Ammunition
    - Ear defenders
    - Torque wrench with hex and torx bits
    - Rear bag
    - Notebook and pen
    - Stapler and box of staples
    - Breech flags
    - Rifle bolts in bolt carriers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Not a rifle shooter but for the Craic I just checked. In my bag I've various types of shooting glasses but I wear the same type all the time. Ear plugs x 5 ear muffs X2, choke tubes a choke wrench a baseball cap a half bottle of coke and a Mars bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Not a rifle shooter but for the Craic I just checked. In my bag I've various types of shooting glasses but I wear the same type all the time. Ear plugs x 5 ear muffs X2, choke tubes a choke wrench a baseball cap a half bottle of coke and a Mars bar.

All you need now is a gun with a cup holder !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

No one sofar has a user replaceable critical parts kit for their firearm in their range bag??.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    No one sofar has a user replaceable critical parts kit for their firearm in their range bag??.:)
    Ahem........................
    Cass wrote: »
    • Spare gun parts (rails, rings, rail screws, action screws, QD studs, swivel slings, trigger kit, trigger, butt pad, etc)
    Granted it doesn't everything for every rifle, but except in the circumstance of a critical failure i've spares for most every part.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

In my shooting bag is the hope that some day I might win a competition :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

From the guy who doesn't have a range bag,he has a range VAN!:D:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭jb88

Different bags have different stuff

This is one example
    Rifle
    Drag bag
    Bipods x 2
    Shooting slings x 2
    Drop charts, Pens and Paper (Shooting clipboard, water resistant)
    Wind measurement device
    Range finder
    Ammo
    Cleaning Rod, Jags and patches, Oil and cleaning solvent, Bisley Gun Grease
    Bore Guide
    Cover for Bolt
    Spare mag
    Tools to open and close everything hex keys and lots of small Allen keys
    Multitool for removing tough cases
    2 X Levels mounted on the scope and on the rail
    Cosine angle indicator
    Poncho
    Mat
    Rear bag
    Breach flag

Bottle of water
    Cap
    Ear defenders x 2
    Safety Glasses
    Phone
    Towel
    Scientific calculator
    Small wire brush
    Patches
    Scope and spare scope mounts, inserts for scope mounts.
    Spare screws

Don't ask me what its for or how its used, I haven't a clue. Just have lots of stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Cap
    Ear defenders
    spare Mag
    spare Ammo
    winder-breaker

some stress (left in the first target !)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    From the guy who doesn't have a range bag,he has a range VAN!:D:D:D

I need all the help I can get :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I don't have a range bag :(

What I bring depends on what gun I bring.

In my rifle slip, I have the rifle, with mod, glass and bipod attached. I keep shoot-n-c targets in there and I pack 2 mags and some ammo.

In my shotgun slip, I keep the shotgun, spare choke with key and silicon ear plugs. I carry a belt for my ammo separately, which holds a box of shells.

I prefer to keep my cleaning gear at home, because the little wooden shed at the range is not a nice place to be.

goz83 wrote: »
    I don't have a range bag :(

What I bring depends on what gun I bring.

In my rifle slip, I have the rifle, with mod, glass and bipod attached. I keep shoot-n-c targets in there and I pack 2 mags and some ammo.

In my shotgun slip, I keep the shotgun, spare choke with key and silicon ear plugs. I carry a belt for my ammo separately, which holds a box of shells.

I prefer to keep my cleaning gear at home, because the little wooden shed at the range is not a nice place to be.

How will you manage with three bags when you get the pistol!!!

For the pistol I carry, a holster, 2 x mags, ammo if I have some left over or I will buy it on the day, stapler , ear defenders, 2 x glasses. The small tool kit that beretta supplied with the pistol. The bag I have is a bit small so I plan on upgrading to a decent bag when I'm in the states next week. Also going to keep my eye out for a red dot sight, depending on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I opened my range bag last night to clean it out. This is what was inside.

1 digital timer
    1 set of electronic ear defenders
    1 set of ear plugs
    100 approx. .22lr CCI (unusual for me to come home from the range with ammo)
    1 pair shooting glasses, case and cleaning cloth
    1 water bottle (empty)
    1 set of scope covers that should have been on my rifle.
    5 pistol magazines
    5 rifle magazines
    1 stapler
    2 boxes staples
    1/4 of a pack of t&p1 targets
    1 cleaning kit (rods, oil, patches and other bits and pieces)
    1 mini screwdriver set
    1 tin of spare parts such as firing pins, springs, recoil buffers etc.
    2 spare red dot sight batteries (not sure if they are working)
    2 pens and a bit of a clip board
    A 'hape' of used scorecards that should have gone into the bin ages ago
    About €8 in change that was in the bottom of the bag for some reason
    Club ID badge on lanyard
    Range officers badge holder
    Yellow high viz range officers vest
    Whistle
    Some empty shells that I didn't know fell into my bag.

No wonder the fcukin thing weighs a tonne. I really need to clean out the range bag more often. :o

I've other bags at home that I work out of too but they rarely make it to the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Grizzly 45 wrote:
    No one sofar has a user replaceable critical parts kit for their firearm in their range bag??.

No but a half bottle of coke and a Mars bar is as important.........

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thunderduck

Ammo
    Ear muffs
    Glasses
    Cleaning kit
    Bore snake
    Mini First aid box
    Club badge
    Skeet vest
    Chokes

And a wispa gold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I know whats not in my range bag.......my f#cking leatherman wave.........can't find it any where!...@...#....$$$...X..agghhh!

Advertisement