Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat bar racer recommendation

Options
  • 19-05-2017 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a flat bar racer on the BTW scheme, not to commute but for fitness purposes. Have not cycled in quite a while !

I'm 193cm tall, so prefer the flat vs drop bar, as at my height cycling with drop bars is challenging, so won't be buying a drop bar bike.

I want to use the full allowance, so wanted the bike & any accessories needed for around the Eur1,000 mark.

Would prefer hydraulic disc brakes, but other than that am open to suggestions.

Welcome thoughts on what best options would be for a flat bar racer.

I did calculations on frame size using ebicycles.com, & this works out at a 62cm/24.5" frame required.

Also what would be core accessories to buy eg bar ends ?

Thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

banchang wrote: »
    Also what would be core accessories to buy eg bar ends ?
    Tri bars are good for when you're battling a headwind.

A top tube bag is handy for snacks, so you don't have to stop and take them out of your backpack.

A couple of large 750ml bottles to stay hydrated. Or maybe a camelback so you can hydrate yourself on the move without taking your hands off the bars.

Make sure you get a helmet with a visor, it helps keep the rain out of your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

I'm 193cm tall, so prefer the flat vs drop bar, as at my height cycling with drop bars is challenging, so won't be buying a drop bar bike.

even if you don't plan on using the drops, you have more positions on a drop bar bike, you've got the bar itself, the hoods, and then the drops - plus you never know you may like to join a club someday - and won't be allowed to with a flat bar bike.

You may not feel flexible now - i certainly didn't but over time you will. My biggest regret - one you hear often - is guys buying hybrids, getting bitten by the cycling bug - and then wishing they had bought a road bike.

edit - i guess you could by bull horns on the flat bar to give you further options on the flat bar

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lumen wrote: »
    Tri bars are good for when you're battling a headwind.

A top tube bag is handy for snacks, so you don't have to stop and take them out of your backpack.

A couple of large 750ml bottles to stay hydrated. Or maybe a camelback so you can hydrate yourself on the move without taking your hands off the bars.

Make sure you get a helmet with a visor, it helps keep the rain out of your eyes.

That was €1,000 not €10,000 and fear of drop bars does not necessarily make one tri-curios :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Thoughts appreciated.

I found drop bars took a bit of getting used to myself but well worth the effort. A relative titch at only 186cm but the taller you are the more of you faces into the wind so drop bars are your friend. Also your centre of gravity is lower in the drops so descending feels more comfortable. Again, this is a bigger issue for tall lads than short asses.

That said, for flat bars over distance I'd definitely recommend bar ends as it does give you some change of position. Problem with flat bars is you don't tend to change position, so your arse, back and wrists may well suffer as a result. But really, don't write off drops until you've given them a proper go.

Edit: Also, should you ever decide to join a cycling club, most of them insist on drop bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

Giant Rapid Flat Bar racer FTW!

I bought one on the BTW scheme 6 years ago as my first bike and commuted with it for about a year before converting it to drop bars and using it for another 6 months.

I then caught the cycling 'N+1 bikes' bug and it ended up in the attic before I sold it recently as a drop bar racer.

Great bike, can take 28c tyres and mudguards and even has rack mounts on the back. What's not to like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

My only bike for about six years and my commuter/everyday bike now is a flat-bar version of the Cannondale Synapse. At the time I bought it, it was one of the few highish spec road bikes available with flat bars but Giant and others soon followed. I used it primarily for commuting as I found the slightly higher hand position on the brakes better around town compared to a range of bikes with dropped bars I had previously used. It also served well on long distance rides including many of the big climbs in the Alps and Pyrennees. The only slight problem was trying to get into low positions on descents and into headwinds.

When I bought it, I shortened the bars a bit to squeeze between traffic in town and fitted bar end which are a great addition. The issue of clubs not allowing flat bars is certainly not universal as my current club certainly allows them and it has never been an issue on sportives unlike Tri-bars. There is a certain amount of snobbery around about flat-bars and I've even had patronising comments when taking my turn at the front of a group in sportives such as "you're going great for a hybrid"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I recently bought a Cube SL Road pro. 700x35

Sora 2016 Gears. Hydraulic disks and Basically full Shimano components for 799e.

Cube sell Mudguards, Kickstand and Pannier rack, so i got the shop to buy them for me when ordering the bike.

They have a 62cm model for a man of your height.

I bought Ergon GP5 bar ends and they make the bike so much more comfortable (adds 3 or 4 hand positions)

11-32 so plenty of speed and great for hills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I recently bought a Cube SL Road pro. 700x35

Sora 2016 Gears. Hydraulic disks and Basically full Shimano components for 799e.

Cube sell Mudguards, Kickstand and Pannier rack, so i got the shop to buy them for me when ordering the bike.

They have a 62cm model for a man of your height.

I bought Ergon GP5 bar ends and they make the bike so much more comfortable (adds 3 or 4 hand positions)

11-32 so plenty of speed and great for hills

Excellent thanks for that - just the sort of advice I was seeking. Where did you buy?

Excellent thanks for that - just the sort of advice I was seeking. Where did you buy?

I bought it from a LBS in Waterford City.

If you are from Dublin, there are plenty of places that sell Cube

I bought it from a LBS in Waterford City.

If you are from Dublin, there are plenty of places that sell Cube

Had a look last night.

Isn't the Cube SL Road Pro more a hybrid than a flat bar racer - I was just looking at the tyres which I know can be changed, but wondered nonetheless ?

• Advertisement

banchang wrote:
    Had a look last night.

Ah so you want 23c or 25c Tyres?

The term hybrid can encompass many types of bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I'm looking to buy a flat bar racer on the BTW scheme, not to commute but for fitness purposes.

Surely you mean both to commute and for fitness purposes? We couldn't have any intentional tax fraud being condoned on here!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Surely you mean both to commute and for fitness purposes? We couldn't have any intentional tax fraud being condoned on here!

Yes of course !

@moonboy52 - yes also I was thinking of 25 or so - these are 35 with a MTB style tread.

Yes of course !

@moonboy52 - yes also I was thinking of 25 or so - these are 35 with a MTB style tread.

The Pro has slick tyres, Kojacks

Best of luck with your hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

There is a certain amount of snobbery around about flat-bars.

Due to my bike having flat bars I often get comments that I cycle a 'heavy mountain bike'.

The Pro has slick tyres, Kojacks

Best of luck with your hunt

Thanks for all your help - this one looks like what I was after.

Made enquiries & the Cube SL Road Pro is no longer available anywhere, even to order, until their new model comes out.

One shop recommended 2017 Giant Rapid 2 as next best (but slightly more expensive) alternative.

Thoughts on this appreciated.

Advertisement