Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland metre

Options
  • 19-05-2017 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Hi thinking of getting a pay as you go metre installed from electric Ireland. Any feedback would be appreciated on anybody's good or bad experience with them. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Hi thinking of getting a pay as you go metre installed from electric Ireland. Any feedback would be appreciated on anybody's good or bad experience with them. Thanks.

A friend got a pre paid meter about 5 years ago because he was in arrears. He's never looked back. 25%of what he topped up with came off the arrears. It taught him and his family the value of electricity. He'd only top up by 5 or 10 euro some times to see how long it will last. To see how it costs to heat up the hot water cylinder etc.
    My friend got his meter for free and is on a good rate. You need to be careful how much they will charge you per unit. Some companies charge you a standing charge so even if you use no electricity your credit runs down.
    If you aren't paying anything extra for the privilege of having one of these meters I think they are a great idea. One less bill per month is music to my ears

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Thanks for the reply sleeper 12. One less bill per month was just my thinking, I was just enquiring with them and was told there is a daily service charge of 29 cent per day but there is a bonus credit for choosing this option whatever that is. I was given a number to contact them on so will try and contact them next week. No replies back about them being trouble so hopefully no more cringing when the envelope comes through the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If the install is done as part of an arrears payment program then the install is free, not free otherwise.
    In neither case is the uninstall of a PAYG free, the costs are pretty high: maybe 700 euros

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thanks, I wasn't told that when I enquired about getting one installed. I have no arrears owing to them so this is good to know because I was planning on giving them a call tomorrow so will be asking them about this then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi all,

We would like to provide further information regarding Electric Ireland Pay As You Go (PAYG) electricity:

There is no upfront charge to install an Electric Ireland PAYG electricity meter, and there is no removal charge for any Electric Ireland PAYG electricity meter.

The Electric Ireland PAYG electricity meter which is available to any customer (either new or existing) is called the Smarter PAYG meter. This meter has a daily charge of 29 cent, which is automatically applied to the meter balance and cleared via top-up. This meter is not generally for customers who have a balance they wish to manage via PAYG.

Customers who register for Electric Ireland Smarter PAYG receive a bonus credit for choosing this option. The bonus credit is applied to their meter as a pre payment. For further information, contact the Sales PAYG team on 1850 30 50 95.

The other type of PAYG meter is for customers who have a balance due. This meter is organised through Customer Service or Credit Control.

All electricity providers charge a standing charge (this is made payable to ESB Networks for maintenance of the infrastructure). The standing charge varies, as it depends on whether the customer is rural based or urban based, and whether the ESB meter at the premises has a day/night tariff (also known as NightSaver) or is a 24-hour meter (same rate at all times).

The above applies to any customer, whether billing or with any type of PAYG meter.

For all electricity customers, whether billing or PAYG, the unit rate depends on whether the customer has a 24-hour or NightSaver ESB meter (the unit rate is not affected by whether the customer is urban based or rural based).

If you have any further queries, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Thanks Una, just arranged to get mine installed next week. Was told all the same by customer services today as you stated in your post and more than happy with the bonus credit too. Hopefully that's the end of the dreaded two monthly bill. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi malinheader,

You are very welcome - we're happy to advise.

Thank you for choosing PAYG with Electric Ireland.

Best regards,
    Una

Advertisement