Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Keepers

• 19-05-2017 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

This is being called the next "Making a Murderer".

All 7 episodes up on-line from today.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Was going to start watching this today but after watching Three Girls over the last few night I'm done with harrowing true stories for a while.

Put on my list for a future date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

I watched 2 episodes last night-Interesting first episode but episode 2 was horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I watched 2 episodes also, wasn't not expecting that 2nd episode at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

Just finished watching it, well worth the binge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

Just finished watching it, well worth the binge!!

• Advertisement

Turned off after the 3rd one.. hard going... shud I finish it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I watched this without reading about it or seeing a trailer, it just caught my eye on Netflix. When I clicked on it I wasn't even sure if it was a documentary or drama because the description sounded like it was straight out of a fiction.

After watching it through I think it's an incredible story, well told and in a very even-handed way. It was frustrating to watch and the subject matter is, of course, enraging. The high possibility that some of the contributors being interviewed could have been involved in Cathy's murder added to that sense of discomfort.

For those finding it difficult, episodes 2 and 3 are the most upsetting to watch. 2, in particular shocked me to the verge of tears at times.

I can't overstate how much I admire the two women heading up the facebook page and trudging along with red tape in a bid to get justice. They're fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That is the best documentary Netflix have made for me.

Those two women who kept the fight for answers going are amazing.

Sister Cathy really must have been a truly amazing human being that she inspired those women to spend their lives trying to keep her memory alive while trying to bring her justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That is the best documentary Netflix have made for me.

Those two women who kept the fight for answers going are amazing.

Sister Cathy really must have been a truly amazing human being that she inspired those women to spend their lives trying to keeper he memory alive while trying to bring her justice.
    I have watched the first two only, it is absolutely excellent so far.
    If anyone hasn't watched it I also really highly recommend shadow of truth it even better IMO and only 4 episodes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Does anyone know how to leave the Catholic Church ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Am on episode 4 now. So angry at that Sharon May. What a lying cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

steo_magra wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to leave the Catholic Church ?
    I didn't think you can....but it seems I was wrong...
    https://www.catholicdoors.com/faq/qu286.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Finished episode 6 last night............not sure if this is a spoiler but
    the scene of the nun mannequin in the attic, I didn't think i'd sleep last nigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

gmisk wrote: »
    I didn't think you can....but it seems I was wrong...
    https://www.catholicdoors.com/faq/qu286.htm

I believe they changed the rules a number of years ago and now there's no way to formally leave. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Finished it today and don't know if i can say i "enjoyed" it but it was excellent. The way they ended each episode made it just right for the just one more action.

Its harrowing but i'm not surprised at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Would love to see a documentary of this standard be made about any of the strange murders/disappearances in Ireland. Mary Boyle could make a great subject if the stories about cover ups and political influence in that case are to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Crazy maddening stuff :mad::mad: never wanted to punch someone with glasses so much

Finished it today:
    Can't help but feel they really dropped the ball with the Edgar interview. They allowed him to deny involvement with a poorly structured interrogation. Wish they had used an expert that could've coaxed information out of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

I've started watching this and just finished Episode 2. It's tough to watch. There are no words for Maskell :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Harrowing, but very well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Wow, what a harrowing but compelling watch.
    the catholic church can live with itself I don't know. Any other organization would have been disbanded by now yet they still feel they have some moral authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just finished this. I thought it was done very well and a fascinating case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I have watched 2 episodes - Jesus it's harrowing but good these c*nts and the RCC are being exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Am on episode 4 now. So angry at that Sharon May. What a lying cow.

She really infuriated me as well. You could see the lies spilling out of her mouth. No conscience at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm four episodes in. It's harrowing viewing and all and I don't doubt the Church capable of just about anything, but I'm still waiting for the smoking gun bit of evidence that makes me fully believe that absolutely every part of this huge conspiracy took place.

It's possible, maybe even probable, but I still think the show - so far - has not been thorough enough in putting forward rock solid facts to support every claim. I'm not trying to defend the Catholic Church here or allege that these women are simply making stuff up, but I do wonder how much hard evidence do they have that links a murder to an alleged pedophile ring.

I think Sharon Mays made some legitimate sense to be honest, as much as I wanted to believe that she was some paid off liar. Plus she stood by what she had to say, the person who cast doubt on her is anonymous source.

I still have three episodes to watch, so I haven't fully formed my final verdict, but so far I don't think matters are open and shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Maskell came in contact with many teenagers after being packed off to Ireland. Not really followed up in the documentary series.

One of those victims, Teresa Lancaster - who's now an attorney helping those who have experienced sexual abuse - says she has heard that there are Irish victims. "We do have word that there are two victims coming forward in Ireland," she said, in an interview with an Irish newspaper.

Questions will be asked about how a man who was subject to such a serious investigation in the US could be given garda clearance to work in an environment where he would have access to teenagers.

John Cooney, the former head of the South-Eastern Health Board, says it is almost certain that not only would Maskell have counselled young people ,but he would also have dealt with those who were victims of sexual abuse. "Children were referred to him for counselling," he said at the weekend. "He wouldn't have much access to adult patients when he was working for us, it was mainly the child welfare service."

The Wexford People's Maria Pepper tracked down one woman whose child had been psychologically assessed by Maskell. "Our daughter was eight years old at the time and saw him through the South-Eastern Health Board," she told the newspaper. "We were shocked to hear all these allegations about him. We can't believe it. He was a lovely man to deal with. It just goes to show that the bad guys can wear the mask of the good guys.

"We didn't know he was a priest until after the assessment when someone told us. He signed his report A Joseph Maskell, Clinical Psychologist."

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/on-the-dark-trail-of-fr-joseph-maskell-subject-of-the-keepers-documentary-who-fled-us-amid-child-abuse-allegations-35804872.html?google_editors_picks=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It's a 2 hour documentary stretched out to 7 hour long episodes. The first episode is by far the best, the second is good too but then it goes nowhere. Lots of accusations thrown around, with absolutely zero solid evidence to back it up. By the end the makers are accusing some senile old man of murdering the nun. I was bored to tears by episode 4 but wanted to see how it would end and it just fizzled out (with sentimental music playing all through the episodes of course). Is the Catholic Church guilty of covering up child sex abuse? Of course they are. Is there any evidence Sister Cathy was murdered to stop her speaking out about the sex abuse going on at the school she was teaching at? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

It's a 2 hour documentary stretched out to 7 hour long episodes. The first episode is by far the best, the second is good too but then it goes nowhere. Lots of accusations thrown around, with absolutely zero solid evidence to back it up. By the end the makers are accusing some senile old man of murdering the nun. I was bored to tears by episode 4 but wanted to see how it would end and it just fizzled out (with sentimental music playing all through the episodes of course). Is the Catholic Church guilty of covering up child sex abuse? Of course they are. Is there any evidence Sister Cathy was murdered to stop her speaking out about the sex abuse going on at the school she was teaching at? No.

Exactly.
    This is an incredibly overrated series. After the second episode you don't find out anything new in regards to the main narrative of the story. By that I mean actual facts, not rumours and innuendo which seems to make up the remainder of the series. It seems that just because the series is about the Catholic Church and child abuse that it isn't allowed to be negatively reviewed. This is not a good series. It is heavy handed and there is so much fat on it that is should come with a dietary warning.
    Without doubt, this story could have been covered in one of those hour long Discovery Channel crime shows.
    Also, there is no resolution to the story. All we get is a bunch of theories at the end as if it is some kind of whodunit soap storyline.
    And the makers go out of their way to show us that the Baltimore Police are the villains of the story. One of the ladies who was molested is now a lawyer and represents black youths who are harassed by the police. I mean they dedicate a whole little section to her talking about this. They do it to pad out their paper thin story and also to push their corruption narrative.
    I got the feeling that the makers of this series had pressure put on them to make this a ten part series like Making a Murderer, and at some point they realised "oh crap. There is no way we can stretch this to ten episodes. Let's just pad it out and we might get six or seven episodes out of it."

Sure, it is horrible what happened to these people, but this series is very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

If you want to hear some analysis on the series listen to the podcast Real Crime Profile. They have a podcast discussing each episode and discussing the opinions of exFBI analysts. Well worth a listen.

Advertisement