Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get photos off old laptop?

Options
  • 19-05-2017 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi I hope someone can help. I got a new laptop over a year ago but there are photos on my old laptop that I would really like to get back. The reason I got a new laptop is because while the old one would turn on and you could hear it running in the background, the screen was completely blank. I tried everything and was advised the new windows 10 update had an impact? Not sure. Anyway does anyone know how to get the old photos off the old laptop? Is there an external harddrive thing I can get/do? Im not very tech savvy so all guidance appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

SBM111 wrote: »
    Hi I hope someone can help. I got a new laptop over a year ago but there are photos on my old laptop that I would really like to get back. The reason I got a new laptop is because while the old one would turn on and you could hear it running in the background, the screen was completely blank. I tried everything and was advised the new windows 10 update had an impact? Not sure. Anyway does anyone know how to get the old photos off the old laptop? Is there an external harddrive thing I can get/do? Im not very tech savvy so all guidance appreciated.

2.5" sata hard drive enclosure will most likely do the job. You can get them from Amazon or eBay for less than €10.

Sounds like possibly dead ram in the old laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skintiam

I had to do the same before, you can get what you need to do it on ebay for less than a tenner, look for a "sata to usb converter cable for hard drive, think the laptop hard drives are 2.5" and pc's are 3.5". Once you have one you take the hard drive out of the old laptop and attach to adaptor and plug into the usb port of your new laptop, then look in file explorer, find what you're looking for and save to new laptop, I can't remember exactly because it was a few years ago but that's the general gist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Jeez - they've doubled the price of those bays in the last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

SBM111 wrote: »

Yes but don't buy from there if you can wait at all. You might even find them along adverts.ie. The most you should pay is a tenner for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Yes but don't buy from there if you can wait at all. You might even find them along adverts.ie. The most you should pay is a tenner for one.

Possible that the screen on the laptop could just be gone? Try hooking up to external monitor or TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SBM111

mordeith wrote: »
    Possible that the screen on the laptop could just be gone? Try hooking up to external monitor or TV.

Never occurred to me thank you I'll try and let you know

Advertisement