Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charity collectors asking for banking details...

• 19-05-2017 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭

Lately there seems to be a worrying new trend where people will call round door to door for charity collections. But instead of asking for cash donations, they expect you to enter your banking details on their iPads or even just their paper notepads! Had a young girl call round this evening again.

Are these legit? And even if they are, I'm not handing out banking details to unsolicited callers - security and all that.
    How can one deter these people from coming round?? Is there some sort of 'no contact' list I can sign up to that would mean they're not allowed to call round unsolicited to anyone on that list? Many countries do this to deter telemarketers and this kind of charity guilt-tripping (its harder to say no to someone in person without seeming rude...)

Its a worrying trend, as there is no way to validate that the person is legit. And so many people are happy to hand over their banking details to anyone with a convincing story, legit or not.... Nevermind that the frequent interruptions are annoying as heck when I'm not long home after a stressful day at work, and all I want is to relax.

If they want donations that badly, set up a dedicated collections page that people can choose to donate to, and stick a flyer through the door...

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

AngelaRI wrote: »
    If they want donations that badly, set up a dedicated collections page that people can choose to donate to, and stick a flyer through the door...

That tends not to work as well because:
    its harder to say no to someone in person without seeming rude...
    :D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

ignore them all. Even though some may be genuine, there are some who are not. The sooner people stop being cajoled into supporting door to door collectors, the sooner they will give up this annoying practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

AngelaRI wrote: »
    How can one deter these people from coming round??

Put a sign on your door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Place a sign stating no cold callers... Those still alive will be shot again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Place a sign stating no cold callers... Those still alive will be shot again.

LOL!
    Was thinking of a sign, might not go quite this far, but thanks for the laugh!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Cerco

I don't have any problem saying no, politely of course.
    I doubt signs will deter the eager ones.
    I have some pity for the younger ones trying to make a little money but I would never sign up for anything on the doorstep.
    A firm and polite no works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ring video doorbell. Dont have to get up from the couch to tell them to jog on.

Advertisement