Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for schools

Options
  • 19-05-2017 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi, I've a 7 month old daughter. A lot of people are telling me to get her registered for schools. Can I just ask are people registering for just primary schools or primary and secondary?
    Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

It depends on where you live. I live in Dublin and registered my kid for primary when he was 5 months old.

The secondary schools in the area won't take names until the child reaches 5th class

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭chooey

Ok I'll have to have a look at the schools. I'm in Dublin also . Thanks for that

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ring any schools of interest and ask them for an enrollment form and copy of their enrollment policy. For some schools it may be too late already depending on the criteria eg siblings 1st then 1st come 1st served.
    Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

Our chosen secondary school is in high demand. They take names from birth, but put them on list B. If your child is lucky enough to get into one of the primary schools that feeds into the secondary, you contact the school as soon as the child starts in the feeder primary and the child's name is moved to list A. This school is in Dublin.

Definitely check out each schools policies though as they all differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

For some you need the names down ASAP. I know some schools you can't apply until a child is two or year before school entry.
    For secondary it is the same. Our first choice takes names from the day the child starts primary school, but the second choice takes applications in sixth class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭chooey

Thanks so much for your help. I have forms on their way out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wardling

chooey wrote:
    Hi, I've a 7 month old daughter. A lot of people are telling me to get her registered for schools. Can I just ask are people registering for just primary schools or primary and secondary? Thanks for your help

I'm in Dublin also. As we are looking to enrol our little one in a local gealscoil we registered him immediately after picking up his birth cert. 3 weeks old at the time I think. Due a registration letter and form in the post in 2020 to attend the interview.

Over kill I reckon registering so early but this school would be our ideal choice, location wise and being the only local gealscoil also.

Advertisement