Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency tax

Options
  • 20-05-2017 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all looking for help on emergency tax. I was getting taxed normal in my job since start of year, then 10 weeks ago I got emergency taxed out of no where. Next day I rang tax office and they said am working two jobs, which am not. I said there must be a mistake and after looking into it further they said I work in a hotel in Cork and my own employer which is in donegal. They recognised this was a mistake by them something to so with a dude having same name as me so they got confused. So was sorted quickly and following week I was back to normal but I still haven't received back my emergency tax. I have a feeling my employer Is holding me out in this (there cowboys) I been on the phone to tax office four times and they said that they sent my amended tax credit certificate to myself and employer. I have received mines and I assume that my employer has received there's because am being tax as normal. It's been over 10 weeks. Is my employer holding me out ? Everytime I pull them on this he says that he hasn't received nothing but I told him obviously he has if am being taxed correctly again. Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks Caolan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Do you get a payslip out of interest? Is payroll handled in-house or do they contract someone to do it?

You have the amended cert so you could bring it into work and personally give it to your employer. He won't be able to deny ever getting it if you hand it to him, obviously take a copy.

10 weeks is crazy though, no way it should possibly take this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Caolan1991

Yes I get payslips, my tax code is (w) on payslip which means am on a week 1 month 1 basis. I know that means they are not entitled to pay back tax when that's the circumstances but it doesn't state on my tax credit cert that I should be week 1 month 1. I believe he is holding me out on this and just playing simple as he did with another work colleague of mines who had to wait 4 months before he got over 3000 euro emergency tax back of them. I think he is in some financial difficulties as they always mess around with wages (getting paid late, or always paying someone cash instead of been in bank like supposed to be) would it be up to his accounting to change my tax code to normal like it's suppose to be on my tax credit certificate? Thanks for reply I am using this new account now as I had difficulty with other

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

OP can you speak directly to whoever does the payroll? If you have a copy of your tax cert bring it to them and tell them you should be on the cumulative basis, not W1. Your employer isn't losing out by having to pay you a tax refund, as it reduces their tax liability in turn. But if they're having cash flow issues then it could be a reason why they're trying to get away with putting you on W1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Caolan1991

No I think it's has daughter that deals with the payroll. I work as a sub contract cleaner in a factory so I only ever meet the boss. I will bring in my tax cert tomorrow to him, I do believe he is in financial difficulties tho because he just told us on Friday that for next 12 weeks we will get paid cash instead via bank (he made us some excuse about the banks system being down. He always lies) and also it was only last week that he paid an employee 3000 euro back in emergency tax so I think this has played part not to mention all the factory's he had in the uk he lost his contract due to bankruptcy last year (he only managed to keep two factory's which are in ireland). The company name his changed 3 times from last year I assume to avoid paying tax or something. The list goes on there just a bunch of cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

You should probably be careful that you aren't identified by your employer on here as you appear to have given away your full name and age between your two usernames.

• Advertisement
Advertisement