Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telling work and first booking appointment

Options
  • 20-05-2017 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all

I have my first booking appointment next week, semi-private in Holles St, has anyone gone semi private there before? What I really want to know is whether I will get a scan at the booking appointment? It seems that a midwife handles the appointment, so does that mean no?

Also when are people telling work. I thought that 12 weeks was the standard time, but looking into it there is also a suggestion that 14 weeks is the way to go.

First pregnancy and surprised at the lack of (or conflicting) information there is on so many pregnancy topics. Head is spinning with it all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 inatissy

Congratulations Skullsocks.
    I just waited till I got the scan which happened to be 13 weeks. With the coombe and my booking appointment was with the midwife and then had the scan the following week. Held off giving in note from the midwife till the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Skullsocks I haven't been semi p but did ring up about it. You get a scan and see a midwife in holles st.
    At 16 weeks you see your consultant :)

Tbh I didn't tell work colleagues until after my 12 week appointment. I first saw my consultant at 8 weeks.
    A lot guessed though as had been so sick!!
    I told my boss though at about 6 weeks as I had to for sick leave :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

My booking appt in Holles street was with a midwife, and wasn't in the main hospital. I was a public patient and didn't get a scan. Our first scan with Holles st with the anatomy scan at 22 weeks.
    If they don't give you a scan, I would probably go privately for one before telling everybody.

Skull socks you can ring them to clarify but they they told me you defo do get a scan and it's in semi p clinic not in public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 skullsocks

Thanks everyone for the replies. Turns out I do get a scan :D I'll see how things go with the appointment and then decide on telling work.

• Advertisement

skullsocks wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Turns out I do get a scan :D I'll see how things go with the appointment and then decide on telling work.

Make sure to get a slip saying "ante natal" and give to work.
    You are entitled to go to ante natal appointments as a separate leave!
    My work don't accept appointment letter (I don't get letters anyway only texts!).
    My work said they need proof you were actually there!!
    Best of luck at appointment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My first pregnancy I didn't tell work till 20 weeks, I just took the first app as a day off. For me it was easier and lovely to keep that secret. Second time I let them know at 10 weeks but that was due to different role and cover needed

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had 2 semi private in Holles St and I had a scan at both booking appointments.
    I had all my appointments with the consultant except for the initial chat and bloods but then saw him after.
    I was 24 weeks pregnant before I told work with the 1st.

Advertisement