Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why drive mobile customers away with very poor EU data roaming plans?

Options
  • 20-05-2017 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi,

After many years of being an Eircom/Eir mobile customer, I'm leaving because of your stingy 1GB data roaming policy.  Just wanted to know why on earth you wouldn't be as generous as some of your competitors ?

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Hi,

After many years of being an Eircom/Eir mobile customer, I'm leaving because of your stingy 1GB data roaming policy.  Just wanted to know why on earth you wouldn't be as generous as some of your competitors ?

Chris
    June 15th this will be minimum 3Gb or so. Could be more depending on your plan, or it could be use of all your inclusive Data. We have to wait and see.

1GB is on their terms, this isn't any EU directive or anything like that. Not sure of any other network in Ireland currently offering 1GB of free EU roaming in europe before June 15th?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

We signed up to a vodafone Red Plan @€;60 pm (company plan) and it gives unlimited roaming.

Masala wrote: »
    We signed up to a vodafone Red Plan @€;60 pm (company plan) and it gives unlimited roaming.
    IN fairness, that is some serious offer for anyone. I am tempted myself as I can get corporate with Vodafone and for 62 a month and the traveling I do - becoming a no brainier. it's 30GB of data now also!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

I am €30 a month on an Eir corporate with 15gb data and 1gb roaming. I don't travel enough to pay an extra €30 for unlimited like my colleague - so I probably stick with Eir.

However.....1gb for corporate accounts is crap and could lose them some serious business if they don't look at it

Masala wrote: »
    I am €30 a month on an Eir corporate with 15gb data and 1gb roaming. I don't travel enough to pay an extra €30 for unlimited like my colleague - so I probably stick with Eir.

However.....1gb for corporate accounts is crap and could lose them some serious business if they don't look at it
    Isn't that 1GB worldwide? Not just EU though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

It would be nice to get a definitive answer from Eir - are we going to have more than 1GB roaming data in the EU from June 15th or not?  I'm going to move to Vodafone or ID, both of whom are providing multiple of this stingy 1GB,

It would be nice to get a definitive answer from Eir - are we going to have more than 1GB roaming data in the EU from June 15th or not?  I'm going to move to Vodafone or ID, both of whom are providing multiple of this stingy 1GB,
    From the various information here on the boards it seems that it depends on how much you pay for your plan and what you get included. So if you have around 20euro a month then you should be getting minimum around 3.3GB. I reckon Eir and the last remaining networks are just deciding whether to go down that route at a bare minimum or, go the Vodafone route and offer complete like home for Data also.

Thanks Flexcon, my plan is an older "Select Unlimited SIM Only" at €26 but I'd be willing to switch to a newer plan if I knew that we would be getting at least 5GB when roaming - that's a comfortable amount for a few weeks holiday.  

Thanks Flexcon, my plan is an older "Select Unlimited SIM Only" at €26 but I'd be willing to switch to a newer plan if I knew that we would be getting at least 5GB when roaming - that's a comfortable amount for a few weeks holiday.  
    With that you are almost certain looking at 3.3GB or so. Let's wait and see, be great if they came out and said use your data at home like Vodafone. Problem is - Vodafone seems to have investments and great partners in Europe so won't hit their pocket as hard you would imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi ChrisMcCauley,

Thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry you feel this way.

As of June 15th, all EU roaming will be inclusive to your plan as per new legislation.

All of our customers will be notified of all roaming allowances on their plans in the next few weeks.

Until then, I'm afraid I would not have anymore information from here.

I do apologise for any inconvenience caused to you.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Advertisement

Hopefully Eir gets its act together quickly.  It would be a pity to have to leave.

You will be notified shortly in regards to this.

-Anna

Thanks Anna, what form will the notification take - SMS. letter ?

You should receive this via SMS.

Thanks,
    Anna

Got this SMS yesterday 

"Great news! From 15th June you can bring your call, text and data allowances  with you while roaming in the EU. If you exceed your allowances you will pay the same as you would at home. For more info see www.eir.ie/billpay-eu1. Happy travels, from eir."

Which sounds great - my full data allowance is available to me.  One possible issue though is that the link could be misleading.  At one point it says: 

" Data: If you have a data allowance at home you can use this data while you roam in the EU. Please make sure to check what you have available at the time of roaming. You can do this by following the instructions in the text we’ll send you when you arrive at your EU destination."

Which again suggests that you can use the full remaining amount of data (up to 15GB in my case) without further charge.  However further down it says 

"From June 15th, existing voice, text and data roaming bundles will end and will be replaced by roam like at home, which allows customers to use their allowances domestically or while roaming within the EU (subject to Fair Use Policies set out in EU Roaming Regulations). This is in line with EU Roaming Regulation requirements"

That bit about "subject to Fair Use Policies" may actually mean that you do not get your full allowance so cannot really roam like at home.  So which is it?  Do I get the remaining balance of my 15GB from 15th June to the end of the cycle or do I get less?

Hi ChrisMcCauley,

Thanks for getting in touch.

In regards to your data allowance whilst roaming you can access 6.3GB of your 15GB allowance due to Fair Usage Policies.

I'm afraid all data is capped depending on your inclusive data allowanFairs fair Usage Policies do apply.

Thanks,
    Anna

Thanks Anna,

You must be sick of answering questions like these but the root cause is the poor marketing communications from Eir - late and (deliberately?) misleading in the case of EU roaming.  

Chris

I am very sorry you feel this way and I will relay your feedback to the relevant department.

Thanks,
    Anna

Advertisement