Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW XII - Simpsons Mafia

Options
1155156157158159161»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

quickbeam wrote: »
    Disagree. I think you needed to lock it at the time, sort out the current problem and move on - expertly done in the end.

If you'd left it open who knows what other dramas might have occured and you'd have been left trying to deal with the original problem, while also monitoring the thread to see if any other problems would arise. Not what you needed at the time.

You said it yourself in the back room, you couldn't believe we went through 2 pages on the Discussion Thread while the game thread was locked, and that was just sh!te talk. Imagine how many we'd have got through if we were actually to talk about the game.

I think you both did a very fine job with the decisions you made!!

I was glad for the locked thread. I was 1.5 - 2 hours behind all day and reading as fast as I could. NEVER would have caught up without the thread lock!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Ta QB, appreciate it! I put some tips in the mod help thread earlier, but I noticed you said you spend the same amount of time modding as playing! :eek: So do you give your life over to the game while playing or what? I was taken aback by how much time and commitment was required to mod!
    I Defo didnt anticipate the time requirement for modding before doing it. Also I cant imagine how one could mod solely. Having a good wingman or wingwoman is crucial if you ask me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Ta QB, appreciate it! I put some tips in the mod help thread earlier, but I noticed you said you spend the same amount of time modding as playing! :eek: So do you give your life over to the game while playing or what? I was taken aback by how much time and commitment was required to mod!

Yeah, I do sorta :) For the first few games I was working but in a very quiet job so I spent most of my day following the games while "working" - Boards also wasn't blocked at work which helped as I didn't have to rely on my phone or my own data.

The next few I was unemployed for. I missed Tig & Mick's game because I was working and it was a different type of job where I just couldn't get on during the day and I figured I'd be lost at night if I tried to catch up then (even from the DR, I fell too far behind from Wednesday).

For this latest game I'm unemployed again. I really didn't think modding took any more time than playing. In playing you've only one or two forums to read (two if you've a back room too). But with modding you've to read all the forums, which took time. But on the other hand, you didn't have to really think too much as a mod about strategy or "what's he hinting at by that post?" kind of thing, so you could just get on with it and enjoy it. I did always have loads of tabs open - one for the game, one for the WWGM account in case I received PMs, one for all the back rooms, one for the DR - but once they were all open it was easy to flick between each to see what new posts there were.

The really busy times were munch and lynch as there were so many messages to get out - the death notice on the game forum, the voting results, notify the priest of the dead peson's role, changing the access of the newly dead so they couldn't access their back rooms but could access the DR, answering seer peek requests, etc. But other than those two times of day I really didn't find it too bad at all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ta QB, appreciate it! I put some tips in the mod help thread earlier, but I noticed you said you spend the same amount of time modding as playing! So do you give your life over to the game while playing or what? I was taken aback by how much time and commitment was required to mod!

Well for me, I set aside the week to play the game and monitor the thread for everything. That might slightly show in my post count:P

I can only imagine how much more difficult it is to mod, with so many moving parts!!!!

Once again, fair play to ye for running a brilliant game.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

sKeith wrote: »
    I was glad for the locked thread. I was 1.5 - 2 hours behind all day and reading as fast as I could. NEVER would have caught up without the thread lock!

Is that when you came up with your master plan to act drunk in the middle of the night? :P

• Advertisement

nah, i didn't think of that plan until i got home, studied the current situation and had a few drinks of the confidence elixir ;)

so shocked when we still double tapped the cop. was i not convincing enough? ah well. i'll review and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

quickbeam wrote: »
    Yeah, I do sorta :) For the first few games I was working but in a very quiet job so I spent most of my day following the games while "working" - Boards also wasn't blocked at work which helped as I didn't have to rely on my phone or my own data.

The next few I was unemployed for. I missed Tig & Mick's game because I was working and it was a different type of job where I just couldn't get on during the day and I figured I'd be lost at night if I tried to catch up then (even from the DR, I fell too far behind from Wednesday).

For this latest game I'm unemployed again. I really didn't think modding took any more time than playing. In playing you've only one or two forums to read (two if you've a back room too). But with modding you've to read all the forums, which took time. But on the other hand, you didn't have to really think too much as a mod about strategy or "what's he hinting at by that post?" kind of thing, so you could just get on with it and enjoy it. I did always have loads of tabs open - one for the game, one for the WWGM account in case I received PMs, one for all the back rooms, one for the DR - but once they were all open it was easy to flick between each to see what new posts there were.

The really busy times were munch and lynch as there were so many messages to get out - the death notice on the game forum, the voting results, notify the priest of the dead peson's role, changing the access of the newly dead so they couldn't access their back rooms but could access the DR, answering seer peek requests, etc. But other than those two times of day I really didn't find it too bad at all.

Fair fücks to you QB is all I'll say! I was lucky enough that I can work from home when needed so I did that on Monday, and I was off on Thursday and Friday, but otherwise I dunno how I'd have managed it. Usually when I'm playing I'll check in on the first day then skim read the thread at lunch or on the bus home. I'd give maybe an hour in the evening trying to catch up before the lynch so I could make an intelligent vote but that'd be about it. On some days I'd have little or no freelance work on so I'd be around after the lynch for a while, but not always. I found keeping up with all the rooms and the main thread to be fierce time consuming, maybe because the post rate was very high for the first 24 hours too.
    For my first game or two I was completely sucked in and spent a crazy amount of time on the game, but since then I've pulled back to a normal amount.

Fair fücks to you too Necro, I saw you mention that you finished all the backrooms too. Great commitment! Could just be that I'm not as dedicated as you lot! :P

sKeith wrote: »
    so shocked when we still double tapped the cop. was i not convincing enough? ah well. i'll review and learn.

Yeah I couldn't believe that you basically said on thread "by the way, I'm evil, Mr. Burns actually, excellent, oh and we're going to munch the cop so please don't do that ok thanks" and despite some initial push back, people seemed to well.. forget about it! :P I think I made a backroom comment that was something like "could sKeith *be* more like Mr. Burns?" :p:p:p Very amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Raze is buying the beers at the next meet-up.

• Advertisement

Raze is buying the beers at the next meet-up.

Savage, can we have em in August when I'm home??
    Virtual beers just ain't the same.

Savage, can we have em in August when I'm home??
    Virtual beers just ain't the same.

Life could have settled down by August.

I'd be on for that. Hopefully good weather so beer garden.

It be interesting,

Gufc would question the licensing laws of the pub

Tigger would get thrown out for Tiggerisms

Raze would buy everyone beer, but it would really be lemonade, hope we wouldnt notice

Mahama would slap anyone calling her geehead.

Skeith would sit in the corner acting all evil

Shatterproof would die before reaching the pub.

Mick would be there until closing time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

It be interesting,

Gufc would question the licensing laws of the pub

Tigger would get thrown out for Tiggerisms

Raze would buy everyone beer, but it would really be lemonade, hope we wouldnt notice

Mahama would slap anyone calling her geehead.

Skeith would sit in the corner acting all evil

Shatterproof would die before reaching the pub.

Mick would be there until closing time

And you'd be the **** that disappears on his round but gets drunk for free

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fair fücks to you too Necro, I saw you mention that you finished all the backrooms too. Great commitment! Could just be that I'm not as dedicated as you lot! :P

Yeah the backrooms were a great read. It's fun seeing people's comments on your own playing style. I'm lucky at the moment because I have a decent amount of free time but that is likely to change in August or September.

Until then I'll definitely have the same level of commitment to the cause.

Yeah I couldn't believe that you basically said on thread "by the way, I'm evil, Mr. Burns actually, excellent, oh and we're going to munch the cop so please don't do that ok thanks" and despite some initial push back, people seemed to well.. forget about it! :P I think I made a backroom comment that was something like "could sKeith *be* more like Mr. Burns?" :p:p:p Very amusing.

After that. i had to get up on the desk and shout twice as loud the second time that i was going for QB. after reading backroom, i don't think they heard me that time either. I did muze that alot of players probably had me on ignore by that stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

If iut helps i was ****ing smashed when i looked to kill off chagan XD drunk us are genius Skeith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Just a quick note on the chronological order of the voting.

Yes, we had the timestamps. No, we didn't publish the votes that way. Maybe we should have but the last vote only counted in the event of a tie break and the judge dead. So it wasn't really necessary, imo.

However, if anyone wanted to see the order of votes, all it would have taken was to ask us. We weren't hiding anything. In fact, we did our utmost to keep things as transparent as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭Guffy

Why would you post chronological order?

The ones up front voted first, the ones at the end voted last, either swapping late or trying for decider vote.

• Advertisement

Although, for this game there was a judge for deciding, but in other games it was last vote.

But late voting is still a tell, especially if they said on tread they voted earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭Guffy

Ya, the order they appear on thread should be random imo. Obviously the voting times serve a purpose to the mods but should be random on thread.

Unless its a game mechanic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

Sorry for hijacking, just making sure poll seen!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057746471#

Sorry for hijacking, just making sure poll seen!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057746471#

Whoop whoop whoop

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Advertisement