Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150e Price Hike from Previous Tenant, Legal?

Options
  • 20-05-2017 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Im about to put a deposit on a place in Shankil, Co.Dublin l, however in a crazy coincedince, it ended up being a friend of mine's apartment, who is moving out.

She is moving out as they put up the rent €150 to €1500 or 11%. Thought there was a 4% limit on how much you could put up rent? Is Shankill in protected areas?

Is this legal for them to do this? It's a 8 year old building in an apartment complex, privately owned but through a letting agency. No improvements being made other than cleaning and a lick of paint.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

You would need to know the date of the last review but it's 2% pa for the first review. 11% would suggest 5 1/2 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Additional Requirement for New Tenancies in Rent Pressure Zone
    In the case of a new tenancy in a rent pressure zone, a landlord is required to furnish the tenant, in writing, with the following information at the commencement of the tenancy:
    (i) The amount of rent that was last set under a tenancy for the dwelling;
    (ii) The date the rent was last set under a tenancy for the dwelling;

(iii) A statement as to how the rent set under the tenancy of the dwelling has been calculated having regard to the rent pressure zone formula.

https://www.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zones/rent-pressure-zones

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    Im about to put a deposit on a place in Shankil, Co.Dublin l, however in a crazy coincedince, it ended up being a friend of mine's apartment, who is moving out.

She is moving out as they put up the rent €150 to €1500 or 11%. Thought there was a 4% limit on how much you could put up rent? Is Shankill in protected areas?

Is this legal for them to do this? It's a 8 year old building in an apartment complex, privately owned but through a letting agency. No improvements being made other than cleaning and a lick of paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Great thanks for that. This might sound a stupid question, but is it better to request all of this before or after a lease is signed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

It says the commencement of the tenancy so I'm not clear is that when the deposit is handed over or the day you move in. Someone else might clarify that.

You are by law entitled to this information so I'd be requesting it. If the landlord refuses it and pulls out of the agreement you could report him but I don't know if there is a mechanism for enforcement of this specific part of the legislation.

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    Great thanks for that. This might sound a stupid question, but is it better to request all of this before or after a lease is signed?

Commencement = start date of lease or takes possession (nothing to do with keys, etc)

The LL can terminate the if no fixed term contract is in place before 6 months with no reason, so it might be prudent to wait 6 months (gain part 4 rights) and then request this information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

11% suggests roughly 3 years, if your friend says they have been in there that long then it sounds about right.

Gandalph wrote: »
    11% suggests roughly 3 years, if your friend says they have been in there that long then it sounds about right.

its 2% pa for the 1st review! (divide by 24 instead of 12)

Advertisement