Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottling cider in plastic?

Options
  • 20-05-2017 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Complete newbie to all this and I'm just brewing my first cider. I''ll hopefully be bottling in a week. Is it ok to use cheap plastic bottles for bottling this?
    Was thinking of picking up couple of the 2L water bottles like these..
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=260487031

I don't plan on keeping them bottled for too long ;) so would these be ok to use once sterilised?

Thanks...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

No. You need bottles for fizzy water. The plastic spec for carbonated and uncarbonated drinks are different. You don't want to want put anything that's going to build up pressure into a bottle that's not designed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you were planning to use them for beer in the future I would be looking for brown bottles. If you are going to drink the fizzy water and value it then no harm.

Tesco cider comes in 2L brown bottles and tastes OK. I prefer aldis cider but I think it comes in a slightly lighter brown colour bottle. Sunlight can effect beer badly, I think it can have an effect on cider but not nearly as bad. You can of course just keep them in a dark area, and I do like clear bottles to be able to see the yeast better.

Of course the cider costs more and you might need a while to build up a collection.

I had a big black sack of tesco brown ones saved up that I never used, think I threw them out in the end, I was offering them here but had no takers.

Some still water bottles might look identical to the fizzy ones, and sometimes they are. The lids on carbonated ones usually have slits in them, or on the threads on the bottle. This is to allow a slow controlled release of gas. If they do not have these then the moment the lid is free it can pop off like a champagne cork. I remember years back a kia ora bottle lid ricocheted around a room and hit someone.

DSCN5674.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Thats great! Thanks for your help guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement