Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

network security

Options
  • 20-05-2017 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

hi all. im looking to get an alarm fitted. we are renting and the landlord is refusing to install one but we really need it as twice last week we've had people knock on our door to be at the 'wrong house'. was looking online and found network security for €299 with €99 upfront, is it too good to be true? dont want to pay too much as we are renting and eventually the landlord will have it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I believe there is a monthly fee on top of the supply and installation costs with company you mentioned.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I believe that their equipment is locked to their company. So if you want to cancel maintenance and monitoring the system will be useless to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

ok thanks can anyone recommend something not overly expensive that im not tied into monthly payments. i was also thinking is there a need to get all the doors and windows downstairs armed, if they come in the back there going to have to go the hallway where the sensor is to get upstairs anyway, just trying to make this as cheap as possible

If you really want to cheap out and like a little tinkering....

http://projects.privateeyepi.com/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

dorito92 wrote: »
    ok thanks can anyone recommend something not overly expensive that im not tied into monthly payments. i was also thinking is there a need to get all the doors and windows downstairs armed, if they come in the back there going to have to go the hallway where the sensor is to get upstairs anyway, just trying to make this as cheap as possible

Shop around the local companies and get 3 proper quotations after them carrying out a site survey.
    You are not going to get anything installed for a few hundred without there being a few catches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

I have an appointment with one of the reps but when asking them if alarm system is locked in like phonewatch, he said no.

So is that a lie or not?

Is their system locked in?

Thanks

Poncke wrote: »
    I have an appointment with one of the reps but when asking them if alarm system is locked in like phonewatch, he said no.

So is that a lie or not?

Thanks

'Reps' have never been known to lie :o:o

There are honest sales people.

But are you saying this one lied?

Poncke wrote: »

So is that a lie or not?

Thanks

Are we still talking about Network?
    They use a version of Risco system/
    Their wireless system is a closed protocol use by a few companies on the group.
    Their panels with only work with their devices & vice versa.

eg. If I went to take over one of their installations, even though I could unlock the panel, any Risco devices I have would not work.
    Likewise if I tried to swap the panel for ours their devices would not work with the new panel either.
    Would you consider that locked??

Yes, still about Network Security.

Yes, I call that locked in.

I want complete freedom. So I will probably get a HKC system.

Thanks

• Advertisement

HKC
    Siemens Vanderbilt
    Or
    GSD

Would be all good choices.

Advertisement