Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5yr old with fractured wrist

• 20-05-2017 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭

My dd who is nearly 5 fractured her wrist and was treated at the injury unit in ennis. We have now received an appointment for the fracture clinic in Limerick Hospital for next week. A few people have said we'll be all day in Limerick waiting to be seen and why don't we go to Galway clinic as we have insurance.

If I walk into the clinic tomorrow to A&E will they treat her and follow up there until her fracture is healed or will they just refer her onto a fracture clinic again ?

Probably should have gone to galway clinic from the start but Shandoc referred her to the injury unit in Ennis.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Just saw this on the front page so I don't know the units but the fracture clinic she has been referred to are the ones that have her clinical notes from the clinic in Ennis and most importantly, her x-ray information. Getting her referred to the Galway clinic and all information transferred (private clinics do not have access to any scans done in public hospitals without the disc, whereas the scans are on the same software in all HSE units/hospitals) would probably be more hassle than waiting around in a public clinic in the first place. The wait would be more along the lines of 2 hours max than the whole day anyway.

Also I would not advise bringing her to a private A&E on this occasion or any other without ringing ahead to check. Private A&E's in Dublin will not treat children as they do not have paediatric expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Private A&E's in Dublin will not treat children as they do not have paediatric expertise.
    I've been turned away from Galway Clinic with my 5 year old on this basis too. But, if it's any consolation, I fractured my own wrist last year and the only long wait was the initial one in A&E. Once I got referred to the fracture clinic the longest wait I had there was about 45 minutes and that was the case for four or five different appointments. That was the fracture clinic in Merlin Park in Galway but hopefully your daughter will have a similar experience in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

I've been turned away from Galway Clinic with my 5 year old on this basis too. But, if it's any consolation, I fractured my own wrist last year and the only long wait was the initial one in A&E. Once I got referred to the fracture clinic the longest wait I had there was about 45 minutes and that was the case for four or five different appointments. That was the fracture clinic in Merlin Park in Galway but hopefully your daughter will have a similar experience in Limerick.

Thanks for the advice - we'll go to the Limerick fracture clinic and hope we won't be too long waiting to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway -> Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

biko wrote: »
    Galway -> Limerick

What does -> mean ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a arrow. I moved thread from Galway forum to Limerick forum.

Thank you for moving to limerick forum.

Does anyone know how bad the waiting times at the limerick fracture clinic are recently ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭XsApollo

You'll be a few hours in there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

put aside the day for it.

I had the same scenario last year with my then 3 year old.

Was there for a 9.40 appointment in plenty of time and got out of there around 15:00 and then only after kicking up a fuss

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Was there for a 9.40 appointment in plenty of time and got out of there around 15:00 and then only after kicking up a fuss

We'll get there early so -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

I know of a friend who was in there on Monday 22nd May and had an appointment for 9am and was out by 10am.

Her appointment was 9.15am and they were out of there by 10.30 with another appointment for next week so thankfully it was fast enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Fracture clinic is not that bad at all. Been in there twice this month and yes it's busy but not insanely busy. There's a coffee shop beside it and a takeaway coffee helps. I just read kindle or news on the phone. Was waiting an hour today after x Ray so not bad at all. There did seem to be a lot of small girls with casts though! All out playing in the fine weather in the last few weeks and fell I suppose.

Advertisement