Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a first Triathlon Watch

Options
  • 20-05-2017 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been training for my first sprint triathlons since October/November and the time has come to get a proper triathlon compatible watch.

I have the Wahoo cadence and speed sensors which are Ant+ so should talk to any watch I buy. I use a Garmin Forerunner 25 for running at the moment and my HR band is a Wahoo Tickr which should also connect to the watch via Ant+.

I'd like to put the whole lot together and buy a watch along the lines of the Garmin 735xt. It'd need to connect easily to TrainingPeaks too. Thats pretty important.

A friend recommended I run the plan by the experts on the forum here before I buy one. Hope its not too routine a Q!

It'd be great to hear from anyone who's used to using the 735xt now or who'd recommend something else that'd tick all the boxes.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

What do you want the watch to do? If you have a seperate bike computer you could probably get away with one that just does running. If you want it to record your swimming too you would be looking at the 735 or the 910/920xt or the fenix 3 or 5. All comes down to how much you want to spend and what you want it to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Hi all,

I've been training for my first sprint triathlons since October/November and the time has come to get a proper triathlon compatible watch.

I have the Wahoo cadence and speed sensors which are Ant+ so should talk to any watch I buy. I use a Garmin Forerunner 25 for running at the moment and my HR band is a Wahoo Tickr which should also connect to the watch via Ant+.

I'd like to put the whole lot together and buy a watch along the lines of the Garmin 735xt. It'd need to connect easily to TrainingPeaks too. Thats pretty important.

A friend recommended I run the plan by the experts on the forum here before I buy one. Hope its not too routine a Q!

It'd be great to hear from anyone who's used to using the 735xt now or who'd recommend something else that'd tick all the boxes.

Thanks!

I have a Garmin 735xt and have been using Training Peaks with an online coach the last month. I really couldn't recommend this watch more.It has totally transformed my training. It's especially good for being able to upload specific pool, bike and run workouts. Great in open water and inside work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Thanks guys, the cycle computer I have only reflects the iPhone app so I'll need an all in one watch. I think we're looking at the 735xt which ticks the boxes.

With the Wahoo Rflkt bike computer, it just feeds back what the phone is sending it. Whats the best way to see the HR/Speed info on the bike? Just a watch bracket for the handlebar? I don't want to buy another separate computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

panda100 wrote: »
    I have a Garmin 735xt and have been using Training Peaks with an online coach the last month. I really couldn't recommend this watch more.It has totally transformed my training. It's especially good for being able to upload specific pool, bike and run workouts. Great in open water and inside work too.

+1 to this, it's a super watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

735 or the 920/930 are the obvious choices. If not going to ironman anytime soon then 735 looks like it ticks all the boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

You'd get a good price for a second hand 920. No point buying new I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney was selling a 920 here in a thread not long ago if i was to go for a watch you ( OP) seems to want this is the one i would go for .
    it was virutally unused ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Tunney still is selling one.

Some scratches on the plastic on the front but no fogging, good battery. No issues in all its use.

Comes with two velcro wrist straps and charger..

Perfect tri watch. Never used it in anger in a tri but it did get me around that cluster**** that was IM Frankfurt 2014 and my 13.38 waddle there.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Ah thanks guys, I took the advice and ordered a 735 yesterday!

Advertisement