Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Black Whisper- User review?

Options
  • 20-05-2017 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭

Looking into upgrading the turbo to a direct drive and ones like the Neo are way out of budget.
    Will be using this for Trainerroad with VIrtual Power or may transfer the Stages to the winter bike.
    Anyone had or currently have this model that could give review for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone able to offer an opinion on best value for a direct drive trainer?
    Or should I just use my Satori with the Stages transferred when the racing season ends?
    Is a direct drive a waste if cash in my case? (Only have around 300-400 to spend)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I have used direct drive now for a while and much prefer it. Saying that I haven't used some of the newer wheel mounted turbos. I used to have an Elite Muin, it's pretty quiet and gives a realistic enough feel. I used it on trainer road with virtual power and then moved to a power meter. Virtual power estimates were on average around 10watts out on the power meter so nothing too major. Think you can get it for around 400 euro now. I only moved on from it cos I got a good price on a nearly new Kickr.

joey100 wrote: »
    I have used direct drive now for a while and much prefer it. Saying that I haven't used some of the newer wheel mounted turbos. I used to have an Elite Muin, it's pretty quiet and gives a realistic enough feel. I used it on trainer road with virtual power and then moved to a power meter. Virtual power estimates were on average around 10watts out on the power meter so nothing too major. Think you can get it for around 400 euro now. I only moved on from it cos I got a good price on a nearly new Kickr.

Is this the Elite Muin in Halfords for €300?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-turbo-muin-turbo-trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

Sorry to say but if ride feel is important to you nothing beats Kurt Kinetic.

sin_26 wrote: »
    Sorry to say but if ride feel is important to you nothing beats Kurt Kinetic.

A direct drive that is reliable and cost effective is what I'm after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

That's the one alright Dahat. I liked it when I had it, my da has one now and likes it too. I know one or two others who have it too and have found it good. It won't give the automated resistance like some of the smart trainers but is good at what it does.

That's the one alright Dahat. I liked it when I had it, my da has one now and likes it too. I know one or two others who have it too and have found it good. It won't give the automated resistance like some of the smart trainers but is good at what it does.

€300 is about what I'd like to spend. My Stages will give cadence etc so I'll have no need to get the sensor.
    As regards resistance I can use the bike gears for that so that's no problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

dahat wrote: »
    A direct drive that is reliable and cost effective is what I'm after.

In this case Muin might tick your boxes. I was very happy once got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-turbo-muin-turbo-trainer
    . .

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

According to reviews you need to budget for add on Misuro for smart use.

• Advertisement

rtmie wrote: »
    According to reviews you need to budget for add on Misuro for smart use.

My Stages PM will give cadence etc input to Trainerroad as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have that one (actually nearly brought Joey's before this). If you can get axa discount on top, I couldn't find better value.

I had to add the sensor, as I don't have a power meter. But as you do, you wouldn't have too, which brings down the knock on costs.

I don't think I could go back to wheel on now. I've said before on other threads, the TrainerRoad guys on their podcast have said they'd go direct drive over smart wheel on as direct drive has less variables.

I use the muin with TrainerRoad. If anything I find I push a bit harder in the intervals to make sure I'm on target (normally a watt or two above). Depends on the session, but once I was out of "Base" I haven't tended to watch TV, and therefore regret being non smart. But I do swap most of the endurance saturday cycles for an outdoor ride, unless it's really miserable out.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I have that one (actually nearly brought Joey's before this). If you can get axa discount on top, I couldn't find better value.

I had to add the sensor, as I don't have a power meter. But as you do, you wouldn't have too, which brings down the knock on costs.

I don't think I could go back to wheel on now. I've said before on other threads, the TrainerRoad guys on their podcast have said they'd go direct drive over smart wheel on as direct drive has less variables.

I use the muin with TrainerRoad. If anything I find I push a bit harder in the intervals to make sure I'm on target (normally a watt or two above). Depends on the session, but once I was out of "Base" I haven't tended to watch TV, and therefore regret being non smart. But I do swap most of the endurance saturday cycles for an outdoor ride, unless it's really miserable out.

Being non smart isn't a big issue for me as my current one which i used last winter was non smart which i found fine.

Looks like i'm off to Halfords! Do i need the AXA card owner with me if i can find such a person?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Looks like i'm off to Halfords! Do i need the AXA card owner with me if i can find such a person?
    Axa card or axa insurance disc! iirc they're online order, so you have a few days. It's 10% off. They've never checked the name for me - just flash the card or disk.

Macy0161 wrote: »

So I bought this and used it for the first time tonight. As I have a Stages PM I didn't bother getting the extra sensor for speed.etc as TrainerRoad will record that for me but it won't show when I sync with Strava ( not a big deal for me as TR is where I need it).
    While I just had a 40min workout very pleased with it, noise is low without being super quiet. It is a non smart turbo so I'll still need to use gearing as and when required.

Overall if you have a Power meter this is a very cheap way to get a direct drive imo,€270 with the AXA card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Looking at these myself. Any idea what the difference between it and the muin II? Wiggle have that for about the same money but for the life of me I can't tell what the difference is.

Advertisement