Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

tina1040 wrote: »
    When you fly Ireland to London Gatwick (not sure about other uk airports) you go straight to the baggage area and into arrivals. No one asks where you were born. You could be American, African or from Mars.

4 of the last 5 flights I've been on to gatwick have had passport control between getting off the bus and the baggage area. The last one didn't so it might just have been a testing phase for post brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

4 of the last 5 flights I've been on to gatwick have had passport control between getting off the bus and the baggage area. The last one didn't so it might just have been a testing phase for post brexit.

Random Passport checks for ex Ireland flights have been happening at UK airports for a long time so not brexit related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

The guy is a bellend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

Tina - Dublin Airport can perfectly well choose to do it like Heathrow and Gatwick. ( and as can be seen in Connolly Station, Rosslare, and other ports of entry to the ROI ).

Our airports, and associated immigration staff choose not to. You will not find this inconsistent policy written anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

But it wouldn't take 40 minutes in Helsinki, ever - they have invested heavily in infrastructure and have dozens of passport scanners.

The issue,as with many Irish Transport related matters,may have little to do with hardware/software,but a lot to do with our native dislike of implementing plans which get it right,first time.

It is in our pysche to plan and devise stuff,as with the M50 project,much of which may well be outdated by the time it's installed,and then to spend gazillions more on upgrade studies and assorted other consultant-driven elements.

We then tend to be left with a hugely compromised item,satisfying few,if any,of it's original requirements.

Having flown through Dublin Airport on 6 occasions last year,I was able to use the Automated Scanners on only One occasion.

It is now a given that the machines (Cheap one's I take it ?) will be taped off,with the red X being resoutely displayed to those who probably funded the entire installation.

The DAA could well generate an income stream from having photos taken of people using them and selling them along the lines of "I've used the Scanners at Dublin Airport and survived-Kiss Me Quick" hats or badges.

Most worrying however,is the thrust of so many responses to the very obvious problems,as we are constantly reassured that "sure it's not that bad at all".."It's grand as long as you're not a forrener"...."it's ok once you can get to the head of the queue" and assorted other apologia for what,by any standards is poor planning,poor implementation and even greater reluctance to accept responsibility for the current situation.

If the machines cannot be placed into full-time service,sell the damn things,install them in Bray Seafront amusements for the next Air-Spectacular,but do something,rather than gazing into the middle distance whilst waiting for the next Consultants Report.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Has the tender issued for the new scanners yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The issue,as with many Irish Transport related matters,may have little to do with hardware/software,but a lot to do with our native dislike of implementing plans which get it right,first time.

It is in our pysche to plan and devise stuff,as with the M50 project,much of which may well be outdated by the time it's installed,and then to spend gazillions more on upgrade studies and assorted other consultant-driven elements.

We then tend to be left with a hugely compromised item,satisfying few,if any,of it's original requirements.

Having flown through Dublin Airport on 6 occasions last year,I was able to use the Automated Scanners on only One occasion.

It is now a given that the machines (Cheap one's I take it ?) will be taped off,with the red X being resoutely displayed to those who probably funded the entire installation.

The DAA could well generate an income stream from having photos taken of people using them and selling them along the lines of "I've used the Scanners at Dublin Airport and survived-Kiss Me Quick" hats or badges.

Most worrying however,is the thrust of so many responses to the very obvious problems,as we are constantly reassured that "sure it's not that bad at all".."It's grand as long as you're not a forrener"...."it's ok once you can get to the head of the queue" and assorted other apologia for what,by any standards is poor planning,poor implementation and even greater reluctance to accept responsibility for the current situation.

If the machines cannot be placed into full-time service,sell the damn things,install them in Bray Seafront amusements for the next Air-Spectacular,but do something,rather than gazing into the middle distance whilst waiting for the next Consultants Report.

I'll grant you that it is a long thread, but this has already been addressed. Those gates were provided on a pilot scheme and are due to be replaced shortly with permanent ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

I would happily pay a reasonable fee to be processed quicker. Could be a handy revenue stream for the DAA.

It could not be Revenue to daa - they don't operate the controls

• Advertisement

Global Entry or whatever they call it ? Yeah I'd sign up for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,428 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Huge but moving queues today in the hall of hell. How recent are the extra booths to the left?

L1011 wrote: »
    Huge but moving queues today in the hall of hell. How recent are the extra booths to the left?

They are not extra as such - they have been in use since Christmas week 2016 so 6 months approx. They are temporary - there used to be 12 permanent desks but when the pilot Gates went in this slipped back to 10. Then, to allow the building works at the Pier 2 end; 3 desks were decommissioned - 1 booth physically removed altogether and another lane became the staff entry\exit. This meant before the Gates were removed the prospect was 7 desks but the 3 temporary ones were put in to keep it at 10. Since last week there are now 12 again as the Gates are gone.

They are not comfortable at all and are not really designed for what they are being used for.

The Hall really is a building site and has been since last October.

AlekSmart wrote: »

The pilot Gates are gone. Tender for a full solution is complete. Detail of what Gates do will not be disclosed but remember what the primary focus is - control. See the PQ answer referenced earlier in the thread. It also explains who\what is responsible for the apparent congestion in the hall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is there a firm reason why we never got a CTA terminal/area (not that it matters now)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

ED E wrote: »
    Is there a firm reason why we never got a CTA terminal/area (not that it matters now)?

Because authorities here have the power to inspect non Irish/British nationals on CTA flights.

UK would do the same but the problems it would cause are just not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

For what it's worth, I landed tonight at 21:35 and was through passport control in less than sixty seconds.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Having experienced the queues at Lodz airport (coming in and going out) I have to say T1 in Dublin may not be as bad. Nothing like a Polish military man staring between you and your passport for 5 minutes to wake you up :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

tina1040 wrote: »
    When you fly Ireland to London Gatwick (not sure about other uk airports) you go straight to the baggage area and into arrivals. No one asks where you were born. You could be American, African or from Mars.

Interestingly enough if you did happen to be from Mars you would not need a visa to enter the UK because you would not be on the list of countries who's citizens require a visa. (Not yet anyway)

The Republic of the Maldives citizens do not need a visa to enter the UK, perhaps because there are so few of them and Mars citizens would probably qualify for the same reason.

Nomis21 wrote: »
    Interestingly enough if you did happen to be from Mars you would not need a visa to enter the UK because you would not be on the list of countries who's citizens require a visa. (Not yet anyway)

The Republic of the Maldives citizens do not need a visa to enter the UK, perhaps because there are so few of them and Mars citizens would probably qualify for the same reason.

I would say tonight about half eleven will be hectic. Daa website showing 7 flights with delays that will add them to those landing between 23:20 and 23:35 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

I think we better get used to longer queues, the way the world is these days. Dublin is just one example of long queues. I went through Schipol with small babies a few weeks back and it took over an hour, trying to hold wriggly babies who were over-tired and fed up being handled. Even those using the automatic scanners were being called forward to processing booths. TBH, it's put me right off flying, and next time we go on holidays, it'll be on the ferry to France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

screamer wrote: »
    I think we better get used to longer queues, the way the world is these days. Dublin is just one example of long queues. I went through Schipol with small babies a few weeks back and it took over an hour, trying to hold wriggly babies who were over-tired and fed up being handled. Even those using the automatic scanners were being called forward to processing booths. TBH, it's put me right off flying, and next time we go on holidays, it'll be on the ferry to France.

1 hour in a queue v 22 hours on a boat? I'd take my queuing chances...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

1 hour in a queue v 22 hours on a boat? I'd take my queuing chances...

1 hour holding an upset baby in a confined space with hundreads of other pissed of people is worth about 40hours on a nice comfortable ferry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭boccy23

To be fair, sitting in your own car is a lot nicer than standing in a hall with hundreds if not thousands or tired, upset, angry passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

1 hour holding an upset baby in a confined space with hundreads of other pissed of people is worth about 40hours on a nice comfortable ferry

As long as it was a good sailing.

In the spirit of balance I came through T1 off a Ryanair at about 3pm yesterday . Less than 30 secs queuing so well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I have used Irish Ferries, Dublin to Holyhead on 5 seperate occasions in the last 12 months. Apart from one random and exceptionally brief UK Customs check in Holyhead, neither my passenger nor myself have been asked to produce any form of I.D on either side of the crossing by any of the authorities.
    This is in complete contrast to flying, where I have be requested to produce I.D on each and every flight over the same time period, with all return flights been through T1.

Advertisement