Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I have used Irish Ferries, Dublin to Holyhead on 5 occasions in the last 12 months. Apart from one random customs check, I or my passenger have never asked to produce any form of I.D.

And your point in relation to long passport control queues at Terminal 1 is?

The fact that the UK authorities choose to implement a different control system to that which is in place in Ireland is more than very close to being off topic.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

boccy23 wrote: »
    To be fair, sitting in your own car is a lot nicer than standing in a hall with hundreds if not thousands or tired, upset, angry passengers.

Even nicer in a Camper. ;) with T.V, bed, jacks, comfy seats, a near endless supply of tea, in your own lovely and warm surroundings :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

And your point in relation to long passport control queues at Terminal 1 is?

The fact that the UK authorities choose to implement a different control system to that which is in place in Ireland is more than very close to being off topic.

My point is, that I am responding to a number of comments made by other members in relation to the topic. Along with relaying my own personal experiences of T1 in comparasion to travelling by ferry. Contrasting how rigorous the checks are for air travel in comparasion to the almost complete absence of officialdom on both sides of the Irish Sea when travelling by ferry.
    boccy23 wrote: »
    To be fair, sitting in your own car is a lot nicer than standing in a hall with hundreds if not thousands or tired, upset, angry passengers.
    As long as it was a good sailing.
    1 hour in a queue v 22 hours on a boat? I'd take my queuing chances...
    This post has been deleted.
    1 hour holding an upset baby in a confined space with hundreads of other pissed of people is worth about 40hours on a nice comfortable ferry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I have used Irish Ferries, Dublin to Holyhead on 5 seperate occasions in the last 12 months. Apart from one random and exceptionally brief UK Customs check in Holyhead, neither my passenger nor myself have been asked to produce any form of I.D on either side of the crossing by any of the authorities.
    This is in complete contrast to flying, where I have be requested to produce I.D on each and every flight over the same time period, with all return flights been through T1.

Just as a data point (and yes, I realise this has gone off-topic) – the last time I took the ferry was the late arrival into Holyhead. Our car was stopped for a random inspection on disembarking at about 12:30am, and it was almost ninety minutes later when they'd finished. I wasn't happy.

To move back on topic (mostly), when you cross a border there are formalities involved. While it'd be nice if they were quick it doesn't always work that way.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

when you cross a border there are formalities involved
    only sometimes.

Our respective governments have worked out an arrangement to minimize them, this arrangement is not consistently implemented at our side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

trellheim wrote: »
    only sometimes.

Our respective governments have worked out an arrangement to minimize them, this arrangement is not consistently implemented at our side.
    indeed,
    cross the land border either direction theres no systematic passport or ID checks
    cross the border by sea either direction theres no systematic passport or ID checks
    cross the border by air into the UK, theres no systematic passport or ID checks
    ONLY crossing the border into Ireland by air are there systematic passport or ID checks

Anyone saying that this makes sense, is logical, is consistent or that checks of all UK passengers in Dublin airport is necessary where in 5 out of 6 IRL-UK border crossing possibilities it isnt, needs to sit down and have a wee think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

The answer is yes unless it is a flight that originated within Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

screamer wrote: »
    I think we better get used to longer queues, the way the world is these days. Dublin is just one example of long queues. I went through Schipol with small babies a few weeks back and it took over an hour, trying to hold wriggly babies who were over-tired and fed up being handled. Even those using the automatic scanners were being called forward to processing booths. TBH, it's put me right off flying, and next time we go on holidays, it'll be on the ferry to France.

There are significantly worse queue's in Europe this summer. It's the new norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

Passed through a couple of times over the last few days. First time, on Wed eve last week in T2, the queue looked very long, but I timed it, and it took exactly five minutes. Some guy decided to skip the queue anyway and head for the shorter, non EU passport line. He kind of had a point as the desks said "all passports" but he was challenged and sent back with his tail between his legs, as the DAA person was directing EU passport holders to some of those booths as well. Then yesterday afternoon, in T1 it was quick and unremarkable as well. Traveling in and out of France was similar too.

It seems to be only specific times where the problem occurs. A work colleague was telling me the last time he went through, a non national in front of him was subjected to a public grilling that included reading out social media conversations off his phone with his girl friend. It sounded pretty humiliating for that to happen in public earshot. Apart from that the process took about 10-15 minutes and presumably it's when things like that happen that the queues start to backup.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

Either that, or move the queues further away from the booths, and if necessary out along the corridor

In that situation the person should have been taken to a private room and dealt with there.

I had a look at UK stats and their approach to the problem , if anyone takes the time to read them , yes its a different country with different laws, however the public nature of the stats published and public accountability can only be applauded ; these are slightly dated but you get the idea. Really good reports

http://icinspector.independent.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/An-Inspection-of-Border-Force-Operations-at-Stansted-Airport.pdf

https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmselect/cmhaff/523/52304.htm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

plodder wrote: »
    Passed through a couple of times over the last few days. First time, on Wed eve last week in T2, the queue looked very long, but I timed it, and it took exactly five minutes. Some guy decided to skip the queue anyway and head for the shorter, non EU passport line. He kind of had a point as the desks said "all passports" but he was challenged and sent back with his tail between his legs, as the DAA person was directing EU passport holders to some of those booths as well.

Anyone including EU Passport holders can use the "All Passports" queue, but even if it looks shorter, trust me it typically takes WAY longer. That is why he was likely directed back to the EU queue, for his own benefit.

My other half is a non EU passport holder, so when with her, I go through this queue. It takes absolutely ages. They do a very thorough and detailed check of each passport and person on this queue and if there is even a minor wrinkle, then you could be stuck there waiting 15 minutes as they interview the person ahead of you!

The EU passport queue might look much longer, but mostly they just quickly wave people through and for the most part much quicker. Needless to say I always use this queue when on my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Would love to see a passport card only queue. The kind of traveller to carry one glides through most parts of the airport, might as well streamline the last hurdle.

One that scans a driving license as well would be useful; the new DL standards are very strict .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

bk wrote: »
    My other half is a non EU passport holder, so when with her, I go through this queue. It takes absolutely ages

Same here.

I really wish those with a current valid GNIB card could use the EU Passport queue.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

90 seconds. Amazed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Noxegon wrote: »
    Same here.

I really wish those with a current valid GNIB card could use the EU Passport queue.

That would slow things down for EU passport holders as things can (and do) crop up with GNIB card holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

In that situation the person should have been taken to a private room and dealt with there.

Fred, any idea where such a room is?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,432 ✭✭✭✭L1011

T2 last night had much more perfunctory scanning of passports than I've had recently in the T1 Hall of Hell - without even looking at them for any appreciable time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

I've gotten that "Welcome home" line a few times when arriving home from particularly long-haul travel and obviously looking a bit disheveled. I've always found it a really nice touch.

Its just such a lovely contrast compared to the UK or US or various other fairly horrible immigration line experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Massive queues this morning at 1am. Never saw it like it before :mad:

whelan2 wrote: »
    Massive queues this morning at 1am. Never saw it like it before :mad:

Time it took?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Time it took?

About 25 minutes. Queue back to before last travelator and not moving

whelan2 wrote: »
    About 25 minutes. Queue back to before last travelator and not moving

25 minutes not to bad but not ideal.

Know people who flew to Malage recently and they took an hour to clear with two desks clearing IE/UK flights recently.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    25 minutes not to bad but not ideal.

Know people who flew to Malage recently and they took an hour to clear with two desks clearing IE/UK flights recently.

In fairness there were alot of desks open. Didn't expect to be delayed so long there at that time of the day. The woman in front of me recognised the woman in the booth and started talking about things to her. It's not the time or the place to have a chat with hundreds of tired people waiting behind you.

Advertisement