Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

lxflyer wrote: »
    Given that the new gates haven't been installed yet, I would find it very difficult to believe that validating the passport card won't be included in their specification.
    I'd agree the Irish passport card should work here, but they are quite different in appearance to the id page of a passport book. So, it's believable that they might not work in other countries, unless the format is standardised. The DFA info also says:
    You must have your current passport book in hand.
    Hard to see the point of it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

plodder wrote: »
    I'd agree the Irish passport card should work here, but they are quite different in appearance to the id page of a passport book. So, it's believable that they might not work in other countries, unless the format is standardised.

They are designed to ICAO specifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

Avada wrote: »
    They are designed to ICAO specifications.
    Immigration is hardly the responsibility of ICAO though. They can specify them, but they can't force countries to recognise them. Though I see there is a bit of hoopla about Ireland being the first to use them. So, maybe over time they will be automatically recognised elsewhere. The DFA advice suggests that might not be in the immediate future.

• Advertisement

Which means f all when arguing with a big Bundespolizei who is adamant of his position.

Oh I know that, my point was it is a standard specification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I'd hardly make that judgement before the machines actually arrive - given it's an Irish DFA card I would find it difficult to believe that the machines won't be set up to use it.

As for convenience, to you maybe not.

I find it much handier carrying a card with me in my wallet than a full passport book when I'm travelling around.

It also doubles up as ID in the event I have an accident or fall ill (I don't have a driver's licence).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

One could make the same point with regard to driving licenses which are to an EU standard, and have a really high validation level .

Following articles detail - for example French folk using their ID cards, which is a argument with some parallels

http://www.securitydocumentworld.com/article-details/i/12135/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its really frustrating that the DAA turnstyles cant read them. Fine they dont work abroad but at home they should at least. If the scanner in Poland can read the bios off it no reason they can't.

There are no DAA turnstiles currently in fairness, it was just a trial

What we are discussing is if the proposed tender for them will include options to deal with the majority of passengers ( i.e inbound CTA who do not require a passport ) , and secondarily if they will recognize the passport card .

I do not think it reasonable to just go out for a full size e-passport reader gates without an open debate about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very strange not to have the E-gates at the busiest time of year to be fair.

Its not a proposed tender. It's a completed tender which has been awarded.

Sorry - my apologies. Is there a link to etenders anywhere for the specs , they are public docs

trellheim wrote: »
    Sorry - my apologies. Is there a link to etenders anywhere for the specs , they are public docs

Its a Restricted tender. But it is published on etenders (reference SSB017F)

Avada, many thanks, I can see the tender etc. Is it awarded as I can't find the award on etenders for that from OGP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,508 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The passport is valid for travel within the EU. Some parts of the EU just haven't realised it yet.

trellheim wrote: »
    Avada, many thanks, I can see the tender etc. Is it awarded as I can't find the award on etenders for that from OGP

I'm not sure if the formalities are completed, I think the Veteran referred to it earlier, but I think the successful bidder has been chosen, hence the removal of the 'trial' e-gates.

It depends upon what you need your passport for.

Are you saying that immigration officials in EU airports have not accepted them?

Have you reported that to the DFA?

I've not had a problem with it yet in terms of being let through (although I usually avoid e-gates and use the manned booths).

For the vast majority of people that's the only place that they will need to show a passport - I appreciate you may have other scenarios, but that's somewhat the exception to most people?

• Advertisement

That is of no use to me.

It is just a fancy Age Card and has as much functionality.

To you, maybe not.

But for anybody who takes frequent trips around the EU or needs another form of ID, it is.

It was never supposed to replace the book, hence why you need to have a valid one to get the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,508 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm not sure i would take the chance of flying to the continent with only a garda age card as ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The passport card is just a "drinking age" ID for Ireland. Young ones were bringing their book passports out on the lash as ID and losing them ten to the dozen.

That's all it is to me. I don't need one I'm too old now lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Tender is awarded, don't know if contract signed but I know that various meetings, discussions, visits have taken place with the successful bidder.

As I understand it, the eGates will accept the irish passport card and ICAO compliant eCards.

Going back on how Gates work - they scan the document, open the encrypted chip, carry out validation on the document, take a photo of the person using it which is a digital image capable of biometric matching (not human sight) and then also run checks on the ID against watchlists. At each step each country sets its own requirements within the overall ICAO standards where they are relevant. A driving licence is not an ICAO compliant travel document in any event and is not a document acceptable for travel as per the Irish Immigration Acts.

It's not supposed to be any of the things you quote in the last paragraph as far as I'm aware.

It's use is to those who simply want it for the purposes of travelling around.

That I would suggest is the majority of people. For them (and I include myself in that) it's much handier.

It's a bit like Norwegian - it'll suit some people and not others.

Personally I find much handier than carrying a full book and it suits my purposes.

Where have you had these problems at airports?

Well I've travelled around with mine and not been stopped yet, so it hasn't been an issue for me.

Consequently I'm very happy with it.

This is the first I've heard of it not being accepted at this stage (I imagine that initially there could have been roll out issues).

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Yep. Some 2 years on from the first issue and they are still not accepted in some places. It is just easier and quicker to present the book than to spend 15 or 20 minutes in a room whilst they decide what to do with you. They always let you go in the end and tell you to take the matter up with the Irish government. Hassle I can do without at 6am in the morning.

If I want to get a residency permit from the local police department only the book will do them as proof of citizenship. Banks are the same. Full passport or bust.

I call absolute rubbish talk here, complete and utter scaremongering. Getting dragged into a police room, ha, what happened next did you get strip searched and beaten?

Do you realise that very few Europeans actually have a passport as they use their national id card while travelling in the EU (including outside schengen zone). Why would an emigration official in Brussels take a dislike to the Irish passport card?

I haven't taken my paper passport to Europe in the last 18mths and I travel frequently with work, and I've convinced my colleagues to do the same and I've not heard of one rejection.

Advertisement