Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Half of those signs are broken, so dont go by that as an indicator that they were closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I think that very shortsighted, here are some counter arguments;

- there are rival airports that the DAA don't own (Belfast x2, Kerry, knock & Shannon and potentially Waterford)
    - airlines will care, especially t1 airlines if regular passengers choose aer lingus over them because the risk of long queues is reduced
    - families may see this as another hassle not worth accepting in terms of the hassle flying brings with young families and may use another airport / domestic / ferry

I really don't see what a TD can / would do about it, do you really think of a. A person would complain and b. A TD would use their limited Dail to raise, that's daft.

A TD can seek a written answer to a question - Ministers are obliged to answer them.

But getting the answer that you want is a challenge - the question needs to be very specifically phrased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

Half of those signs are broken, so dont go by that as an indicator that they were closed.
    A big red "Dunta" was on all of the others, so I'd be inclined to be very strongly against your way of thinking there.

And if that's the story, a ladder and a bit of paper "Oscailt" might help. But hey look what thread we're in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Just for balance.

I used T1 on Monday and Wednesday this week. Flew through on the way out and same on the return. Very slick. Plenty of security staff on. Couple of minutes each way. Miles ahead of Amsterdam Schiphol which was my destination.

I used hand baggage only and fly in the middle of the day ..... I'm not a masochist :-)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

lxflyer wrote: »
    A TD can seek a written answer to a question - Ministers are obliged to answer them.

But getting the answer that you want is a challenge - the question needs to be very specifically phrased.

I know the process but my point is a. who would go to their TD and b. what TD would do it.

So John and Bridget arrive into their local waterford TDs clinic, join a large queue of people with real problems and say I was coming back from the canaries and I had to queue for 45 mins?

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    A big red "Dunta" was on all of the others, so I'd be inclined to be very strongly against your way of thinking there.

And if that's the story, a ladder and a bit of paper "Oscailt" might help. But hey look what thread we're in.

The buttons on a lot of them are broken so you can't change them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I know the process but my point is a. who would go to their TD and b. what TD would do it.

So John and Bridget arrive into their local waterford TDs clinic, join a large queue of people with real problems and say I was coming back from the canaries and I had to queue for 45 mins?

They can email their TD - I've done so on several occasions.

No need to actually go and spend ages doing what you suggest.

A TD will follow up a query that a constituent raises with whoever is relevant - that's their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Just for balance.

I used T1 on Monday and Wednesday this week. Flew through on the way out and same on the return. Very slick. Plenty of security staff on. Couple of minutes each way. Miles ahead of Amsterdam Schiphol which was my destination.

I used hand baggage only and fly in the middle of the day ..... I'm not a masochist :-)

"Balance" needs context in the sense, that nobody is doubting that there arent issues at certain times of the week.

however, its clear there are issues during busier times (aka at night time) and this is down to bad management and practices that should be better for a supposedly world class airport.

and its also quite clear that the DAA appear to be more focused on not exceeding ridiculous targets rather customer satisfaction.

I know some of these things are what they are ... but honestly does the ladder and a bit of paper not sound like something here. Do you not see how soul destroying that is for someone off a long flight to end up in one apparently open hatch if they're not from the EU - how is that a welcome ?

I know some of these things are what they are ... but honestly does the ladder and a bit of paper not sound like something here. Do you not see how soul destroying that is for someone off a long flight to end up in one apparently open hatch if they're not from the EU - how is that a welcome ?

No, because they realise very quickly that there isn't only 1 open.

• Advertisement

Then turn all of them off ... take the power out.... why is this so hard for you guys ? Dont you genuinely get you are "first impressions ?"

Then turn all of them off ... take the power out.... why is this so hard for you guys ? Dont you genuinely get you are "first impressions ?"

I don't work there, I'm just explaining why the signs were Dúnta.

Sorry .. it sounded as if you did in fairness as your knowledge seems close enough.

Sorry .. it sounded as if you did in fairness as your knowledge seems close enough.

I did work there in the past, just not currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I went over and back to LCY yesterday

Security outbound at T1 at 0605 had only approx 50% of the lanes working, however it was reasonably quick to get through.

I came through T1 last night at 21:55

Half empty hall

One - exactly one - hatch for non eu passports - and before anyone tells me that's a fib - there was exactly one lit sign "Non EU Passports"

the rest of the EU passports were on a go-slow by all appearances, the queue was moving at only < half the speed as usual , the boss must have been around watching. Coming from the 200 gates, time from entrance to the queue to exit to baggage hall 9 minutes 45 seconds.

The queueing system to the new immigration desks need to be really looked at , its a bottleneck

A general point is that T1 security is not operating at capacity so not a suprise that only 50% are only at this hour.

Thank you.

At peak times - summer first wave - through the busiest terminal - why on earth not ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Avada wrote: »

Avada wrote: »

This is golden. You couldn't make it up.

Public service work ethic at its very best once again.

It's quite possible that using a ladder isn't written down in the job description.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Negative_G wrote: »
    This is golden. You couldn't make it up.
    Public service work ethic at its very best once again.
    On the ball.

We can complain all we like here or on the night when we're queuing in anger and then get even angrier here reading all the ridiculous attempts at defending the indefensible. The simple fact is they don't care. Why should they? There are no repercussions. The creators and organisers of this fiasco will not be disciplined and will continue to be paid no matter what lengths the queues are. Nothing will change until that does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Thank you.

At peak times - summer first wave - through the busiest terminal - why on earth not ?

Because only two or three flights depart from 300 gates (rest processed in T2). If it was a case of long delays they would look at opening additional lines but once the queue is moving along there is not need to wast money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I went over and back to LCY yesterday

Security outbound at T1 at 0605 had only approx 50% of the lanes working, however it was reasonably quick to get through.

I came through T1 last night at 21:55

Half empty hall

One - exactly one - hatch for non eu passports - and before anyone tells me that's a fib - there was exactly one lit sign "Non EU Passports"

the rest of the EU passports were on a go-slow by all appearances, the queue was moving at only < half the speed as usual , the boss must have been around watching. Coming from the 200 gates, time from entrance to the queue to exit to baggage hall 9 minutes 45 seconds.

The queueing system to the new immigration desks need to be really looked at , its a bottleneck
    Should it bother me so much that the queue is called "EU", not EEA/CH? :s It certainly does bother those Swiss people at 11.30am...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This was covered earlier but most places use a standardized sign mentioning EU, EEA and CH. I certainly haven't noticed Swiss people complaining about the "EU" signage anywhere except in Dublin.

Many people act all mollified and hurt when Ireland is implied to be a part of the UK, I'm sure DAA staff would be among them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Coming home from my hols tommorrow through T1 tommorrow evening. Wish me luck. I will report back here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Came though it yesterday evening, through in less than 2 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

superg wrote: »
    Came though it yesterday evening, through in less than 2 minutes.

Yeah I passed today with no hitches. Theres was a queue at two passport booths but the other two had barely any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Arrived in to T1 from CDG on Friday around 1.30pm. Got through passport control in less than 3 minutes. I was delighted as I had a bus to catch back to Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

One of the busiest weeks in the busiest Summer ever and no-one complaining (about queues anyway) ... we must be something right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I'll be through later in the week watch this space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

I'll be through later in the week watch this space

Let us know when and we will get the red carpet out ... but only for you, no-one else!

Wouldn't want anyone impersonating you so make sure you provide us full details in advance to our secure mail account!

Advertisement